Review: Metroid Other M

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Steve Butts said:
[insert review here]
Did you guys forget to run this one by an editor/proofreader or something? The video was the wrong aspect ratio, and the written article's full of typos and random missing words.

Too bad the game sounds like it's not worth my time. Super Metroid's still one of my favorite games after all these years. On the other hand, I suppose I don't really need a new Metroid game now anyway, because I never finished MP3 (hardly even started it, actually, before getting sidetracked by something else). Maybe I should go play that instead.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
*goes back to playing Prime Trilogy Collection*

If I didn't have this...I'd be very sad about Other M.

That said, I'll pick up Other M. Just for the story. Since it's the only Big N franchise that really has one worth delving into.
I'm not sure Other: M has a real story, Samus tries to say she's caring and stuff, yet she's ripping the wings off of beasts and flinging them around rather than ...you know trying to kill them painlessly. Then you know she only killed an entire species in 1 outing.

OT: The game is good but it's really not a Metroid game, certainly not on par with the series. It lacks the real detail of the other games in the series (I mean the 2D and 3D ones) and the controls are as interesting as they are infuriating. Want to use a missile? Well you have to aim at the screen and then you have to aim for a point that activates the missiles, the D-pad is as good as it's always been for 3D games and by that I mean not very good at all.

You don't find HP restoring items and missile ammo, you just ...hold the controller up and hold A, that's the dumbest thing they did in my mind. One thing I think would have helped the game is options for the other controllers the wii uses, why does Nintendo always keep options out of the players hands? Just let me customize a little bit it's not too much to ask EVERY game does it except the ones on your console, the one with THE MOST CONTROLLER OPTIONS.

The game feels more Ninja Gaiden than Metroid it's kinda disappointing but it's different which is interesting. Plus the other games didn't go anywhere so you can just play them for the real experience and this for something just a bit different. Is it a bad game? Not at all, but it's really not a Metroid game more like an experiment that needs some sussing out.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
When I saw the cut-scenes and the way they were narrated and delivered, it just made me lose interest in the elements of the Metroid story that I liked before.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Mangue Surfer said:
So, they make samus a paltry blowjob dispenser.
Sad. She was one of the most strong female character in the industry.
This, by the sound of it I've heard darn near everywhere. It's seriously a massive turn off that they took one of the only strong female leads in video game history and jawjacked her character this way. I'll be sticking to older Metroid titles as a result, thanks.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i'm currently going through the Prime Trilogy again and will probably pick up Other M when it's a bit cheaper. only game i'm going to get straight away is Skyward Sword.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I haft to say i am pleased with review.
It is much better than the OMG SAMUS ISNT A GURL HUNTER ANYMORE CHARACTER RUINED.

I haven't played it, but from talking to people who have and watching as much as i can of it, i know i will like it.

I knew it wouldn't be as good as the others but its still one of the better games on the wii.
And my problem with the story is that the game takes place so late in the series.
If it took place right after 2 then it would fit better, because i WANTED to see Samus come to terms with her past and her tragic childhood.

And if you want even more info on it then Read the Metroid Manga.
It IS Cannon.

And as for Adam....i think having her powers restricted by a man she looks to like a father is more believable than finding power up rooms that fit her Power Suit perfectly in the Space Pirates OWN bases.
He was her former CO, the Mission is His, her powers ARE dangerous, and Samus respects the hell out of him.
So i can understand her following his orders.
And this isn't the first time she has followed orders.

And after seeing the scenes people were screaming Ruined Samus...no.
They arnt that bad.
Samus still kicks HUGE amounts of ass thought the entire game.
One ehh game does not a character break.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Rocket Dog said:
All I needed to see was the cutscene were Samus meets Riley.

And with that I know I never need to play it.
20 seconds of being scared followed by SHOVING THE POWER CANNON DOWN HIS THROAT AND ALMOST KILLING HIM made you not want the game?
Sure this fare in the series she should be over her fear. But this game was made to give insight into her past.
Im sure if you had seen Ridly eat your parents and destroy your home you would be scared too.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
StriderShinryu said:
Now maybe all the people who gave Abbie Heppie from G4 shit for commenting on the terrible and broken characterization of Samus in her Other M review "just because she's a girl" will remove their lips from Nintendo's rear end... or probably not. *sigh*
Who are these people that were accusing that, and where do they live? I would like to promptly hit them over the head with a copy of Other M
>=(

EDIT: Just watched that review... and the only thing I have to say...

"Hold A to replenish missiles."

FUCK. THAT. SHIT. This game keeps sounding worse and worse the more I hear of it.
Pfahahaha.
So her suit refilling her Ammo by just a few Missiles is stupider than Space Pirates having Power Suit Shaped Missile and Health Stations IN THEIR OWN BASES!?
And it only restores Health when your about to DIE.
Kind of like a Backup tank.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Mangue Surfer said:
So, they make samus a paltry blowjob dispenser.
Sad. She was one of the most strong female character in the industry.
No.
They make her Submissive to a man she Greatly Admires and Views as a Father.
Not that far fetched.

Plus she still does most of the Butt Kicking.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
ZeroMachine said:
StriderShinryu said:
Now maybe all the people who gave Abbie Heppie from G4 shit for commenting on the terrible and broken characterization of Samus in her Other M review "just because she's a girl" will remove their lips from Nintendo's rear end... or probably not. *sigh*
Who are these people that were accusing that, and where do they live? I would like to promptly hit them over the head with a copy of Other M
>=(

EDIT: Just watched that review... and the only thing I have to say...

