Review: Metroid Other M

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
The people complaining Samus is acting out of character, you're just wrong. She isn't out of character, she's just not the character that you wanted her to be. Because prior to this game, she didn't HAVE any character. The only character she's ever had prior to this come from the manga which next to no one has ever read, and Fusion, and quite frankly, the way she acts in Other M syncs up with both fairly well.

Furthermore, Adam isn't her ex, he's her father figure.

That's not to say the plot doesn't have it's strange moments (the thing with the Varia suit being chief among them), but when they happen, they tend to be very minor in the grand scheme of things. The only complaint that has any genuine merit is her reaction to seeing Ridley, which, most likely, it's a reaction the developers chose in A. a flimsy attempt to make Ridley look more threatening, and B. because they wanted to show her having that reaction ages ago (like in the first Metroid or Super) but couldn't for one reason or another (lack of cutscenes probably) and figured they'd never have another opportunity. Afterall, it's pretty much exactly what happened when she encountered him in the manga as well. A weak excuse, but meh, to be fair, if you had to deal with a big giant space dragon who kept coming back no matter how many times you kill him, always being on the verge of getting killed by it (because usually, Ridley tends to be one of the harder bosses in any given game), always fearing that someday he'll catch you off guard or in a moment of weakness and finally get the better of you, before going on to set the universe ablaze and conquer it, that could scare the piss out of you. And emotional traumas do have a tendency to occasionally resurface at the strangest and most unfortunate of times in real life.

Also, when Samus is speaking in a monotone, that's not bad acting, because that's exactly what the developers told her to do. That monotone was a conscious decision on the creator's part, so acting wise, it's pretty much exactly the way it's supposed to be.

EDIT: Apparently I'm not done venting about this...

Samus is still a badass. She still massacres aliens without hesitation, in even flashier and more badass ways than before. All this 'crying' and 'whining' she does? She keeps it to herself, in an internal monologue, save for one emotional moment closer to the end. It's not like she's imposing her problems on anybody else. And you're telling her she's not allowed to do that. You're basically saying that she's not allowed to be a goddamned human being, because that ruins your illusion of her being a bloody robot. Ignoring the one strange aforementioned incident with Ridley, she never hesitates, she's never afraid, she never lacks confidence in combat. She lacks confidence in what Adam thinks of her because, oh my god, real people worry about disappointing their parental figures! Especially when said parental figure is probably the only person in the universe left she actually cares for. She also spends a fair portion of the game in emotional shock that people are sacrificing their lives for her, starting with the baby metroid. Even when she allows Adam to refuse her access to her abilities, she doesn't complain, she just keeps going and kicks ass without them, because she doesn't need them. When she DOES need them, she doesn't hesitate to use them, regardless of whether she has authorization, like when she gets the space jump and screw attack, sarcastically asking 'Any objections, Adam?', or when using the power bomb at the end of the game. The more abilities you have, the less badass she comes off as anyway, because the most awesome things she does are the overblasts and lethal kills she does near the beginning, that she can't do near the end because you're just one-shotting everything, which, running around with an overpowered gun isn't really the most awesome thing ever.

To me, all this complaining and bitching about how Samus doesn't act the way you want her to, even if the way she acts is actually perfectly logical for a real human being or is a completely in-character moment, all your whining is far far worse than anything Samus does in this game. I'd rather play as a character who has problems but doesn't let them get in the way of kicking ass instead of some hyper manly silent killing machine who doesn't bother with emotions because they're for women and pussies, and at least she doesn't let her problems get the better of her, instead of everyone who's actually refusing to play an otherwise great game just because they don't wanna hear her talk to herself.

EDIT the second: And while I'm ranting and bitching myself, I never once had any problems with the controls. Maybe I'm just magical that way, but they struck me as perfectly fine. Even the supposed difficulty of switching between 3rd and 1st person was easy, what with the fact that the game even has the courtesy of going into slo-motion when you switch. The fact that you can't dodge in 1st person just means you actually have to think about when to switch instead of just doing it whenever. You're giving up mobility for power, it's supposed to actually be a decision to make.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Given Team Ninja did develop it, was anyone really expecting them to do anything with Samus other than turn her into an anime cliche?

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
Given Team Ninja did develop it, was anyone really expecting them to do anything with Samus other than turn her into an anime cliche?
Team Ninja only did the gameplay. All story and character decisions were done by Sakamoto, Samus's original creator.

