Review: Pokémon Black & White Versions

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Argh, I went down to EB yesterday to get this, and it turns out it's not out in Australia for another four days :p
[small]How I do hate the video game industry in Australia...[/small]

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I've decided to skip this generation, but it sounds pretty good.

But the evil guys being a protest group against animal cruelty? That doesn't seem very evil.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Got White just now, and am already racing out into the new world with my Snivy, which I nicknamed, rather aptly in my honest opinion, Smugleaf. It's awesome!!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
You know what I noticed reading through this again (like, actually reading through. the first time I mainly skimmed cause I was in a hurry)?

They didnt talk about the Dream World, or the way pokemon will get new natures through it.
Because you can't access it yet, not until March 30th anyway

cartographer54

Aug 23, 2009
Yeah, on the second page, it has a pikachu on the huge billboard, and I'm pretty sure that's not "well after you've beaten the game."

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Got the game at midnight at the local supermarket, which is awesome because the Gamestop nearby isnt even open at midnight, not even for midnight releases for big games.

Apr 28, 2008
Serris said:
Irridium said:
Serris said:
Irridium said:
Serris said:
Irridium said:
Does this game's online features still require a WEP connection? Because I'm sick of not being able to go online in SoulSilver because I have a WPA connection.
erms, my connection uses wpa, and i can go online with SS.
it doesn't depend on your game, it depends on your DS.
only DSi's and later have wpa support.
Yeah I know. But I don't feel like buying another DS. Plus then I wouldn't be able to play my GBA games.
then why do you ask if it can use wepconnection, when you KNOW it's the ds that's responsible for the encryption :S
Sorry, should have been more clear. I meant that I recently found out SoulSilver could use WPA, and that it was the DS itself that was the problem.
ah, like so.
maybe you can use a public hotspot somewhere to do your trading?
Yeah, thats pretty much my only option, short of buying a new DS. But I figure since the 3DS can play DS games, I'll just get that instead.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I picked up a copy of Pokemon Black this morning, and have already sunk about 6 and a half hours into it. What sucks is I have school work I should be doing, but this is the first Pokemon game I've bought (actually bought, I've played roms of others) in a long time and it's exciting.

There's more emphasis on story, I didn't have to name my rivals (which I like because it gives the characters a more defined personality),

My favorite thing though is that EVERY Pokemon I've come in contact with has been new and interesting, and challenging. I find myself in trainer battles when I see the name of the Pokemon that's next thinking, "ok, now what the hell is this thing going to be? should I change Pokemon too? Hmm..." and I love it. It's keeping me on my toes.

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Never owned a Pokemon game before. Bought Black and White (gonna give White to a friend) on Friday. Addicted already. Easy to play for a beginner, and I'm slowly getting the hang of the "rock-paper-scissors" mechanic.

Really enjoying it. My Oshawott just evolved into Dewott as well. So proud of him. :)

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Eri said:
GeorgW said:
Nice review, but you forgot one important aspect, Which is better, Black or White??

Hyper-space said:
[HEADING=1]TMs can be used infinitely[/HEADING]
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

Nothing will be the same.
This cannot be true. I call fake.
It's true. Not fake at all.
OH M LORD! That almost made me cum :D

I just cant wait...1 week and the game comes here...but then ill have to wait for the 3DS X_X

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Bloodstain said:
So we get to crush PETA? YAY!
Now I am interested.
Yup, that's the vibe I got when I started playing today. Just like PETA, they say they are for the ethical treatment of animals, but in the end they do a lot of things that aren't ethical and end up hurting animals.

Azmael Silverlance said:
OH M LORD! That almost made me cum :D

I just cant wait...1 week and the game comes here...but then ill have to wait for the 3DS X_X
Why would you have to wait for the 3DS? You don't have a one of the other DS types to play it on, or is your 3DS waiting a separate thing from the game waiting?

I definitely love the infinite TMs. The first one I got was from beating the first gym. It is a nice move that raises the attack and special attack of the user. I used it on three of the 5 members of the team I have so far.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
PseudoDuck said:
Never owned a Pokemon game before. Bought Black and White (gonna give White to a friend) on Friday. Addicted already. Easy to play for a beginner, and I'm slowly getting the hang of the "rock-paper-scissors" mechanic.

Really enjoying it. My Oshawott just evolved into Dewott as well. So proud of him. :)
Ah a newbie. Well the rock-paper-scissors mechanic will become more complicated, because eventually you will have encountered all 17 types and how some have multiple weaknesses and strengths, though it still goes deeper than those types.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Eico said:
They haven't changed anything; all they've done is give a new mask to old, tired and worn out mechanics and Pokemon.

Replacing Geodude with Rockdude (just an example to make a point) doesn't mean there's no rock pokemon you find every three steps in a cave - it just has a new bloody name.

Old crap, new paint.
Totally wrong. It sounds like you haven't played the game, so you can't judge.

I've played every generation of game, and there are always new things. Though I'd say that this generation feels the newest.

John Funk said:
Review: Pokémon Black & White Versions

Another evolution.

Read Full Article
I don't know how far you've got into the game, but will players eventually get more storage boxes? Because I only saw 8 and that is only enough for 240, though I'm guessing that I will get more after I unlock the ability to get the past generation Pokemon.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Besides the fact that the control system requiring you to alternate between the d-pad, buttons, and touch screen, this game is awesome. All of the AI tactics that you could exploit to easily win matches have been fixed. It pisses me off, because the game is way harder, but I love it.