"Hold A to replenish missiles."

FUCK. THAT. SHIT. This game keeps sounding worse and worse the more I hear of it.
Pfahahaha.
So her suit refilling her Ammo by just a few Missiles is stupider than Space Pirates having Power Suit Shaped Missile and Health Stations IN THEIR OWN BASES!?
And it only restores Health when your about to DIE.
Kind of like a Backup tank.
I'm talking from a gameplay section, so yes, yes it does. I loved the parts in Metroid where I had to up the ante big time in order to survive. That takes that intensity out of it.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
*Yawn* another reveiw that bashes the award 1sty-person aiming mechanic and the bad characterization of Samus (She goes from being mute Badass to monotone melodramatic orphan who relies on her ex-boyfreind to figure out what to do next), well yeah some feature work but the game as a whole sound nowhere near as good as I had hoped, I'll be replaying Super Metroid in the mean time!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
(Sorry for double posting, for some reason my previous post hasn't shown up yet o_O)

Actually, believe it or not, Samus's stoic and nearly unspeaking personality doesn't make her a blank slate. It's part of her character. Think about it:
This is what makes her an effective silent protagonist, and why others fail to approach any sort of depth (especially the much lauded Gordon Freeman, who offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HIS OWN STORY).

Giving her a voice has proven to be a mistake, as executed.

Oh, and her Commanding Officer (Adam) is a total fucking idiot in Other M.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
ZeroMachine said:
(Sorry for double posting, for some reason my previous post hasn't shown up yet o_O)

Actually, believe it or not, Samus's stoic and nearly unspeaking personality doesn't make her a blank slate. It's part of her character. Think about it:
This is what makes her an effective silent protagonist, and why others fail to approach any sort of depth (especially the much lauded Gordon Freeman, who offers ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HIS OWN STORY).

Giving her a voice has proven to be a mistake, as executed.

Oh, and her Commanding Officer (Adam) is a total fucking idiot in Other M.
The "giving her a voice" thing? I disagree. In case you forgot, her first line in a video game was in none other than Super Metroid, the most highly praised Metroid game.

Making her an emo girl is what the problem is.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
The "giving her a voice" thing? I disagree. In case you forgot, her first line in a video game was in none other than Super Metroid, the most highly praised Metroid game.

Wait, that robo-voice was supposed to be her??

Oh, and I should have made it more clear; I don't like HOW Nintendo has presented Samus as a vocal character. Not necessarily that giving her a voice would have killed her character.
(She has voice quotes for her taunts in Smash Bros Brawl too).

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
ZeroMachine said:

Wait, that robo-voice was supposed to be her??

Oh, and I should have made it more clear; I don't like HOW Nintendo has presented Samus as a vocal character. Not necessarily that giving her a voice would have killed her character.
(She has voice quotes for her taunts in Smash Bros Brawl too).
... Um............ start a new game of Super Metroid. The prologue is spoken by her. Not necassarily with recorded lines, but when you're reading that, you're reading her own words. That means, for all intents and purposes, she is not a silent protagonist.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
... Um............ start a new game of Super Metroid. The prologue is spoken by her. Not necassarily with recorded lines, but when you're reading that, you're reading her own words. That means, for all intents and purposes, she is not a silent protagonist.
Eh, that's stretching it a bit. Text-only dialogue still has an element interpretation to it.
Two people might read the same book, but they will interpret a character's personality differently.

When you give a character a real physical voice, you are giving them the only possible "real" interpretation of that character's personality.

I had this discussion with my friend only yesterday. He said a lot of people perceived Samus as a cold-hearted, soft-speaking badass, and I disagreed, because I imagined there was a bit of panic and determination in her text dialogue in prior games (most notably Fusion).

Either way, I dislike how Other M presents Samus. I'm unsure whether this decision came from Nintendo (there are traces of this same inept voice acting and cutscene technique in Prime 3: Corruption) or Team Ninja.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I personally am not too keen on Other M. It just doesn't feel like a Metroid game to me, and that is the clincher. I disagree that the exploration and the game play outweigh it's flaws. I do think there are virtues with Other M, though I can't say for sure what that might be.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
dududf said:
I'm just checking here, was Steve kidding when he said you can use your powers when your boyfriend says it's alright?

Because if he wasn't kidding... I..I...Yeah.
No he was not kidding.

The example he gave is the most outragious one, were you spend a long time in lava filled caves takeing heat damage before your old commanding officer says

"hey samus why not trying out that heat-proof vera suit you've had with you this whole time"

same idea for all your other abilities

Also samus's voice in other M is enough to drive you mad, she will just not shut up...

For example, if you drank a beer every time she said "Baby" (refering to the baby metroid) in the opening cutsceen you would be dead before you got to any game play

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Welp, guess it's time to play more Metroid Prime or Zero Mission, enjoy a GOOD Metroid game.

Fact is, an average Metroid game is, compared to the other games in the series, an absolute disappointment given the track record of the franchise, ESPECIALLY given the overall lack of stagnation in the Metroid titles until very recently.

Metroid really is (was?) the last great Nintendo franchise.