Review: Civilization V

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Civilization V

It?s not your grandpappy?s Civilization, but it?s the best one in a long while.

Read Full Article

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
can't wait my friend, can not wait.

Though admittedly I'm an old school Civ fan. i never played Civ 3 or 4. But I still play 2 to this day. I hope that the changes of over 10 years of development don't put me off.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Bah... I hate having to wait a full week for this.

And I'll need to install a new processor by then... Damn it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Damn it, from Steam: "This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 22 hours"

I'm seriously thinking on freezing myself in time... 21st can't come soon enough >.<'.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I normally don't get preorders, or even games at full price, usually waiting for a good Steam sale instead. But I did preorder Civ V and can't wait to play it.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
SupahGamuh said:
Damn it, from Steam: "This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 22 hours"

I'm seriously thinking on freezing myself in time... 21st can't come soon enough >.<'.
Don't do it! The freezer might fail to wake you on time and you could be trapped, thousands of years into the future, in a society where no computer runs archaic Windows games anymore, never to play Civilization V.

A fate worse than death.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Wow. After this review, I have to say this is the most I've wanted to play a Civ game since playing hotseat Civ II with my Dad. Good times... good times. :)

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Woah! Didn't know the game was coming out this soon! Dang, I really want to play this game now. *mumbles about crappy computer and lack of funds*

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
At first I wanted to get this real back, but now I heard they'll include some civs and scenarios in paid DLCs.. I don't really want to pay for downloads to get my game complete :| If I have to do that, I rather just buy an expansion pack in store. Or perhaps they'll do it the valve way ._. I really hope they do. I'll wait how this goes before I buy this one. I loved CIV IV though.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Some niggling problems were fixed outright. It always bugged me in previous Civs that you were rewarded for building roads in every single tile. In Civ V, roads and some other improvements have a maintenance cost so you need to pick and choose what your workers build wisely. Thankfully, you don't have to connect each resource with a road anymore, merely building the corresponding improvement within your borders does the trick. Finding strategic resources Iron and Horses is doubly important now because each resource only lets you build a finite number of units. For example, building a mine on an Iron tile might only net you two Iron, from which you can only build two Swordsmen. It's a brilliant system, because it forces the kind of strategic decisions that Civ is all about.
YES!!! This is always what I wanted to see in a Civ game. No roads on every tile is a nice touch, but I always hated it how having access to a single resource gave you an unlimited supply to it. Especially in the later stages in the game with modern resources like oil and uranium. We all know how important oil is in the real world, but in past Civ's all you or the AI's needed to do was secure one obscure oil patch and they could build all the tanks/jets/battleships they wanted. Now securing multiple resources will actually become strategic!

There's two other nitpicks I've always had that I wonder if they did anything with:

1. Difficulty levels. The way it's always worked in Civ you the player have on difficulty slider to move up and down, but behind the scenes there are two: one to gives bonuses to the AI, one to handicap the human player. So by increasing the difficulty, you simultaneously make the AI stronger while handicapping yourself, why can't you just choose to do one or the other? I always end up looking for stronger AI opponents, but hate the handicaps that get applied to my Civ at the same time. I feel like the only one though so doubt this changes in Civ V, but maybe I can mod it...

2. Take it or leave it Diplomacy demands. I tend to play with a lot of Civ's, so it gets tough to keep track of who's friendly with who. So it's a pain in the ass when my turn comes up, and AI Civ 1 demands I stop trading with AI Civ 2, I can't stop and check how this will effect AI Civ's 3-16 depending on who's friends with who. Rather you have to Accept or Reject on the spot, and can't proceed until you do. Why can't you minimize the window and leave the diplomacy offer standing, and give an offer when you're done your turn?

In addition to the resource thing, if these happen to be taken care of as well then Civ V will be perfect for me.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Giant Death Robot!!!

Cant wait for Civ V! GOing to be epic!

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
You talking about the game made me want to play it.
STOP RUBBING IT IN OUR FACES ._.

It's all pre-loaded on my PC and waiting for the unlock. Such a huge tease.

Civ IV it is.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Unfortunately, my computer can't run it. I'm stoked for the hex grid and revamped combat/resource system, tho. Hopefully sometime next year I can upgrade and check this out.

Nice to see an actual review of the system this time. I wasn't wowed by the "I am Hiawatha, chief of the Iroquois" story-telling "review" thingy a little while back.

In Civ 4's defense, you didn't have to build roads everywhere in that iteration either. Well, you had to connect resources to cities, and mines/lumbermills benefited from railroads, but.. yeah. Civ 5 does sound like an improvement; I guess I just really like Civ 4 (and I liked the religion system in Civ 4.. its removal for Civ 5 is probably the one thing that bums me out).