Review: Civilization V

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Preloaded and making me sad that I can't touch it. CURSE YOU PRELOAD STEAM CURSE YOOOOOOOOOU!

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Wow, it looks like this is one of the first Civilization V reviews out there. Neither Gamespot or IGN have one up yet, and Metacritic only shows two. Looks like The Escapist's coming up in the gaming media world.

Also I'm very glad, and somewhat received, to see the game is getting good reviews. I only started playing Civilization with IV, so you couldn't really call me a long-time fan, and I wasn't sure Civ V would be new enough to be worth buying, but I went ahead and preordered it on Steam anyway. So I'm glad to see it looks like a good choice.

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
I shouldn't have read that. I've just dug up Civ IV for a last hurrah, but now I'm thinking that it's not going to compare to this glorious image of Civ V that's in my head. Oh well, hopefully it'll fill the void.

There is just so much to look forward to, I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a game coming out.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
RandV80 said:
Why can't you minimize the window and leave the diplomacy offer standing, and give an offer when you're done your turn?
I don't know if the same demands will be all over the place, but I do know that Civ V isn't supposed to have that sort of immediate response thing happening. Instead, alerts will show up in a queue that you'll have to resolve to end your turn. That's the impression I got from some of their pre-release materials at least.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I bought it already, its preloaded, i even bought the stupid deluxe edition even though there is little "deluxe" about it.

Greg: thank you for letting us know that this is your favorite Civ to date. I've read all your articles on the game subject thus far, and this was the last question I had. I've been a Civ 2 person throughout the years, and not a single advance excites me more than the end of the stack of doom.

I'm taking tuesday off work, probably wednesday. Hey, im a senior grad student writing papers rather than working in the lab-- I HAVE THIS OPTION.

procyonlotor said:
Did someone mention Alpha Centauri?

There really needs to be a sequel.
Well, get modding sir. Shouldn't be hard to modify the tilesets and create a new alpha centauri right here on top of Civ V. Thats the beauty of both Civ and the PC platform. You want it? IT CAN BE YOURS.

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
SupahGamuh said:
Damn it, from Steam: "This game will unlock in approximately 3 days and 22 hours"

I'm seriously thinking on freezing myself in time... 21st can't come soon enough >.<'.
Don't do it! The freezer might fail to wake you on time and you could be trapped, thousands of years into the future, in a society where no computer runs archaic Windows games anymore, never to play Civilization V.

A fate worse than death.
Hello, Civilization LXXXIV

iamjonah

Feb 19, 2010
Serious question (sorry if it sounds like trolling - it's not meant to):
The last Civ game that I liked was Civ2 (which, IMO, has only been surpassed by Alpha Centauri).

I played Civ3 - it made me want to claw my own eyes out (something about swarms of swordmen constantly taking out my helicopters).

I played Civ4 - it only made me want to heavily scratch my eyes - still didn't like it, though. Combat was still a mess, IMO, and the trade and diplomacy was ridiculous (the PC would never seem to accept fair deals, regardless of culture)

So, given that I loved Civ2, but pretty much hated Civ3 and Civ4, will I like this game or not?

Thanks in advance!

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
Yep, thsi christmas I'm hoping it goes on Steam Sale.

I enjoyed Civ 3: The first and last one I played.

Seriously, with rome TW, Starcraft II and Knights ofthe Old Republic(bought for 2.50) I can wait til' then

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Review: Civilization V

It?s not your grandpappy?s Civilization, but it?s the best one in a long while.

Read Full Article
Sir, while thermonuclear war may be a game, the consequences are no joke. Seriouslly though, looks like I've got two digital games to pick up this weekend now that I know about Minecraft.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Go to your local game store and buy it right now. Do it.
Fixed. A legendary game like this deserves shelf space. That way, you will have something to play when the apocalypse comes. :p

Anyway, thank you for the review. This finally titled me towards waiting to get a new PC and buy this rather than buy the complete version of Civ IV. This just seems like an overall better game.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
I can't believe they improved the nuke animation, I didn't think that was possible.

<3 <3 <3

By the way, how's the music?

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
iamjonah said:
So, given that I loved Civ2, but pretty much hated Civ3 and Civ4, will I like this game or not?

Thanks in advance!
That's a good question, iamjonah. Civ and Civ 2 fell under the same problems that you describe for Civ 3 and Civ 4, I believe. At least in my games, spearmen beat tanks (or swordsmen beat helicopters) a lot more in the earlier games than in Civ 3 or 4. Still, Civ V's combat feels completely different and more tactical, so hopefully your eyes will stay intact.

The diplomacy system is similar to Civ 4, easier difficulty levels like Chieftain or Warlord allows for easier trading but once you play on Prince, I'm afraid that other Civs are just as stingy as you describe.

Not sure if that's what you wanted to hear, but that's what I thought. Let me know if you have any more questions.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
Giant..
Death..
Ro-
*chaching*
Yeah, I'm more sold than ever..

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Fearzone said:
So, I'm assuming that kid in school gave you a legally purchased copy. =p
Um, right. Sure he did.

This was before I figured out that pirating was bad. I've since grown up quite a bit, but I'm glad I was able to play Civ when I did. I'm hooked.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
Supp said:
By the way, how's the music?
It's awesome and Civilization specific. I just noticed as I played during lunch today that the music playing as the Americans was the melody from "America the Beautiful."

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
You made me reinstall Civilization IV since Civ V isn't out here yet.

I just played it for 4 hours straight. Civilization should be classed as an addictive drug.

minotaur199

Sep 10, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
You made me reinstall Civilization IV since Civ V isn't out here yet.

I just played it for 4 hours straight. Civilization should be classed as an addictive drug.
Same thing here. Played the Civ IV for about 4 hours, can't wait for the Civ V. There should be Civ Addiction Centers.