Review: Pokémon Black & White Versions

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Stoic raptor said:
I would love to get White, but I really do not have the money. And if I did, I am saving it for something else. I would probably get it when it becomes cheaper, like every single game I get. I wonder if my DS lite is able to play it?
Why wouldn't it run on your DS lite? It runs just fine on my DS lite.

subtlefuge said:
Besides the fact that the control system requiring you to alternate between the d-pad, buttons, and touch screen, this game is awesome. All of the AI tactics that you could exploit to easily win matches have been fixed. It pisses me off, because the game is way harder, but I love it.
Aargh, yes! I hate that I have to press X to get the menu to save an look at my team. I wish it was like Heart Gold where the menu was on the bottom touch screen where I could just quickly use the stylus.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
Loving it so far. Seems like they ramped up the challenge this generation.

Also, I wonder how many people automatically named their Snivy "Smugleaf." :)

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Azmael Silverlance said:
OH M LORD! That almost made me cum :D

I just cant wait...1 week and the game comes here...but then ill have to wait for the 3DS X_X
Why would you have to wait for the 3DS? You don't have a one of the other DS types to play it on, or is your 3DS waiting a separate thing from the game waiting?

I definitely love the infinite TMs. The first one I got was from beating the first gym. It is a nice move that raises the attack and special attack of the user. I used it on three of the 5 members of the team I have so far.
Oooh i thought the Black & White editions were like 3DS exclusive or something :O
This is awesome then next week i can already start busting pokemons :D

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Azmael Silverlance said:
Oooh i thought the Black & White editions were like 3DS exclusive or something :O
This is awesome then next week i can already start busting pokemons :D
Yes it is fun!

I'm surprised how many people have thought that Black and White were 3DS games, considering how the 3DS doesn't launch for another 20 or so days, and I've never heard of next gen games going on sale weeks before the next gen device gets to market.

I'm just happy I'm actually playing it. I pre-ordered White form GameStop back in June. I hadn't realized how long I was going to have to wait. It was so long, the ink on my receipt faded off, I'm glad they used my cell number as proof that I pre-ordered. I'm also happy that I got there on the last day that they were having the free Celebi promotion, got it on my Heart Gold. Now all I need is a Wifi connection to get Victini, and a computer so I can do the special Celebi transfer to my White so that I can get Zorua as well.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I got this game this morning. Jesus, I waited in line for 15 minutes, I don't think I've ever seen Gamestop so packed. But I love this game. I really feel like they made an effort to really improve these games from the last gen. It really does feel like a fresh start for the series. Love my Servine. Love the graphics. Love the soundtrack (surprisingly not annoying and beepy). Love it.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Seriously, still just one save file? That means this was bumped down from "will buy" to "maybe buy". I know that my fiancée wants to play this as much as I do, but with one save file only one of us can play it at one time. And then the save must be deleted when one of us is done with it, for the other one to play. That is out of the question. Hope they remedy this in the next games, but it really doesn't seem like they will. Ever.

stuhacking

Mar 7, 2010
The only thing that bothers me about this game is the lack of regard they gave to UI design on a low res device. A lot of buttons have awkward angles (~20/30deg) that render really poorly... straight edges with rounded corners would have been a better decision and looked much sharper.

Kinda wish they'd upped the resolution for the pokemon sprites as well. (Jaggymon, I choose you!)

Other than that I'm enjoying it. It's at least as good as the other games in the series from the initial 3 hours.

Siyano_v1legacy

Jul 27, 2010
Nothing against Pokemon its a great game, but re-hashing the game for the 16th time, really?
Its still pretty sick that still cash in very much of just redoing the story and adding/removing/changing pokemon while adding/removing/changing some move. So for the very low effort this games really require I would think it could give way more than what it does now.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
stuhacking said:
The only thing that bothers me about this game is the lack of regard they gave to UI design on a low res device. A lot of buttons have awkward angles (~20/30deg) that render really poorly... straight edges with rounded corners would have been a better decision and looked much sharper.

Kinda wish they'd upped the resolution for the pokemon sprites as well. (Jaggymon, I choose you!)
It's at least as good as the other games in the series from the initial 3 hours.

Yep, brilliant game with lots of improvement over the older games.

Triple battles? awesome.
A good story? fantastic.
The much improved but still very out of date graphics? Pretty damn cool aside from jaggy sprites.
The new moves and mons? not sure yet but they make some interesting options.

The User interface? umm.. we've had better in the series
The Pokémon following you around? WTF happened to that feature? It was the best thing ever(ish).

What is it with Gamefreak? Two steps forward one step back, every bloody time.

The HG\SS UI (particularly the bottom screen menu) was brilliant and clear.
What it needed was a few touch ups like making move with the team list up the default behaviour for the Pokémon storage system and having the shoulder buttons move through boxes; after all you could do everything apart from manage your items from that state.
Maybe have a button in the bottom right of the touch screen to switch between different types of info, including the c-gear, like the Pokétch in pearl\diamond did. Hell, perhaps they could have made one of them a Pokedex.

What we got was another awkward and ugly menu system like every other Pokemon game and a bottom screen that only shows information that can be used occasionally at best. Does this stuff fly in Japan? Is this how people like to get their information, by digging around rather than at a glance?

Worse the service that useless bottom screen is meant for isn't available for the first month the game is out.

Awesome game though, stupid inexcusable problems aside.
Come on Snidly the snivy, time to stomp the A.L.F rip-offs once and for all.

Siyano" post="6.268601.10320220 said:
very low effort this games really require quote]

What? You ever tried creating a tile-based sprite world? It's a LOT of work, you could just spam stuff down but to do a job as good as Gamefreak does takes serious time and effort. Then they have to spend time creating pokemon; making each one just different enough, adding moves to make new mons interesting, making sure every pokemon has some relevance. Then they have to make the competitive game more involving while maintaining balance.