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Felix Arturo Macias Ibarra said:
It´s not her boyfriend it´s her commander¡¡ She is just trying to be a good soldier.
Why? It didn't seem to bother her in all the other games, where she singehandedly wiped out a whole species... why now? Because Sakamoto is a pretentious douche, who tries to be the complete opposite of Myamoto this also reflects in his games, while myamotos are fun, his games are pretentios. I'm Glad he didn't have the controll over Metroid Prime.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
The big reveal near the end of the game... I do not like. Completely undermines Fusion's greatest plot points.

Other than that and Samus' voice (non-)acting, it was an awesome game.

Dec 14, 2009
Gizen said:
I know what you mean, I haven't had a single problem with the controls or the camera, in fact, that's true for a lot of games I play with supposedly 'bad' controls and camera. Maybe people just suck at using joypads.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Gigaguy64 said:
Mangue Surfer said:
So, they make samus a paltry blowjob dispenser.
Sad. She was one of the most strong female character in the industry.
No.
They make her Submissive to a man she Greatly Admires and Views as a Father.
Not that far fetched.

Plus she still does most of the Butt Kicking.
thank you :3

for those of you that DON'T get it, i present this
http://metroid.retropixel.net/comics/metroidmanga/
the manga giving Samus's back ground :D your welcome

as for the game it self, yeah, the scanning is annoying, and the slow walk is kinda pointless, and the being in first person to pop off a missile sucks, but far from a deal breaker (i don't spam em anyway, what the charge beams for) the VO and cut scenes i actually like, little long, but since she's been silent the last 20+ years, i don't mind

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
Kitsuna10060 said:
for those of you that DON'T get it, i present this
http://metroid.retropixel.net/comics/metroidmanga/
the manga giving Samus's back ground :D your welcome
Manga -> Metroid -> Metroid Prime -> Metroid Prime Hunters -> Metroid Prime 2: Echoes -> Metroid Prime 3: Corruption -> Metroid II: Return of Samus -> Super Metroid -> Metroid: Other M

Assuming that "The Manga" is canon, there's seven games that take place between it and MOM. Seven games in which she's blown up entire planets, kicked Ridley's butt several times over, and become one of, if not the, greatest weapons the G-Feds have in their fight against the Space Pirate menace.

As far as game play mechanics go, there is a way to incorporate the
upgrade system into a metroid game and not have Samus look like a girl
that droops her purse whenever she tries to walk in high heals or a mindless puppet of a psudo father figure.
Tie the use of Samus Aran's items to her collection of Energy Tanks.
Samus has full access to all her items at the beginning but each item
requires a certain amount of power to use it for a period of time.
Then the item is deactivated and Samus must deplete the appropriate
amount of power to reactivate the item. For example, the Varia suit
could require two energy tanks to turn on and will remain active for
30 minutes. The screw attack would require five energy tanks and only
last for 7 minutes. The more energy tanks a player acquires, the more
areas of the map become available. This could also inspire new and
interesting environmental puzzles.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
... Ugh.

So, let me get this straight. This game unabashedly rapes Samus's characterization by making her completely define herself by the man in her life, which is exactly what Samus should never, ever be doing, and all this review can say is "Oh well. La-la" ?

That's despicable.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
NickCaligo42 said:
... Ugh.

So, let me get this straight. This game unabashedly rapes Samus's characterization by making her completely define herself by the man in her life, which is exactly what Samus should never, ever be doing, and all this review can say is "Oh well. La-la" ?

That's despicable.
No, that's not it at all. First off, the 'man' is her surrogate father, not her boyfriend as the review stated. Second, she doesn't define her life by him at all, BUT prior to the events in this game, she had a falling out with the man and left on bad terms, and hasn't seen or spoken to him since. So yes, a good part of the game does deal with the way she's feels about him, and at one point she's briefly concerned over what his opinion of her would be, after reminiscing about some of the things she's done that she probably shouldn't have, in the same way that most children worry about disappointing their parents. But that's not defining her life around him, that's dealing with current events. And if you think that rapes her characterization, then it means your idea of how she was characterized previously is wrong.

The only thing remotely resembling character derailing is an already infamous scene involving Ridley, in which said 'man' Adam isn't involved in the slightest, and even that scene can be explained away via A. reading the Metroid manga, and B. taking into account the emotional and mental stress she's already gone through by that point in the game. Though the fact that you'd need to have read a manga to understand what's going on at all is a sign that they didn't do a good enough job explaining the situation in-game where they should've. They could've done a better job showing her characterization, but they sure as hell didn't rape it.

