Review: Darksiders

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
LeonLethality said:
I honestly don't see the Zelda in this game, sure it has puzzles and dungeon trekking but it doesn nearly have the same feel LoZ does, but on its own it is an ok game.

swaki said:
i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.
I second this!
A agree with this. The game feels more like Dynasty Warriors or DMC and Prototype than Legend of Zelda. Roommate played it for a few hours and I watched, seeing no Zelda-like aspects aside from the occasional puzzle room (which was presented as more separate dungeon than a room in a dungeon).

I'm sticking with Bayonetta for now. I'll pick this up when it drops to around 20 bucks probably.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
The game looks totally awesome. There is no really location loading. You know, what Oblivion should have been like, in the sense that it's all one map.

Great review btw.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PxDn Ninja said:
LeonLethality said:
I honestly don't see the Zelda in this game, sure it has puzzles and dungeon trekking but it doesn nearly have the same feel LoZ does, but on its own it is an ok game.

swaki said:
i liked your old avatar better, despite not knowing what it was, it was cute.
I second this!
A agree with this. The game feels more like Dynasty Warriors or DMC and Prototype than Legend of Zelda. Roommate played it for a few hours and I watched, seeing no Zelda-like aspects aside from the occasional puzzle room (which was presented as more separate dungeon than a room in a dungeon).

I'm sticking with Bayonetta for now. I'll pick this up when it drops to around 20 bucks probably.
If it was the first hour or two, then yes, there's nothing Zelda there. It isn't until you hit the dungeons that it starts SCREAMING Zelda at the top of its lungs - to me, anyway.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
If Darksiders is ever released on PC (and the rumour mill says it will) then the FIRST thing I will be looking for will be how to import Legend of Zelda music and sound effect.

Oh it would be such win!

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
One of the better purchases I have made lately, it has to be said. And who cares if it rips off God of War and Zelda a bit? There is a saying 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery', and that rings true here.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
Hey John... there actually is a jingle when you solve a puzzle in Darksiders, you can hear it in this video at around 1:18 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K380wHt7PHs]. The first time I heard it, I actually laugh because that more or less sealed the deal on this being a Zelda game. For those of you thinking this game is more of beat-em up instead of a puzzle solving game, do watch the video :p.

I don't mind the fact that it's basically Zelda... I love Zelda. To me thought, it's actually better than Zelda in many ways - I loved Brutal Legend despite it being a so-so game because of the graphical style... and Darksiders is incredibly metal. The game's aesthetic and artistic's voice are way superior to Zelda's... for me, anyway.

I'm really enjoying the combat system. I love that once you've trained yourself to anticipate the different's enemies' attack pattern, you're almost untouchable and the whole screen just fills with a over the top dance of death.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
John Funk said:
If it was the first hour or two, then yes, there's nothing Zelda there. It isn't until you hit the dungeons that it starts SCREAMING Zelda at the top of its lungs - to me, anyway.
I saw him enter the first dungeon, but it still didn't have much of a Zelda feel. But I wasn't the player, and maybe that has something to do with it (though he didn't see it either).

All I have been hearing is it is like zelda because "It has dungeons, a boomerang, and a hookshot"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PxDn Ninja said:
John Funk said:
I saw him enter the first dungeon, but it still didn't have much of a Zelda feel. But I wasn't the player, and maybe that has something to do with it (though he didn't see it either).

All I have been hearing is it is like zelda because "It has dungeons, a boomerang, and a hookshot"
It's much more than that. It's a game that relies heavily on exploration and puzzles rather than just combat, shares' the Zelda pattern of "Go to a dungeon, explore dungeon, find switches and push blocks to access new areas, find you cannot access new area without power/item/ability, fight miniboss to get said power/item/ability, solve more puzzles with your new power/item/ability, fight boss where said power/item/ability plays a huge role, get an extra heart container life stone."

If you play the game, it's absolutely unmistakable once you're in the dungeons.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Y'all have to define "Zelda Feel". From what Mr. Funk is saying, it borrows heavily from that franchise, so heavily in fact that its inspiration is left across the entire game. What makes Darksiders different from a Zelda game? Less dialogue? Not as heroic theming? Less undercurrent of magic or whimsy?

I'd check it out but I'm already committed to Mass Effect 2 this month, not to mention the things I got over the holidays. But post-apocalypse puzzle-dipped action = yes.

Bluesclues

Dec 18, 2009
I have it, I love it. Trying to buy myself time before I beat it by grind-leveling the weapons. Haha.

And yes, as a long time Zelda fan, it's all there. The puzzle-solving, the weapon similarities, the dungeon schematics...Darksiders was definitely inspired heavily by Zelda...more so OoT.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
pneuma08 said:
What makes Darksiders different from a Zelda game? Less dialogue? Not as heroic theming? Less undercurrent of magic or whimsy?
Once you take off the layer of blood, gore and teenage power fantasy (which are all very well done btw), what really is different between Zelda and Darksiders is how over the top Darksider is. I don't remember monsters or encounters being this crazy and 'omgdidIjustdothat?' in Zelda.

PxDn Ninja

Jan 30, 2008
John Funk said:
PxDn Ninja said:
John Funk said:

It's much more than that. It's a game that relies heavily on exploration and puzzles rather than just combat, shares' the Zelda pattern of "Go to a dungeon, explore dungeon, find switches and push blocks to access new areas, find you cannot access new area without power/item/ability, fight miniboss to get said power/item/ability, solve more puzzles with your new power/item/ability, fight boss where said power/item/ability plays a huge role, get an extra heart container life stone."

If you play the game, it's absolutely unmistakable once you're in the dungeons.
I'll definitely give it a shot once I finish my current slew of titles (ME2, Bayanetta, Saboteur, OF:Dragon Rising). The gameplay looked fun as hell when he played it, and perhaps then I'll see the Zelda qualities. What is the total play time roughly for the title? Is it a 10 hour game or 40 hour game, so to speak?

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
wow, i really really want to try that. didn't happen to see what systems that is releasing on...

and the music at the end fits perfectly! makes me want it even more!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
What is it with all you Mass Effect 2 piners not getting this game? I bought it precisely to keep my mind AWAY from the multiple weeks of waiting for ME2.

It is also awesome and having never heard of this Joe Mad fellow before today, it transpires that his art style is precisely what I've been trying to aspire to, should I break the damned shackles of realism in the one alien character I can actually draw.

Tuh. Now if I get better I'm ripping him off.

300lb. Samoan said:
wow, i really really want to try that. didn't happen to see what systems that is releasing on...
360 and PS3.