Review: Metroid Other M

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Gigaguy64 said:
ZeroMachine said:
StriderShinryu said:
Now maybe all the people who gave Abbie Heppie from G4 shit for commenting on the terrible and broken characterization of Samus in her Other M review "just because she's a girl" will remove their lips from Nintendo's rear end... or probably not. *sigh*
Who are these people that were accusing that, and where do they live? I would like to promptly hit them over the head with a copy of Other M
>=(

EDIT: Just watched that review... and the only thing I have to say...

"Hold A to replenish missiles."

FUCK. THAT. SHIT. This game keeps sounding worse and worse the more I hear of it.
Pfahahaha.
So her suit refilling her Ammo by just a few Missiles is stupider than Space Pirates having Power Suit Shaped Missile and Health Stations IN THEIR OWN BASES!?
And it only restores Health when your about to DIE.
Kind of like a Backup tank.
I'm talking from a gameplay section, so yes, yes it does. I loved the parts in Metroid where I had to up the ante big time in order to survive. That takes that intensity out of it.
Well from what i keep being told, you still do haft to struggle a lot of the time.
Especially during bosses where you will find NO time to charge.
even if you have the charge Time upgraded.
And when your fighting a boss that does 75% DMG to your life and the Restore only heals one tank.
Your likely to put off recharging until the fight is over.

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
i'm just going to block this one from memory and indulge my other favorite series (halo and others), and just hope that metroid dread:

get's made eventually,
isn't a prequel,
is a sequel to metroid fusion,
has samus portrayed as a silent protagonist (aside from inner monologues),
is made Nintendo itself,
does not acknowledge metroid: other m in any way shape or form,
is a sidescroller,
and is for a handheld system but does not force you to utilize gimmicks.

that is my hope. and i doubt that most, if any, of those will hopes come to pass.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
We went from the Prime trilogy to.... hunters and pinball to....this? Nintendo's utterly failed to bring me on board for the Wii for years now, and this doesn't magically change things, but the promise of a Metroid game was about as close as they were going to get TBH.

I'd be embarrassed for Nintendo because simply looking at what Prime did was a who's-who of great games on the gamecube, while this is....

Well, it feels like they skinned the Metroid series, turned it into beef jerky and tried to pass it off as fine steak.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
acosn said:
We went from the Prime trilogy to.... hunters and pinball to....this? Nintendo's utterly failed to bring me on board for the Wii for years now, and this doesn't magically change things, but the promise of a Metroid game was about as close as they were going to get TBH.

I'd be embarrassed for Nintendo because simply looking at what Prime did was a who's-who of great games on the gamecube, while this is....

Well, it feels like they skinned the Metroid series, turned it into beef jerky and tried to pass it off as fine steak.
Ummmmm.
im not sure if you know this but.

The Prime games came out in this order.
Prime 1, them Pinball, Echoes, Hunters, Corruption.

And Other M is doing something new with the series, the same thing Prime did.
Do you realize how many people HATED Prime as soon as it was announced?
A lot.
and you know there are still people who hate the prime series just because Nintendo made them and not Super Metroid 2.0

So im not saying that Other M is perfect but i am glad Nintendo tried something new, rather than make another Prime or Super Metroid.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
I'm a Huuuuuuuge Metroid fan and my copy arrives tomorrow, but after all these reviews I'm a bit sceptic. For a start i don't like the new movement animation, it's way to frantic/fast, it looks very very unnatural. Second, I always enjoyed the more open world gameplay with all its alien ambience. From what I've seen, it lost all that. On the other hand, i liked the 3rd person-over-the-shoulder camera, I wonder if this wouldn't have been a better camera choice. Well, I will see how it all works out when I play it with my own two hands.

And a last thing, I think they should use that camera in their next Ninja Gaiden game, might really work.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Pedro The Hutt said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
*goes back to playing Prime Trilogy Collection*

If I didn't have this...I'd be very sad about Other M.

That said, I'll pick up Other M. Just for the story. Since it's the only Big N franchise that really has one worth delving into.
And yet that is apparently where this game goes tragically wrong, according to many reviewers. Samus Aran is constantly out of character in this game. And that's a real shame.
Maybe this is why nintendo character's essentially have no personality. Because when people see them with one they don't like it.

dthvirus

Oct 2, 2008
I heard 'sound and fury' as well as 'signifying' in the same sentence and immediately thought of Macbeth. No idea if that was intentional or not, but nice job there.

