John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Darksiders

The Legend of Zelda gets apocalyptic.

Read Full Article

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
sounds awesome, a must buy in next month where i dont have to live on a hobo budget anymore, also i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I honestly don't see the Zelda in this game, sure it has puzzles and dungeon trekking but it doesn nearly have the same feel LoZ does, but on its own it is an ok game.

swaki said:
i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.
I second this!

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I'm honestly surprised (and somewhat dissapointed) that this game isn't out for PC yet actually. THQ is a well-known supporter of Microsoft's Games For Windows Live system, and, much as I hate the program, it does seem odd that they didn't port this game. I realize that control might be a bit wonky, but other games in this vein have, in my experience, translated to the PC without heavy control issues, such as DMC3 and 4.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Well, since Legend of Zelda officially went divebomb with the DS releases, I guess I'll go with this. Besides, it means I won't have to bring back my Wii from depths of hell yet unknown to Satan himself.
Besides, gore and grittiness is something I've always wanted to see in Zelda

DeviousJ

Nov 9, 2009
This sounds like a game for me. I only wonder if the game is too repetitious. Similar monsters, similar puzzles...
I can stand a game using same schemes in different levels, but I hope it don't gets too heavy.
Also I wonder how the balance between fighting and puzzles is.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
LeonLethality said:
I honestly don't see the Zelda in this game, sure it has puzzles and dungeon trekking but it doesn nearly have the same feel LoZ does, but on its own it is an ok game.
Minus the introduction, so far it feels exactly like Legend of Zelda to me. For me, it's in the details where the similarities really shine through. You collect 4 Lifeshard(heart) pieces to increase your health, cars(pots and grass) can be smashed open for souls(rupies), letter boxing when targeting and solving puzzles, and the list goes on. And I am loving every post apocalyptic minutes of it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Slycne said:
LeonLethality said:
Minus the introduction, so far it feels exactly like Legend of Zelda to me. For me, it's in the details where the similarities really shine through. You collect 4 Lifeshard(heart) pieces to increase your health, cars(pots and grass) can be smashed open for souls(rupies), letter boxing when targeting and solving puzzles, and the list goes on. And I am loving every post apocalyptic minutes of it.
The Watcher needed more "Hey! Listen!", IMO.

swaki said:
sounds awesome, a must buy in next month where i dont have to live on a hobo budget anymore, also i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.
Haro might return someday ;)

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Slycne said:
LeonLethality said:
I know they are very similar but I said it doesn't feel like Zelda at all, it feels just like most games of its genre (Which is not a bad thing) I guess to me nothing can replicate the experience of Zelda.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
LeonLethality said:
Slycne said:
LeonLethality said:
I know they are very similar but I said it doesn't feel like Zelda at all, it feels just like most games of its genre (Which is not a bad thing) I guess to me nothing can replicate the experience of Zelda.
To each their own, I was simply pointing out that it was the little details, more so then just puzzles and dungeons, that took me back to yesteryear of playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Christmas morning.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Certainly sounds intresting, then input of a Portal like gun! Ok! Im sold..lol, looks like January going to be another busy month for games!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Renting first. I mean, this whole "Horseman of the Apocalypse" thing just doesn't sound cool to me...And I bet I'm the only one here that thinks that, btw.

Besides, I'm too fucking busy getting my ass kicked doing my Hard mode run in Bayonetta...Seriously, I can't get the hang of any weapon set except for "Katana + Ice Skates" which makes my ranged options limited.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Considering that the artists at Blizzard basically copied Joe Mad! (The artist of Darksiders) for WoW's Aesthetic, I find it kind of infuriating that people are calling his work derivative of WoW. However, WoW's massive popularization of his style does mean that it doesn't look that special anymore and he should work on changing things up a little.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Great review Funk. I think this is one I'll have to pick up because of my enjoyment for blood spilling in games and Zelda action.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PedroSteckecilo said:
Considering that the artists at Blizzard basically copied Joe Mad! (The artist of Darksiders) for WoW's Aesthetic, I find it kind of infuriating that people are calling his work derivative of WoW. However, WoW's massive popularization of his style does mean that it doesn't look that special anymore and he should work on changing things up a little.
Well yeah, I'm not saying he copied WoW, just that for many modern gamers it's going to be probably the thing that comes to mind.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
One thing I really liked about this game is the bosses were slightly more puzzle-like then twitch based (for the most part, there's some quick dodging/throwing you have to do occasionally). Outside of a certain teleport spamming jerk, I enjoyed figuring out and playing through all the boss fights.

And there's a few segments where you go through a series of arena fights with different requirements (kill 50 enemies before your slowly draining life runs out, Kill 30 enemies with air combos, etc) that were half tutorial, half awesome mayhem of chopping up a room full of baddies. I made the mistake of playing on hard mode and did fine until I hit two of the big charging demons at once, and they would consistently one shot me with cross-fire. :(

Regarding Art: Penny Arcade [http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/1/8/] said it pretty well, and linked to the character artist's galleries here: http://www.joemadfan.com/gallery

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
xitel said:
I'm honestly surprised (and somewhat dissapointed) that this game isn't out for PC yet actually. THQ is a well-known supporter of Microsoft's Games For Windows Live system, and, much as I hate the program, it does seem odd that they didn't port this game. I realize that control might be a bit wonky, but other games in this vein have, in my experience, translated to the PC without heavy control issues, such as DMC3 and 4.
And when controls do get wonky, you plug in a gamepad and continue. Theyre not even that expensive and they come in useful from time to time.

Im going to hope it eventually gets ported. Slim chance, but a girl can hope, right? Than so can I. :)