Review: Metroid Other M

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
dududf said:
I'm just checking here, was Steve kidding when he said you can use your powers when your boyfriend says it's alright?

Because if he wasn't kidding... I..I...Yeah.
More accurately, the situation is that Samus is operating under Adam's command, so he's authorizing the use of increasing amount of force on Samus' part. So it's like: "We don't know what we're going into here, use of your big guns is restricted so you don't go half-cocked and accidentally blow up something or someone important" to "Okay, we clearly need heavier firepower here. Use of explosives is authorized." For an example, see this scene [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaxV0nSTz68] from the anime series Gao Gai Gar where the chief authorizes the titular robot's combination, or here [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G44D4QiUANY] with the use of the Goldion Hammer.

At least, that's the idea. The problem is that they used it to let them "unlock" all of Samus' abilities, even the ones, like the Varia and Gravity Suit, that shouldn't need authorization, and realistically would be left to the soldier's discretion. It's a case of a Gameplay and Reality Segregation that goes beyond being justified. Sure, it adds to the challenge in the same way that not having it at all does in Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission, but in real life it comes across as a serious Logic failure.

Dec 14, 2009
Fanta Grape said:
Oh God... I wanted this game to be so successful...

I love my precious Wii. Even if it's useless.. TT_TT

Ellipses...

When I first heard about this game, I really wanted it to be excellent. I really did. I felt that the Prime trilogy was lacking in the exploration part and had you stuck on places you really didn't need to be stuck on. Therefore, I as a HUGE fan of the gameboy/SNES ones. So this one was theoretically supposed to appeal to me. But it just looks so.. jarring and chunky and... Why did they make Samus such a weak woman? She's kick ass!
Don't listen to everyone else. Samus doesn't come across as weak, the game, despite being imperfect visually, feels and plays really well and the combat is great against some of the harder enemies.

Serum211

Sep 28, 2009
Anyone else who has been to Gamespot? They gave it a 8.5\10!

I think I'll lisen to Steve this time. From what i've seen this is'nt a great game.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Well, at least they didn't use the "a tap on the shoulder shorts out all of your abilities" trope.

I'll probably rent this first, but it still looks good. I'll decide whether to take or leave the character development. If all else fails, I can always say later games see Samus grow beyond the excess angst and submissiveness.

Bilbo536

Sep 24, 2009
crotalidian said:
I was worrie dwhen they came out and said that you can watch the cutscenes as a movie when you complete the game and they were PROUD of it!

Not been much of a metroid fan sadly but was looking forward to giving this a whirl but I dont like the sound of the way they took her character so I'll probably give this one a miss
Nothing to add to the forum, just thought I'd let you know that there is indeed someone out there who gets the reference in your avatar/quote-under-your-name. Made me laugh.

glitch388

Undeniable Logic
Feb 9, 2010
I liked the game. Sure, samus is much weaker now that she cant do anything without the ok from Adam. It isnt even like Fusion (which i found this game to be similar to) where she still was "allowed" powers, but even those were actually given and ones that she didnt have. My biggest complaint is the First person controls. They suck a lot. If they just did corruption/trilogy controls, and allowed us to MOVE instead of just aim and shoot awkwardly...

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:
acosn said:
We went from the Prime trilogy to.... hunters and pinball to....this? Nintendo's utterly failed to bring me on board for the Wii for years now, and this doesn't magically change things, but the promise of a Metroid game was about as close as they were going to get TBH.

I'd be embarrassed for Nintendo because simply looking at what Prime did was a who's-who of great games on the gamecube, while this is....

Well, it feels like they skinned the Metroid series, turned it into beef jerky and tried to pass it off as fine steak.
Ummmmm.
im not sure if you know this but.

The Prime games came out in this order.
Prime 1, them Pinball, Echoes, Hunters, Corruption.

And Other M is doing something new with the series, the same thing Prime did.
Do you realize how many people HATED Prime as soon as it was announced?
A lot.
and you know there are still people who hate the prime series just because Nintendo made them and not Super Metroid 2.0

So im not saying that Other M is perfect but i am glad Nintendo tried something new, rather than make another Prime or Super Metroid.
I am well aware. The point was that there was an obvious shift in quality between them.