This game still sounds good despite the issues mentioned. I might pick it up.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Honestly, when I heard that one of the most praised female characters in gaming was allowed anywhere near Team ninja I lost faith in this one.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
To all those trying to defend the game, saying "at least it tried something new", stop it. OK? The game is mediocre. Prime tried something new as well, people were skeptical but when they played, it mesmerised them. This didn't happen here. The game is like Fusion (hand holding, space station mimicking a planet, shit story) but where Fusion had 6 sectors, this has 3. Where that had an overwhelming nemesis hounding your every step, this has generic Space Marines. Where Fusion was quite punishing, this is a walk in the park. And Fusion wasn't even all that good. No matter how you look at it the truth is this: Too much bloat, too little game.

I also saw a comment about Team Ninja being at fult Samus is depicted the way she is. Again, no. It's all Mr. "my wonderful vision" Sakamoto's fault. In the credits he is the one credited as story writer director etcetc. He is also the one who oversaw and approved of the cutscenes realising his beautiful dream. I read he cried from joy at how perfect they were. So no, Team Ninja actually did something good, because if the game didn't have the over-the-top killing animations and dodges it would be even blander than it already is. It did make the game too easy though.

Also, about Adam. Guys, she may insist that she's like a father figure but the way she talks about him is like she has the Oedipus complex. No matter how much she respects him, she's a seasoned veteran, she wouldn't (for instance) need his permission to activate Varia after being burnt to a crisp. It wasn't dangerous for anyone and it was nonsensical not to. And her being scared of Ridley? After killing him...3? 4 times already? Seriously? And what's with all the "baby" talk? The little Metroid was referred to as the "larva" in Super Metroid and an "infant" in Fusion. Now she talks about it like she was it's mother? WTF?

And however much you like to mask it the refill mechanic was weak. As are the arguments to the opposite. If you were so much into the lore as you claim, you'd know that
a)The Chozo statues inside Pirate bases were there and they didn't suspect what they were so they let them be, Chozo tech is adaptive and modular, it'a only natural they'd have left gear for their chosen warriors
b)Samus's gun, when it destroys enemies, it alters their structure to create the energy needed to replenish the necessary shortages.
So no,both the Adam restriction and the concentration was unnecesary and it made the game even crappier than it already was.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
MasterV said:
To all those trying to defend the game, saying "at least it tried something new", stop it. OK? The game is mediocre. Prime tried something new as well, people were skeptical but when they played, it mesmerised them. This didn't happen here. The game is like Fusion (hand holding, space station mimicking a planet, shit story) but where Fusion had 6 sectors, this has 3. Where that had an overwhelming nemesis hounding your every step, this has generic Space Marines. Where Fusion was quite punishing, this is a walk in the park. And Fusion wasn't even all that good. No matter how you look at it the truth is this: Too much bloat, too little game.
Why shouldn't i defend it?
I completely and totally agree that its not that great of a Metroid Game.
But its still better than most are willing to acknowledge.
And i have not played the game.
All iv been able to do is talk with friends who have played it and watch videos of it, so my opinions come from that.

I also saw a comment about Team Ninja being at fult Samus is depicted the way she is. Again, no. It's all Mr. "my wonderful vision" Sakamoto's fault. In the credits he is the one credited as story writer director etcetc. He is also the one who oversaw and approved of the cutscenes realising his beautiful dream. I read he cried from joy at how perfect they were. So no, Team Ninja actually did something good, because if the game didn't have the over-the-top killing animations and dodges it would be even blander than it already is. It did make the game too easy though.
And that's a thing that gets me too.
Sakamoto is to blame for the Story and writing.
Not Team Ninja.
But about Sakamoto, im just glad that he got the "Characterization"(which i also think wasn't as good as it could/should have been) out of the way.
Also, about Adam. Guys, she may insist that she's like a father figure but the way she talks about him is like she has the Oedipus complex. No matter how much she respects him, she's a seasoned veteran, she wouldn't (for instance) need his permission to activate Varia after being burnt to a crisp. It wasn't dangerous for anyone and it was nonsensical not to. And her being scared of Ridley? After killing him...3? 4 times already? Seriously? And what's with all the "baby" talk? The little Metroid was referred to as the "larva" in Super Metroid and an "infant" in Fusion. Now she talks about it like she was it's mother? WTF?
I also agree here.
It is a week plot devise, but i still like the idea of activating her weapons and armor better than findint the Varia Suit AGAIN.
That's why i hate that the game takes place so far in the time line.
If it took place earlier then i would have liked the story better and made more of her actions a bit more believable.
But the baby thing is really really stupid and makes no sense in ANY context.

