Review: Splatterhouse

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
I laughed when I saw it advertising on the escapist as "The bloodiest game of e3" - Kotaku.

Not something to really brag about.

A step backwards for games being taken as an art, or even seriously, IMO.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Man, I saw an ad for this game in Game Informer and I was sorta hoping it would be one of those games the polar opposite of Madworld - kinda using blood ironically, self-satirical in a sense. It seems to take itself seriously, which - like you said - ends up with a "here is something a 13-year-old boy would love" scenario. If I was a 13-year-old boy, I'd probably lap it up no questions asked, but without any sort of light-heartedness behind over-the-top violence like this, like House of the Dead: Overkill sort of overtones, I imagine it would get tedious.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
I gues, I am slightly dissapointed, but i still want to give it a chance regardless.

Reaper69lol

Disciple of The Gravity cat
Apr 16, 2010
Mass B said:
Just another example of how the games industry, as well as the people who buy these kinds of games, seriously need to grow up
That is a very bold statement there, I would be careful when saying something like that. You got to consider that some people enjoy over the top and silly games such as splatterhouse. Not every game has to be mature and realistic. Sometimes a total lack of realism and over the top silliness provides the best escapism and most fun, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Out of everything, the loading screens are what annoy me the most, I honestly don't mind the rest. I think you need to be a very specific type of person who really loved the original games and are into the whole exploitation cinema thing.

I am one of those people, I know it's stupid and over the top, I also know that the controls are a little dire sometimes and that it's not incredibly inventive but sometimes you just have to ignore all the in-depth gameplay mechanics, high definition graphics and amazing story line and just enjoy something stupid.

It's like whenever I pass up watching the latest blockbuster movie in order to watch Santa Claus Conquers The Martians or The Evil Dead. I've always had a soft spot for campy, kitsch little guilty pleasures and this game is definitely a neat distraction away from the usual fare.

It's the first time I wasn't disappointed when a game didn't completely deliver what it originally promised, it never promised to be much to begin with and that's alright by me. So, in conclusion; it's not impressive or amazing, but it's fun if you want to just pass a little time and fits right in alongside your collection of 80's Italian and Japanese horror films.

But, like I said, you have to be that specific type of person.

Gentleman_Reptile

Jan 25, 2010
The only thing I care about is this is the first game I've seen in at least a year that has actual, decent pre-rendered cutscenes.

AKmontalvo

Nov 19, 2009
Brian Hendershot said:
No amount of nostalgia for the original can stop me from returning this game and performing an exorcism on my Xbox.
I just wanted u to be aware that when i read this i laughed so hard i left the room and came back when i had calmed down, am im usually one of those people who just huffs and smiles when i find something funny so waay kudos

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
AKmontalvo said:
Brian Hendershot said:
No amount of nostalgia for the original can stop me from returning this game and performing an exorcism on my Xbox.
I just wanted u to be aware that when i read this i laughed so hard i left the room and came back when i had calmed down, am im usually one of those people who just huffs and smiles when i find something funny so waay kudos
Thank you. I am glad my suffering could make you happy.

JonMcCunty

Aug 9, 2009
Municipal waste is gonna fuck you up! (The song at the end was by them, they are a thrash band from Richmond VA. On topic, I find myself oddly opposed to most of the opinions that Greg Tito has on this game, as I do on most of his reviews. I find it irritating the way he judges games like he is so much better than every developer or game designer. It's condescending and just really bothers me. On topic, this game looks like a lot of fun in a simple kind of way. Some games know what they are trying to be, and I could see that really working for it. I encourage any fans of good trash to look up municipal waste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7MXPMLHiYc <--- Why its so good