And yeah, people were critical of the Prime trilogy, but their criticisms were a bit different than what we're dealing with this time around.

Samus has been turned into, "Just another frilly woman." She has to be told by her damn ex to put on the right suit. This isn't the character we're familiar with, and the attempt to flesh out the tall dark and silent personality ends up producing a new one altogether.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Fanta Grape said:

Ellipses...

When I first heard about this game, I really wanted it to be excellent. I really did. I felt that the Prime trilogy was lacking in the exploration part and had you stuck on places you really didn't need to be stuck on. Therefore, I as a HUGE fan of the gameboy/SNES ones. So this one was theoretically supposed to appeal to me. But it just looks so.. jarring and chunky and... Why did they make Samus such a weak woman? She's kick ass!
Don't listen to everyone else. Samus doesn't come across as weak, the game, despite being imperfect visually, feels and plays really well and the combat is great against some of the harder enemies.
You know what? I'll actually take your word for that and maybe buy the game.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If she were "Just another frilly woman" she wouldn't be fighting at all. She'd be hiding out while the men do all the work.

And for the last time, Adam is not her ex, and he didn't force her to do what he said. She CHOSE to follow his directions because she RESPECTED HIM as a FATHER FIGURE. Try actually paying attention to the cutscenes, maybe you'll understand.

P.S. Thanks

Dec 14, 2009
Fanta Grape said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Fanta Grape said:

Ellipses...

You know what? I'll actually take your word for that and maybe buy the game.
It does have the whiff of a Final Fantasy drama, and it was never going to be as good as the prime games. It starts off a little slow in terms of combat but as soon as harder enemies come along, you'll be jumping all over the place and blasting the crap out of everything.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Covarr said:
And for the last time, Adam is not her ex, and he didn't force her to do what he said. She CHOSE to follow his directions because she RESPECTED HIM as a FATHER FIGURE. Try actually paying attention to the cutscenes, maybe you'll understand.
Why am I not surprised that this argument does nothing to improve my opinion of the situation?

She's going to purposefully handicap herself in a manner that pointlessly risks her life out of respect? That's not respect, that's downright stupidity. And Samus is nowhere near that stupid.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Xiado said:
Personally, I think the story relating to Samus was disgustingly sexist as well as poorly written. I would never let the dirty hands or Team Ninja anywhere near the Metroid franchise.
Agreed, when Team Ninja makes a female character it's usually an uninteresting, oversexualized bimbo who the "manley man" must protect and if not she's usually taking orders from one. Why they put the Metroid franchise in their hands is beyond me, too much drugs, sex and alcohol fucking with the minds of the higher ups in Nintendo, perhaps?

I mean seriously, you don't put a franchise with a strong female lead into that hands of perverted sexists like Team Ninja.

Dec 14, 2009
Blatherscythe said:
Xiado said:
Personally, I think the story relating to Samus was disgustingly sexist as well as poorly written. I would never let the dirty hands or Team Ninja anywhere near the Metroid franchise.
Agreed, when Team Ninja makes a female character it's usually an uninteresting, oversexualized bimbo who the "manley man" must protect and if not she's usually taking orders from one. Why they put the Metroid franchise in their hands is beyond me, too much drugs, sex and alcohol fucking with the minds of the higher ups in Nintendo, perhaps?

I mean seriously, you don't put a franchise with a strong female lead into that hands of perverted sexists like Team Ninja.
You really don't get the impression that they've ruined her character, she isn't oversexualised and I don't think it's sexist by any means. The only gripe I have is the voice actor, she's about as wooden as catholic priest at a boyscout convention.

Blatherscythe

Oct 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Blatherscythe said:
Xiado said:

You really don't get the impression that they've ruined her character, she isn't oversexualised and I don't think it's sexist by any means. The only gripe I have is the voice actor, she's about as wooden as catholic priest at a boyscout convention.
Didn't say they did that to Samus, even though they made her personality contridict everything she's done in the past (you kick someone's ass 4 times even if they did horrible things to you in the past it would probably become therapudic, killing the bastard who killed your parents over and over) they wouldn't be able to get away with that much bullshit. And why did they not get Jennifer Hale to do her voice again?

