Review: Bulletstorm

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Nikolaz72 said:
Why not put a chain around him then headshot him off the cliff with a shotgun <_<
It's not a proper shotgun, it fire's air but enough to push you back and possibly fall off a cliff, or simply get knocked down...i kid you not.

OT: i will definitely be getting this =D one of 5 titles i want this year, might get me using my Xbox again, not being using it that much lately =\

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
That review was the most excited one I'ver ever heard out of good old Russel. It must be fun to make him so childishly giddy.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wow when I first read the review I thought you were just hating on the story because it's bad (which really it isn't all that bad although Steve Blum seems to have phoned it in. I am sad over that). I mean sure unless it pulls some Planet of the Apes twist the setting makes no sense. But wow the story does nothing but get in the way. Chaining you to useless NPCs that do more to interfere with the fun than improve it.

Although they must be commended. I mean it takes real skill to give you a giant robot dinosaur to play with and make it not fun to play. I spent 10 rage inducing minutes trying to take down 2 choppers due to the whack controls of it.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
Sennz0r said:
Damn I want to launch dudes into the air, attach grenades to them and then drill a hole in their crotches with that drill-gun. I lament my near-empty bank account :(

EDIT: Anyone buying this for PC (hard copy or Steam) let me know how Games for Windows Live is worked into this. I'd like to know whether it cripples certain modes one way or another.
The PC version (even the Steam one) uses GfWL but it shouldn't be to intrusive, and you'll need to hack the ini-file a bit (very easy, there was a working decryptor out hours after release, just google it) to disable the mouse smoothing (which for some incomprehensible reason is on by default) and to kill the FPS cap if you choose.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
Sennz0r said:
Damn I want to launch dudes into the air, attach grenades to them and then drill a hole in their crotches with that drill-gun. I lament my near-empty bank account :(

EDIT: Anyone buying this for PC (hard copy or Steam) let me know how Games for Windows Live is worked into this. I'd like to know whether it cripples certain modes one way or another.
The PC version (even the Steam one) uses GfWL but it shouldn't be to intrusive, and you'll need to hack the ini-file a bit (very easy, there was a working decryptor out hours after release, just google it) to disable the mouse smoothing (which for some incomprehensible reason is on by default) and to kill the FPS cap if you choose.
Why the hell would they want to screw with your settings like that forcefully. I'm a gamer, I can set stuff up the way I like it without MS holding my hand.
Big thanks for the heads up, friend. Appreciate it :)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
You forgot to mention it has the best voice actor of all time.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Dammit, Russ, you made me think too hard about dicktits. &#3232;_&#3232;

I'm glad, though, that this game is insanely fun, if nothing else. Seems kind of strange that they hire Rick Remender to write the story and it's cliched garbage. I'd thought of him as decent writer.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I think this review sold me on the game. Anything that gets a critic really excited is always worth a shot.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I am not an FPS fan but I am very happy this game exists. Go forth and reap what you sow! And by "reap" I mean "skill points" and by "sow" I mean "creative violence".

Incidentally, is the challenge of this game primarily racking up skill points? I downloaded the admittedly very short demo, but even for a piss-poor FPSer like myself, it wasn't very hard (though my last FPS experience was "Death from unknown angles every 90 seconds" Modern Warfare 2, so take that as you will).

Ganthrinor said:
I find the use of P.O.D's "Boom" to be both apropriate and highly ironic.

Christian Rock used to accentuate sensless violence for the sake of amusement and excessive profanity?

I award you One Million-Billion-Billion Points.
When this song first came out 9 years ago it was used in Every. Single. Action. Movie. Trailer. Usually in sync with a car or helicopter blowing up.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
that... actually sounds like a lot of fun! Also that game doesn't look as pointlessly bloody as i thought it would be (excessive gore is a bit of a turn off for me) i may have managed to confuse it with splatterhouse though. Hey maybe i'll end up getting this after all.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Da Joz said:
I played the demo and it seems like its a fun game but it would get repetitive and boring pretty quickly for me.
The demo is a pretty good representation of the basic core game play. That's actually from fairly late in the game, so it's odd that there aren't any of the tougher bad guys in it. That's probably the longest stretch in the game that features the basic cannon fodder enemies.

The game builds upon that base extremely well.

There's also various enemies that you can't leash until you wear them down. All of the weapons you use are used against you, so every so often you'll find yourself wrapped up in a Flail Charge or getting hit by a Screamer round. There's even these mutants that are mostly immune to gunfire (you have to hit brightly colored weak spots). Mini-bosses, giant bosses, and some epic set-pieces.

Over-all, I think it's a pretty good melding of a throw-back shooter and a modern shooter. The ability to swap out weapons regularly (and fairly high ammo counts) means I feel comfortable experimenting with different weapons. The story is pretty light-weight, but it's got enough variables that I don't know exactly how it's going to sort itself out beyond the broad strokes. More importantly said story really doesn't get in the way of the action (the exception being some Gears-style slow walking).

And I'm liking Echo Mode a lot. I don't really do multiplayer, so most shooters are done in 6-10 hours, never to be played again. Dividing up the game into bite-size high-action chunks is a stroke of genius. Already I've spent a couple of hours playing around with them. And it's the first FPS in a long while that I plan on playing it again on a harder difficulty. Can't remember the last time I wanted to play a FPS a second time... probably Serious Sam.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
jackpipsam said:
How much did they get paid for this?
I don't think Russ got paid. Even given that the Escapist office is probably not more than an hour from Epic HQ(in bad traffic) I don't think there was an exchange of anything going on with this. I think Russ just shut his brain down and enjoyed the game.

I do wonder what a second review would be from that office though. I don't know if anyone else could have been as excited. I think I'm going to ask CliffyB on twitter when the DLC to remove the story from single player mode is coming out.

colourblind

Feb 2, 2011
Im on my second play through of Bulletstorm now and well I have to say it lives up to my expectations of being a big dumb dick joke shoot em up and I love it.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
gibboss28 said:
I want this game. Bah gotta wait until Friday for it, stupid UK release date.
why do we in england have to wait longer?

And i'm getting this on 9th march! can't wait!!!

Mutak

Oct 29, 2009
Calling this game stupid fun is both accurate and a disservice to the game itself. Yes, it is stupid fun, but it's also more than that. Bulletstorm is a crass and gory symphony of mayhem. It's ridiculous and over the top and it knows it - revels in it. It allows you to run and gun without much thought, but also allows you to carefully and methodically plot your every move to maximize your score if that's how you want to play it. Bulletstorm lets you create a fucking ballet of violence.

I find it utterly fascinating that in the echoes and anarchy modes of the game, the enemies aren't the challenge - they are a scarce resource you expend while trying to meet the challenge of stringing together as many ridiculous combos as possible for points. That sort of innovation combined with great visuals, stupid fun gameplay, and a very polished experience overall makes Bulletstorm a breed apart from the other titles out there.