Confirmed22 said:
As far as game play mechanics go, there is a way to incorporate the
upgrade system into a metroid game and not have Samus look like a girl
that droops her purse whenever she tries to walk in high heals or a mindless puppet of a psudo father figure.
Tie the use of Samus Aran's items to her collection of Energy Tanks.
Samus has full access to all her items at the beginning but each item
requires a certain amount of power to use it for a period of time.
Then the item is deactivated and Samus must deplete the appropriate
amount of power to reactivate the item. For example, the Varia suit
could require two energy tanks to turn on and will remain active for
30 minutes. The screw attack would require five energy tanks and only
last for 7 minutes. The more energy tanks a player acquires, the more
areas of the map become available. This could also inspire new and
interesting environmental puzzles.
That's a terrible idea. Energy tanks have always been optional items to be found, many of them quite difficult. Players who failed to find them all would just be screwed. Getting 100% would practically be mandatory to beat the game. Not to mention it doesn't make any damn sense. Why would she already have her powers but somehow not have the power to use them?

Other than the Varia Suit, the authorization system at least made sense, and it didn't make Samus look like she was a puppet at all considering that she could afford to turn her abilities off because she clearly didn't need them, turning them off was rationalized as using some of them would kill and destroy everything around you that you're trying to keep alive/intact, and when she DOES need them, she just turns them on anyways regardless of whether she has authorization or not.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Doomsdaylee said:
And, according to my sources, the Varia suit, amongst the Japanese, who developed it, ABSOLUTE loyalty to your C.O. like that is just an accepted fact of life. It's weird, considering Sammy is a BOUNTY HUNTER, but hey, she's never really been a bounty hunter in the sense of the word anyways.
Weeell, the thing is, Samus DOES have a rebellious streak. She showed that in Fusion, and admitted to it in Other M. While there is a sense of loyalty there between them, I don't think it's that loyalty alone that keeps her from using it, considering her history of rebellion. It's more likely that the time it would take to argue about it is costly when there's so much stuff going on that needs to be dealt with, and that she probably felt like she didn't need it and that it just wasn't worth fighting with him over, especially when she was there for the purpose of trying to help him out.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
Doomsdaylee said:
Various whining about people complaining about things that don't make sense
Well kid, news flash. The FANS are the ones who give the money to idiots like Sakamoto to make games. So he should listen to THE FANS. Remember what happened with the character model in Infamous 2? (that's the most recent example i can think of off the top of my head) That's the developer listening to THE FANS because he knows where his money comes from.

Were I as genocidal as Samus (she wiped out Zebes twice and SR388), I'd be laughing maniacally at the chane to kill my most hated enemy again AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!

And about Adam being a father figure , not an ex? I said it before. Oedipus complex. The way she talks about him, it's the only explanation. Look it up in between your Sakamoto worship. You might learn something.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
MasterV said:
Well kid, news flash. The FANS are the ones who give the money to idiots like Sakamoto to make games. So he should listen to THE FANS. Remember what happened with the character model in Infamous 2? (that's the most recent example i can think of off the top of my head) That's the developer listening to THE FANS because he knows where his money comes from.
And here's a newsflash for you. Most fans? They're idiots. Letting the fans make a game is the fastest way to ruin it. Hell, for starters, not even all the so-called 'fans' are in agreement. If Samus was characterized the way you want her to be, I'd be bitching just as hard about how her character was derailed and how awful she is, as would everyone who actually likes the way she was portrayed in this game, which is at least as many people as there are who disliked it. Right now, everyone bitching about Samus's character being wrong is just immature and whining cause they didn't get what they want.
Were I as genocidal as Samus (she wiped out Zebes twice and SR388), I'd be laughing maniacally at the chane to kill my most hated enemy again AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!
Yes, but then you would be a psychopath. Not only is that not a positive trait, but to expect anything even remotely like that from a Nintendo game of all things is idiocy unparalleled.
And about Adam being a father figure , not an ex? I said it before. Oedipus complex. The way she talks about him, it's the only explanation. Look it up in between your Sakamoto worship. You might learn something.
No, it really isn't the only explanation. And just because somebody actually likes the game, or likes the way she was portrayed, doesn't instantly make them a Sakamoto worshipping fanboy. I can point out a hundred things the game did wrong, which would include presentation used to portray Samus character. But the actual characterization itself? That isn't one of them.