Every pokemon game has moved the competetive game on significantly which is thousands of hours of testing and bug hunting you can be sure. The point of pokemon is finding somthing interesting and developing your skill with it and every one of the games has delivered, alittle formulaic on the single player side but not without effort. This time round they fixed single play, it's intersting in of itself and breaks from the old routines. Your complaint is a long way from the truth.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Who wants to donate money to the "Fanklok needs money for a DS and pokemon White version" fund?

stuhacking

Mar 7, 2010
Unrulyhandbag said:
Maybe have a button in the bottom right of the touch screen to switch between different types of info, including the c-gear, like the Pokétch in pearl\diamond did. Hell, perhaps they could have made one of them a Pokedex.
This 1000 times! I was really excited when I first saw the c-gear because I assumed that it was the next generation of pokétch. Now that I've learned it's only for connectivity it's probably not going to get used much. I like that it still tells the time.

Unrulyhandbag said:
What we got was another awkward and ugly menu system like every other Pokemon game and a bottom screen that only shows information that can be used occasionally at best. Does this stuff fly in Japan? Is this how people like to get their information, by digging around rather than at a glance?
I gather that wifi (and internet in general) is a lot more ubiquitous in Japan and it's probably more common for people (kids/teens/adults?) to carry a DS around. Of course, wild speculation on my part, but these two factors would make the c-gear more accessible and a more social experience that works well in that setting.

The UK, on the other hand, has very poor internet connectivity and far fewer people carry DSs. Not to mention the rules that Brits are not allowed to talk to each other in public. I probably won't get much use of the c-gear outside my normal circle of pokémon playing friends.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Echo136 said:
John Funk said:
You're at least a teenager in this one. Baby steps.
I personally love the fact that you play an older character. Its more relatable to me, even though im in my mid twenties. The addition of TM's being reusable I think has me sold on this game. In every other game, I always covet them to the point I never use TMs because I only get one in the game. Kinda like getting elixers in final fantasy games.
Or elixers in Pokemon games ;D

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Sweet. Maybe one day, they'll make a game with a sort of Pokemon black market that lets you sell and buy Pokemon. :3

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
Siyano said:
Nothing against Pokemon its a great game, but re-hashing the game for the 16th time, really?
Its still pretty sick that still cash in very much of just redoing the story and adding/removing/changing pokemon while adding/removing/changing some move. So for the very low effort this games really require I would think it could give way more than what it does now.
You really didn't read the review, did you?
WaderiAAA said:
I've decided to skip this generation, but it sounds pretty good.

But the evil guys being a protest group against animal cruelty? That doesn't seem very evil.
Well, they 'liberate' Pokémon from trainers and little girls, and kick Munnas. So yeah, they are pretty evil.
Ah, yeah that is clearly evil.

I'm a bit disappointed that they couldn't go about the topic in a more interesting way though. I'd like to see a game where there was an organization that was peacefully protesting against capturing pokemon, and you could choose whether to join them or not. If you joined them, you would have to befriend your pokemon by playing with them and petting them, you could not keep them in pokeballs and not force them to fight if they didn't want to, so it would be much more work. Thus you would have to choose between the easiest way and (at least if you think so) the way that is right.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
GeorgW said:
Eri said:
GeorgW said:
Nice review, but you forgot one important aspect, Which is better, Black or White??

Hyper-space said:
[HEADING=1]TMs can be used infinitely[/HEADING]
Back.The.Fuck.Off.

Nothing will be the same.
This cannot be true. I call fake.
It's true. Not fake at all.
But that defeats their entire purpose! Why would they do that??
Ha, I've always had unlimited TM's from day one in all my Pokemon games. I luvs my Action Replay!

Rivers Wells

Aug 26, 2010
arc1991 said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Ok so who's the new zubat?

Meet Woobat, the new Zubat...but less annoying and cute =3

OT: Got this game today, and my liberty pass ^_^ love it!
AHHHH!
AHHHH!
AHHHH!
AHHHH!
AHHHH!

x_x

OT: Great game, love the new story hook, can't wait to get back to it

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
ok if they are to come out with one more version of pokemon they definetly got more than enough for like a pokemon mmo game or something

minespatch

Jan 13, 2011
ShadowKirby said:
Fr said:
anc[is]Ok so who's the new zubat?
http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/527.shtml
Maybe it's just me, but I think the green version looks better by a artistic color cordination standpoint than blue.

SirBryghtside said:
WaderiAAA said:
I've decided to skip this generation, but it sounds pretty good.

But the evil guys being a protest group against animal cruelty? That doesn't seem very evil.
Well, they 'liberate' Pokémon from trainers and little girls, and kick Munnas. So yeah, they are pretty evil.
They contradict themselves. :|

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Brainst0rm said:
So where do the colors go from here?

Pokemon Rainbow? You start life as a gay activist just getting your start in the wide world of homophobia...

Pokemon Gray? Where the villains are actually doing some good, and you're pretty sure the Professor has done horrible things to his nephew...

Pokemon Neon? Pokemon Purple? Pokemon Pink? Seriously, what's left?
Pokemon Coke/Pepsi

ultrachicken said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
So there's an actual story to this?

Like anyone actually plays the game for the story, but I'm now curious to see how that works out.
I highly doubt there's a story. While Gamefreak put a twist on the evil organization by making them an animal (pokémon) rights organization, Team Plasma will most certainly be demonized in the same way as team rocket was.

Well, I'm actually interested in this game now, but I'm going to wait until it drops in price.
I've finished the game, and there actually is a story, a pretty good one too, in my opinion.