Review: Metro 2033

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
I don't think this was quite the spiritual successor to STALKER that I was hoping it would be, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

If this review has any relation to my opinion of it, then this shall be a solid rental.
this is nowhere near to stalker my fried i have played all 3 stalker games and this cant even be compared realy
If you ask me, there's a huge relation to the atmosphere and tone of the two games, granted, I've never actually played Metro: 2033, so my opinion on the subject is that of a mere onlooker.
well hey unless you play dont say so becouse it dosent look like stalker for shit so until you play dont compare it to stalker and atmosfer is much heavyer in metro and its more post apocalyptic
Well, hey, your opinion is your own.

Regardless, I stick to my guns. From what I've seen, Metro: 2033 looks like it draws some influence from STALKER. Shit, Prokhorov [http://www.nowgamer.com/previews/pc-mmo/809/metro-2033] (Paragraph 4) even admits that Metro has drawn some influence from SoC.

Does that mean I think Metro: 2033 is not it's own game?
Of course not, but with development staff from STALKER also working on Metro, I would say my comparisons of the two, if at nothing more than an atmospheric level, are far from being unjust.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
TheBritish said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Yeah I loved the game. To me it was a bland grey FPS shooter done right. I mean I wish there was more physiological aspects of the game, I really felt like the game was trying to convey it more then it actually did. As for enemies or the stealth I really didn't have a problem. The game allows you to sneak past all the enemies, often though you have to wait and observe. The game is also very specific about were you have to hit people to get them to die with one shot.

Good review, I just don't agree with it.

Though the fucking amoebas at the end of the game warrants it the loss of a star or two.
One of my favourite things about this game is that you have to try to aim for gaps in the armour, even places under people's arms. It's great :)

Yeah first I thought the game was just being glitchy or something then I realized oh yeah...this is a realistic game. or as realistic as a bland first person shooter set in fallout Russia can get.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
[
TheBritish said:
Brian Hendershot said:
Yeah I loved the game. To me it was a bland grey FPS shooter done right. I mean I wish there was more physiological aspects of the game, I really felt like the game was trying to convey it more then it actually did. As for enemies or the stealth I really didn't have a problem. The game allows you to sneak past all the enemies, often though you have to wait and observe. The game is also very specific about were you have to hit people to get them to die with one shot.

Good review, I just don't agree with it.

Though the fucking amoebas at the end of the game warrants it the loss of a star or two.
One of my favourite things about this game is that you have to try to aim for gaps in the armour, even places under people's arms. It's great :)

Yeah first I thought the game was just being glitchy or something then I realized oh yeah...this is a realistic game. or as realistic as a bland first person shooter set in fallout Russia can get.

TheBritish

The really, quite jolly rascal
Nov 12, 2009
dev0nian said:
*Hate to snip your first post* :)
If you want to know about the motives of the Dark Ones in the book... (considering I've STILL not finished the game :))
In the book, you are obviously trying to save your station from this assualt of mutants, but at the end you find out that they were actually trying to -help- you. They're immune to things like the radiation above and they were the ones helping you all along, giving you the visions and giving other people the -idea- to help you :) It was a great twist... especially seeing as in the book, Artyom realises this right before The Dark Ones are destroyed by missiles, meaning he basicly destroys mankind's one chance to return to the surface :)
And to you...
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
I don't think this was quite the spiritual successor to STALKER that I was hoping it would be, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

If this review has any relation to my opinion of it, then this shall be a solid rental.
this is nowhere near to stalker my fried i have played all 3 stalker games and this cant even be compared realy
If you ask me, there's a huge relation to the atmosphere and tone of the two games, granted, I've never actually played Metro: 2033, so my opinion on the subject is that of a mere onlooker.
well hey unless you play dont say so becouse it dosent look like stalker for shit so until you play dont compare it to stalker and atmosfer is much heavyer in metro and its more post apocalyptic
"4A Games is an offshoot of GSC Game Word who made STALKER.
Both games are set in Russia featuring Russian locations, post-apocalyptic landscapes and appearances and themes.
Both games place you in the role of someone often relying on their teammates for support.
Both games have what I usually describe as the "Russian Game Factor", which means that you're put in the role of someone who has bad, inaccurate weapons, can't take many shots before they die and doesn't really know what's going on.
Both involve people called Stalkers? Now I'm getting desparate :)

But it's a little weird to say they're "incomparable". Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the Hedgehog are "comparable"."