And however much you like to mask it the refill mechanic was weak. As are the arguments to the opposite. If you were so much into the lore as you claim, you'd know that
a)The Chozo statues inside Pirate bases were there and they didn't suspect what they were so they let them be, Chozo tech is adaptive and modular, it'a only natural they'd have left gear for their chosen warriors
b)Samus's gun, when it destroys enemies, it alters their structure to create the energy needed to replenish the necessary shortages.
So no,both the Adam restriction and the concentration was unnecesary and it made the game even crappier than it already was.
a)I(myself, cant speak for others) never mentioned the Chozo Statues because they do make sense, i talked about the Space Pirates having Health and Ammo Stations that were basically built to work with Samus's suit, in their own bases that weren't carved out of Chozo territory.
And why would Chozo Statues be in a Federation ship?
b)And i don't see how her Suit being modular has much to do with the Recharge.
If anything it would make sense that the suit has the ability to that, considering it can take almost anything and make it work.
Why cant it recharge itself like a backup system?

So yes, while they were both pretty stupid, i like them because at least its something different than the typical Loose your powers find them again, and Kill things to get energy.

Though i don't get why you think Fusion wasn't all that good.
It was still pretty hard, and you still had to explore a lot.
You get lost, bomb everything.
Plus from a gameplay standpoint it was really solid.
Nothing to really complain about because it was almost exactly like the games before it in that aspect.
And the Story was great, and well written.

deckai

Oct 26, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:

[...]

That's why, if you defend something that you didn't experienced yourself, you seem like a fanboy or sheep. All your points depend on the impressions others make (i.e. Your friends, the reviewer, the videomaker etc.) At best you can have a opinion on their opinions, knowing your sources may improve the reliability, but to really have the right to judge a game you need to play it yourself.

Turbo_ski

Dec 23, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
I completely and totally agree that its not that great of a Metroid Game.
But its still better than most are willing to acknowledge.
All iv been able to do is talk with friends who have played it and watch videos of it, so my opinions come from that.
If you have not played it then you have no grounds to defend it. Watching someone play it doesn't give you any perspective how bad the controls are or how aggravating the game is to play because "interactive" cutscenes go out of their way to piss off the player. That's not even including the awful script, awful voice acting, and how sexist the game is in regards to women (only 2 human females in the game and they are both treated like they are weak and submissive and have mommy/daddy issues).

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Gigaguy64 said:
And if you want even more info on it then Read the Metroid Manga.
It IS Cannon.
Canon or not, "The Manga" is a poor excuse to explain her behavior in MOM, considering it takes place before she's become "Samus Aran, Destroyer of Worlds" and the single worst thing to ever happen to Ridley and the Space Pirates.

heamrh

Aug 20, 2010
HA HA "Nintendo has tried to do something different and bring a human edge, damn them for thinking of the gamers, they should have just done the same thing only different" the reviewers on this site suck

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
When did "having any amount of human emotion" become "being weak"? She CHOSE to follow Adam's orders, he didn't force her to. She responded to bad things that happened to people she cared deeply about. And you know what else she did? SHE KEPT GOING. She had every reason to have an emotional breakdown, to give up and quit, and MOST PEOPLE couldn't have handled it, yet she went on. That is strength if ever I saw it.

Weakness or strength is in how you handle your fears, emotions, and challenges. Having humanity is not weakness, and anybody who claims otherwise is wrong.

P.S. Thanks

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Another game I can use to back up my point that gamers dont want anything new, despite all the gamers aying they want new.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Hmm, what everyone seems to be complaining about in this game sounds like things I'll really enjoy. I can't wait to play it.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Space Jawa said:
Gigaguy64 said:
And if you want even more info on it then Read the Metroid Manga.
It IS Cannon.
Canon or not, "The Manga" is a poor excuse to explain her behavior in MOM, considering it takes place before she's become "Samus Aran, Destroyer of Worlds" and the single worst thing to ever happen to Ridley and the Space Pirates.
That is true.
But i have also said they with the place in the time line the game takes place in, it doesn't make any sense.
But because the Manga didn't do very well and most of the other games didn't have that much characterization for Samus i can understand why Sakamoto wanted to have this game Build on her.
Though i still think the story would fit better towards the beginning of the series time line.