Review: Darksiders

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Considering that the artists at Blizzard basically copied Joe Mad! (The artist of Darksiders) for WoW's Aesthetic, I find it kind of infuriating that people are calling his work derivative of WoW. However, WoW's massive popularization of his style does mean that it doesn't look that special anymore and he should work on changing things up a little.
Hear hear! I played the first hour of this game last night and had to go pull out some of my mid-90's X-men comics afterwards for bed-time reading material! (Gambit vs Brain-damaged Sabretooth in the danger room for the win!)

Enjoying Darksiders so far though, although I can't help but think I might have been better off buying Bayonetta. That may just be because I've been replaying a lot of DMC4 lately though.... A year on and I *still* can't get Smokin' Sick Style in all the fights :(

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This game is bloody awesome, I knew I'd love it because this is the same artist who drew the great Battle Chasers comic book Joe Madureira!

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Slycne said:
300lb. Samoan said:
and the music at the end fits perfectly! makes me want it even more!
Lord Thodin said:
The zelda music while war is riding on "epona" at the end made me shit my pants laughing
Glad you both liked that, I thought it would be a nice way to tie everything said together.
well kudos man. I have friends im still showing the video to that laugh at it.

EmmerikXXII

Nov 11, 2009
I am not one for fanaticism, but I must say that this game is incredible. I am sure this is partially due to my love for the Legend of Zelda. Some criticize the frequent nods to the Zelda series, but I applaud them. They add a level of nostalgia than really draws you in, at least if you are a fan. If not, I am sure you can enjoy them for what they are. I mean sure, they add in Zelda elements right down to the highlighting of important words in the subtitles. Boss battles play out just like previous 3D installments of Zelda. The point I am making is that I do not see this as a bad thing at all. It feels a lot like Zelda, but Zelda feels good. :D

I guess what I am saying is that this game does everything right, in my perspective. Not everyone has my perspective. I love stories about the end of the world, especially those regarding the book of revelations. I love Zelda. I'm a fan of badasses kicking the living shit out of things with giant swords. Intense combat, but not so that you need to spend months perfecting it. The art style also appeals to my interests. Lots of blacks reds and oranges, not to mention a comic-booky feel. It all comes together for me to create one epic package.

Darksiders has quickly become one of my favorite games.

It might not be for you, but if you share my tastes, then I highly recommend Darksiders.

There's my little mini-review.

fisk0

Aug 19, 2009
this game looks awesome, I'll have to buy it once the PC version gets a reasonable price next year or so.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Theres nothing wrong with following the zelda style, better than simply being called a clone.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
better question, anybody know wtf this code is for (not 'the hollow lord' the OTHER one)
kinda driving me up a wall, but other then that, game rules, on my second run, do think its funny how many ppl are 'o.0?!' about how the gameplay is. and the bits from zelda are well done, looking forward to the sequel

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
Okay, I laughed REALLY hard at the music at the end.

I'll agree that Darksiders pulls from a lot of different places - but it pulls awesome bits from awesome games with a ton of polish, so I can't really complain about it.

Phantom_Natal

Sep 2, 2009
I somehow never got bored of your zelda comments.
Honestly, it looked very much zelda to me, especially when showing the hook shot.
For now, I'm not into bloody damage or heaven and hell dramas so I'll let it pass.