Review: Darksiders

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I bought this on release day and had a blast with it, though I think the combat plays a bigger role than this review says it does.

Oh, and the ending (I felt) was totally badass.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
300lb. Samoan said:
and the music at the end fits perfectly! makes me want it even more!
Lord Thodin said:
The zelda music while war is riding on "epona" at the end made me shit my pants laughing
Glad you both liked that, I thought it would be a nice way to tie everything said together.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I was able to grab this game as a rental on January 2nd, finished it, did a dance of joy at how indredibly cool it was and then bought it when it came out. The only gripes I had with it were fiddly controls towards the end (due to constantly having to reassign buttons) and a bland/generic soundtrack, but aside from those things Darksiders really does everything right.
Good review, Funk!

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Im surprised the reviewer missed that Darksiders DOES have a zelda-esque sound when you solve puzzles.

Anyway I love it, and already beat it twice.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
Spinwhiz said:
Great review Funk.
i second that. i love this game so much and i'm glad someone besides myself did a review on it...and that it was professional...and that people will actually see it, you know what I'm gunna go play now.

Ghonzor

Jul 29, 2009
Tarkand said:
pneuma08 said:
What makes Darksiders different from a Zelda game? Less dialogue? Not as heroic theming? Less undercurrent of magic or whimsy?
Once you take off the layer of blood, gore and teenage power fantasy (which are all very well done btw), what really is different between Zelda and Darksiders is how over the top Darksider is. I don't remember monsters or encounters being this crazy and 'omgdidIjustdothat?' in Zelda.
You seem to forget the part of Twilight Princess that makes you feel like a Western gunslinger. That was by far my favorite part of the game.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Pretty good review. I would get this game if I had a PS3.

Though... one problem... in your review, you point out that the "bulging shoulder pads" are reminscient of World of Warcraft... problem is, that sort of thing dates bake to the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K tabletop-figurine strategy games (just look at the space marine designs)... I know that this is a minor quibble, but I do think accuracy is important.

Jun 15, 2009
John Funk said:
Review: Darksiders

The Legend of Zelda gets apocalyptic.

Read Full Article
I watched this review just so i could hear the signature "Hi, I'm John Fnnk", it's my favourite part. It's good to see someone not ripping on this game for being unoriginal, I might pick it up because I don't have an N64 and I can't play OoT to see what all the fuss is 'bowt.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TheDoctor455 said:

Though... one problem... in your review, you point out that the "bulging shoulder pads" are reminscient of World of Warcraft... problem is, that sort of thing dates bake to the Warhammer and Warhammer 40K tabletop-figurine strategy games (just look at the space marine designs)... I know that this is a minor quibble, but I do think accuracy is important.
No, I said that most gamers would probably find them reminiscent of WoW, considering it's the poster child for that art style these days and ... amongst laymen, probably MUCH more recognizable than Warhammer/40k.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Yet another person fails their patience check, and now we have to get them out of a sticky mess because of it. Sounds like fun. :D

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
John Funk said:
TheDoctor455 said:

No, I said that most gamers would probably find them reminiscent of WoW, considering it's the poster child for that art style these days and ... amongst laymen, probably MUCH more recognizable than Warhammer/40k.
Fair enough.

gutterball17

Jul 14, 2009
The monsters are the same throughout. However, there are, of course, dungeon specific enemies. Also, I didn't think the puzzles were overly the same.
I have to wonder about what John says about the instant kills getting boring because they are the same for that same type of enemy. God of War did the same thing and I don't hear anybody complaining about that. But anyway, I found this game to be pretty fun, if it does have some similarities to Zelda, but what game doesn't? LoZ practically invented most RPG elements still in use today.

gutterball17

Jul 14, 2009
that's what i thought when I first saw War. I said "Hey, he looks like a badass Death Knight." Ripped Armor, big two-handed sword with screaming faces, and you can put "Enhancements" that make his sword glow different colors. Lots of similarities there.