Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Man that looks awesome! Throw in the Gerudo Valley music and I'll marry it :D

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Xiado said:
I guess that stake thing is the closest we'll ever get to Yahtzee's "Penis extension gun that pins baddies to walls with entire trees"
Or that fabled gun that shoots shurikens and lightning and has tits that's on fire.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I'm sorry, but when you say the Zelda similarities aren't a bad thing, I highly disagree. I love the Zelda games, but Darksiders rips things off CONSTANTLY! "Boomerang", "hookshot", summonable horse, doors with keys, block puzzles, "heart containers", "fairy" guide, dungeon maps in chests, secondary gear assigned to slots, and even fucking BOMB FLOWERS! It isn't "homage", it's blatant theft!

Also, I really don't like the aesthetic. The general look works for WoW, but this... I just don't care for it. Apocalypses should not look/feel pseudo-cartoony.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
John Funk said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Considering that the artists at Blizzard basically copied Joe Mad! (The artist of Darksiders) for WoW's Aesthetic, I find it kind of infuriating that people are calling his work derivative of WoW. However, WoW's massive popularization of his style does mean that it doesn't look that special anymore and he should work on changing things up a little.
Well yeah, I'm not saying he copied WoW, just that for many modern gamers it's going to be probably the thing that comes to mind.

They had 6 years to notice the similarities, it's not like it was a small indy game...

That said, once I got past the fact that the missions weren't just "kill everything", I enjoyed Darksiders. It's worth the rent :)

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
PxDn Ninja said:
I'll definitely give it a shot once I finish my current slew of titles (ME2, Bayanetta, Saboteur, OF:Dragon Rising). The gameplay looked fun as hell when he played it, and perhaps then I'll see the Zelda qualities. What is the total play time roughly for the title? Is it a 10 hour game or 40 hour game, so to speak?
He says in the review, its something like 15+ hours game, varying on your exploration skills.

This game does look good, i was on the fence about this game. Seeing this review may have pushed me over, when i finsh the new games i bought (Mass Effect 1, Elder Scrools 4: Oblivion, Bioshock, Dragon Age: Origins) Yeah, it may be a while before i play this but mark my words, i will.

Always_Remain

Nov 23, 2009
DO WANT. DO WANT A LOT. But as Daystar said Mass Effect 2 is much more important lol maybe after....

Daystar Clarion said:
Am I only one who, when this game was first announced, thought it was a game about being a Sith?
Guilty :D

Loop Stricken said:
What is it with all you Mass Effect 2 piners not getting this game? I bought it precisely to keep my mind AWAY from the multiple weeks of waiting for ME2.
Some of us don't have odles of money in our odles of money bags. Well that's why I'm not gonna get it yet.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Treblaine said:
If Darksiders is ever released on PC (and the rumour mill says it will) then the FIRST thing I will be looking for will be how to import Legend of Zelda music and sound effect.

Oh it would be such win!
Any websites to quote on this rumour? Cause it better... This game kinda catapulted to almost the top of "must have" games. I've actually always lamented the fact that you can't hamstring enemies as the wolf in Twilight Princess. Come on Nintendo. Golden opportunity there!
TheNamlessGuy said:
Now I will get this.

WHEN IS IT OUT IN EUROPE?!
From what I've seen, it's out everywhere except Japan.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
It isn't until an hour or so in, when you reach the game's first true dungeon, when you realize that Darksiders isn't God of War or Dante's Inferno or Bayonetta after all: It's The Legend of Zelda.
Which damn sucks, because I wanted a Hack N Slash game... I freaking hate running around a supposed enemy complex figuring out where the gears to X machine go... with an hour or more between combat, depending on how frustrated I get with the puzzles.

I'm only keeping at playing it because I dropped a $109 on it... it came out the same day as Bayonetta and I had both games in my hands trying to make up my mind on my lunch break, I decided to grab Darksiders for the story and for how cool the idea of playing one of the 4HM would be...

Big freaking mistake. I don't mind puzzle games, but I wasn't in the mind set for a puzzle game when I sat down, I was in the mode for something where I continually kill crap. You're playing WAR. THE RED RIDER. I don't care if he's been castrated he shouldn't be running around like some Elf in green tights fixing machines so he can get to X McGuffin... he should be punching down walls and ripping off freaking heads.

Here's an idea of how annoyed I am with the game, it's been fairly hot here the last couple of days, mid 40s, so when my xbox crashed just after I left Edan did I howl in frustration like I should of? no. I thought "oh thank god, now I can play something else for a while", turned my machine back on and started up Tower Defence, which is basically a logic puzzle... but at least it's an interesting puzzle.

When the custom is relived that his game crashed because it means he can stop playing, you've done something wrong. They really shouldn't of advertised this the way they did, I was expecting an action game and instead I got a puzzler with some fights to break up the puzzles.

Someone warn me if Bayonetta is the same... I don't mind some puzzles in my action, but Darksiders really a puzzler with some damn action every hour or so.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
hahahahaha, zelda-theme at the end with war riding his horse and shooting with a gun, I laughed hard :D

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Nice review. I'm definitely going to pick this one up..after Mass Effect 2, of course.

Oh, and you have the most shitty imitation of that Zelda-puzzle-sound I have ever heard.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Kimarous said:
Also, I really don't like the aesthetic. The general look works for WoW, but this... I just don't care for it. Apocalypses should not look/feel pseudo-cartoony.
Certainly everyone is entitles to personal preference, but what pray tell are you basing the aesthetics of the apocalypse on, seeing as if one will happen it hasn't happened yet at least. The apocalypse could be ushered in by adorable cartoon kittens and bunnies for all we know.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
I love how I have to go to a different website just to look up what platform the game is for, since apparently this isn't information worth mentioning on the Escapist.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Ha Ha my warlock has the same mount as this guy.

Gonna pick this up as soon as I can.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
brunothepig said:
Treblaine said:
If Darksiders is ever released on PC (and the rumour mill says it will) then the FIRST thing I will be looking for will be how to import Legend of Zelda music and sound effect.

Oh it would be such win!
Any websites to quote on this rumour? Cause it better... This game kinda catapulted to almost the top of "must have" games. I've actually always lamented the fact that you can't hamstring enemies as the wolf in Twilight Princess. Come on Nintendo. Golden opportunity there!]
Well THQ have a habit of doing that, they released Red Faction Guerilla on PS3 and 360 with no confirmation of a PC release then with little warning 3 months later they released the game on PC. Same happened with Red Faction 1 + 2 + 3, Saint's Row 2 and Juiced 2. Here is where I heard it:

http://news.bigdownload.com/photos/2010-console-games-that-should-be-pc-games/2572509/

Hope it comes true, but otherwise the PS3 version seems to be the best as I've heard a lot of bad things about screen tear on the 360 version yet no seen on the PS3 version as much. A multi-platform game playing better on PS3?!?? Crazy I know but it's happening more and more often now as games push the envelope further (where the PS3 has the power) and developers becoem more familiar the with PS3's unique hardware.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Sorry to burst your bubble there, but the exploding, flaming spear gun has already been done. Back in 2003, a game was released on all platforms called Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. The closest thing that it had to a sniper rifle was the rivet gun, the second coolest gun in the game (#1 goes to the Ripper, which shoots saw blades). When fully upgraded, it will shoot 3 foot long burning metal arrows that go all the way through an enemy and then blow up.