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
acosn said:
Gigaguy64 said:
acosn said:
We went from the Prime trilogy to.... hunters and pinball to....this? Nintendo's utterly failed to bring me on board for the Wii for years now, and this doesn't magically change things, but the promise of a Metroid game was about as close as they were going to get TBH.

I'd be embarrassed for Nintendo because simply looking at what Prime did was a who's-who of great games on the gamecube, while this is....

Well, it feels like they skinned the Metroid series, turned it into beef jerky and tried to pass it off as fine steak.
Ummmmm.
im not sure if you know this but.

The Prime games came out in this order.
Prime 1, them Pinball, Echoes, Hunters, Corruption.

And Other M is doing something new with the series, the same thing Prime did.
Do you realize how many people HATED Prime as soon as it was announced?
A lot.
and you know there are still people who hate the prime series just because Nintendo made them and not Super Metroid 2.0

So im not saying that Other M is perfect but i am glad Nintendo tried something new, rather than make another Prime or Super Metroid.
I am well aware. The point was that there was an obvious shift in quality between them.

And yeah, people were critical of the Prime trilogy, but their criticisms were a bit different than what we're dealing with this time around.

Samus has been turned into, "Just another frilly woman." She has to be told by her damn ex to put on the right suit. This isn't the character we're familiar with, and the attempt to flesh out the tall dark and silent personality ends up producing a new one altogether.
Ok, i just wasent sure from the way you worded it.
:p
And while i do see the shift in quality between the games, its kind of back and forth so im expecting the next one to be awesome.
And i don't think MP Pinball counts because...its a Pinball game that was made for fun, and it does what it does well IMO

And while i don't agree that Samus has been turned into just another frilly Woman, i agree that the attempt to build on Samus's character didn't turn out quite right.
But im just glad that its over and done with so now the next game hopefully wont have as much Characterization as OM.
Just please.....Adam is her Ex-Commanding Officer, not Boyfriend.
While yes she is submissive to him, it makes sense to me because she respects him Greatly as her Former CO and as a Father figure.
The implementation is stupid yes, but i like it better than lose powers find moar!
Anyway, just my opinion.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Everyone needs to calm down about the whole can't use weapons and upgrades until you're authorized thing. It may not make much sense, but was the old system that much more logical? You still obtain power-ups at steady pace and are granted them when they are needed to progress, just like older Metroids. The only major flaw with this new system is that it seems to not match up with the rest of the games emphasis on story and communication. It doesn't break the game; It only induces a few eye rolls and makes obtaining power-ups slightly less exciting. At it's core, this is a true Metoid game. I was never expecting it to be as mind-blowingly awesome as Metroid Prime or Super Metroid, but the successful implementation of being able to switch your view from 2d to 3d and run through 2d and 3d environments alike makes this game a hugely successful experiment, as well as a fresh take on the franchise. I'm sure that if this game was a new IP, it would be receiving heavy praise and scoring higher in reviews.

kaocrat

Mar 22, 2009
What drives me crazy about this is that it's making me realize how much of a Metroid nerd I actually am. I figured the game would probably turn out kind of stupid, based on what I saw in the interviews and trailers leading up to this, but I had no idea it would piss me off this much. I honestly feel sort of betrayed, and I hate the fact that I care so much.

Oh well. Same thing happened with the Alien movies. I can always go into denial about it I suppose. Other M is my Alien 4. I'll just pretend it doesn't exist.

Uncanny Doom

May 24, 2010
It's a good game, but man, I don't know how they let what solid potential it had not be properly executed on. The controls could almost be completely remedied with the addition of the nunchuck, which would add a great level of fluidity in the options of what you can do. If they fixed that the gameplay would be much better, and then we'd only have to worry about Samus' bad voice acting.

You can see glimpses of potential in Other M but overall it takes a while for those moments to shine through.