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

Well, hey, your opinion is your own.

Regardless, I stick to my guns. From what I've seen, Metro: 2033 looks like it draws some influence from STALKER. Shit, Prokhorov [http://www.nowgamer.com/previews/pc-mmo/809/metro-2033] (Paragraph 4) even admits that Metro has drawn some influence from SoC.

Does that mean I think Metro: 2033 is not it's own game?
Of course not, but with development staff from STALKER also working on Metro, I would say my comparisons of the two, if at nothing more than an atmospheric level, are far from being unjust.
offcourse he admit that metro was created by people who jumped off after the first stalker but you cant compare them side by side

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
TheBritish said:
dev0nian said:
If you want to know about the motives of the Dark Ones in the book... (considering I've STILL not finished the game :))
In the book, you are obviously trying to save your station from this assualt of mutants, but at the end you find out that they were actually trying to -help- you. They're immune to things like the radiation above and they were the ones helping you all along, giving you the visions and giving other people the -idea- to help you :) It was a great twist... especially seeing as in the book, Artyom realises this right before The Dark Ones are destroyed by missiles, meaning he basicly destroys mankind's one chance to return to the surface :)
And to you...
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:
lolcatize said:
Hazy said:

"4A Games is an offshoot of GSC Game Word who made STALKER.
Both games are set in Russia featuring Russian locations, post-apocalyptic landscapes and appearances and themes.
Both games place you in the role of someone often relying on their teammates for support.
Both games have what I usually describe as the "Russian Game Factor", which means that you're put in the role of someone who has bad, inaccurate weapons, can't take many shots before they die and doesn't really know what's going on.
Both involve people called Stalkers? Now I'm getting desparate :)

But it's a little weird to say they're "incomparable". Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the Hedgehog are "comparable"."
so you compare by those factor but try to its ok alright still its a lot diffrente and now compare story and offcourse they dont take many shots ffs the game is realistic one of the most realistic games i played more realistic than Mw2 wich everyne calls realistic will ever be becouse those idiots couldnt make a fucking claymore mine right

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
lolcatize said:
so you compare by those factor but try to its ok alright still its a lot diffrente and now compare story and offcourse they dont take many shots ffs the game is realistic one of the most realistic games i played more realistic than Mw2 wich everyne calls realistic will ever be becouse those idiots couldnt make a fucking claymore mine right
I don't... really know what you're trying to say here :). I was just pointing out that Russian games tend to be more realistic in terms of things like damage and... it seems like you agree with me but are angry at me anyway :)
Oh and... I have played all the STALKER games and Metro-2033, and I don't think I could make a claymore mine either :) Not really sure who could :)

dev0nian

Apr 14, 2010
TheBritish said:
dev0nian said:
Thanks for that explanation! I feel the game could've done a better job of conveying that part of the story.
That ending is really tragic, though! :( Fighting against all odds only to inadvertently ruin humanity's future.

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
dev0nian said:
TheBritish said:
dev0nian said:
Thanks for that explanation! I feel the game could've done a better job of conveying that part of the story.
That ending is really tragic, though! :( Fighting against all odds only to inadvertently ruin humanity's future.
I don't think the game really introduces the threat all that well either :). The book has a great opening where you hear a load of different stories from different people and have no idea what's true and what's just rumour. It's kinda scary :).

Also...
It's pretty tragic, yeah but a great twist :). In the book Artyom is sent to the Library to look for a book made of black skin that tells humanity how to return to the surface... At the end you're kicking yourself that you didn't realise that there was already something in the story with black skin :). In the book Artyom just takes off his gas mask and goes for a walk on the surface when he finds out :) (Oh and this is also why Artyom survives things like the voices in the pipes and things. He's the Chosen One. I've now truly spoilt the book for you :) Sorry! :)

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
TheBritish said:
lolcatize said:
I don't... really know what you're trying to say here :). I was just pointing out that Russian games tend to be more realistic in terms of things like damage and... it seems like you agree with me but are angry at me anyway :)
Oh and... I have played all the STALKER games and Metro-2033, and I don't think I could make a claymore mine either :) Not really sure who could :)
no no no im not angrybut yeah so far russian develpers have made more realistic games interms of weapon and damage but about the claymore i meant that bullshit that a real claymore cant be put in front of an enemy becouse its a tripwire setoff but those who made Mw2 made a couple lasors to set it off and call it realistic xD

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
SirDerick said:
If one more person says the librarians take too many bullets to kill, ima smack them.

edit: Maybe I should have specified that if you stare at the faces of the lybrarian without shooting, they don't attack you.
your kidding? i shot everyone i came across
Brian Hendershot said:
took me ages to realise you could blow up the things they spawn from

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
This game actually looks pretty awesome, albeit with a bunch of poor design choices. Oh well.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Crunchy English said:
mchoueiri said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I don't think that it is a horrid review simply because he does not agree with you. most reviewers have been saying the same thing.
Wrong. Most reviewers gave the game a solid 8. Gamerankings or Metacritic, only takes a second.
ok my bad. but still just because someone says differently does not mean that it is a bad review. Like a reviewer may not like the game but he may bring up good points.

aegios187

Jun 17, 2007
Personally, the one thing that stood out for me is that the moral choices weren't huge swings of the pendulum making you either ultimate super morality man or the spawn of the anti-christ and Uwe Boll. Simple things like accepting a reward vs not accepting a reward, offering assistance to certain NPCs that you can have dialog with. Even the "bad" ending as it were, wasn't end of the world, trumped up evil endings that most games have. If anything, its the ending you expect to get if you don't quite make the effort to put all the pieces together.

The environment and story was solid (makes me want to read the book), graphics were gorgeous, the gunplay didn't really distract me, if anything, I think it fits the fact that your using antiquated, amateurish made weaponry with homemade dirty rounds. Stealth elements were passable. I'd say a score of a 8 to a 8.5 is being fair.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
is the escapist have an office in The UK now? it the first time i heard some one outside the states do a review on this site. (besides zero punctuation)
i noticed that too, im grateful to actually hear another UK voice aside from ZPs. no offence to all the americans, canadians and australians, but they are all i hear
We're an American company. It's really so surprising to hear American accents from the staff?
I thought u guys had multicultural staff

TheBritish

Nov 12, 2009
mchoueiri said:
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
is the escapist have an office in The UK now? it the first time i heard some one outside the states do a review on this site. (besides zero punctuation)
i noticed that too, im grateful to actually hear another UK voice aside from ZPs. no offence to all the americans, canadians and australians, but they are all i hear
We're an American company. It's really so surprising to hear American accents from the staff?
You thought the Escapist was run by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs? :)

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
TheBritish said:
mchoueiri said:
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
zombie711 said:
You thought the Escapist was run by a multicultural team of various faiths and beliefs? :)
\

hahahahahahahaha, that was a good one that had me laughing for a good 2 minutes and yes.

Arduras

Jul 14, 2009
I strongly disagree with this review,

The game, from moment one, is meant to make you feel like an ordinary guy in some very weird circumstances, which, I'd say it pulled off well, I was drawn into the creepiness of the scene and of the feeling of being the weaker in a fight between mutants and other people.

Ammo was never an issue (as some others have mentioned), dirty ammo is fine as ammo, I thing it was only at the start that I needed to use Mil grade ammo (because I still hadn't gotten my head reset away from the ol' combat tactics in other shooters), other weapons (such as the helsing, the oversized BB gun ((can't think of the name))and others) all had the right feel to them, hand made and they had alot of power in them.

Stealth was pretty good, instead of the usual 'huh? why did something just impact next to me? ahh well' they responded, shouting out, making a noise and the like, which lets everyone else know whats going on, of course you'd yell out if you noticed something. (although, the fact they zero in from moment one is annoying)

Overall, its a good game, not a great one, but certainly better then say, Modern Warfare 2, but its well on its way to pushing towards games that are more like Stalker then not. :)