Review: Splinter Cell: Conviction

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Russ Pitts said:
Nomaic said:
The loss of several gameplay options from previous games and the overall watering down of the stealth elements is something I would ordinarily frown upon, especially given my love of such a great franchise.

But Ubisoft did something fantastic. They didn't just change the game because "it was time to do something new". This all ties into the story, and the story all funnels into Sam Fisher's character. My experience is somewhat limited, but Conviction's Sam may be the most realistic video game character I've had the privilege of controlling. You already have Ironside's fantastic pipes behind him, but Ubisoft crafted a compelling and intimate story for Sam along with some really stunning and believable body language. When you combine that with great pacing, a still-strong emphasis on stealth, more forgiving gunplay mechanics, and a storytelling methodology that blurs the lines between gameplay, cutscenes, and quicktime events, you get this.
Exactly. I was skeptical at first because I'm a long time fan of the series, and it actually kind of annoyed me they were tinkering with the formula to such an extent with Conviction.

But it works.

They took some major chances on the redesign and the implementation of the billboard objectives and stripping away of some of the series mainstays, etc. but it all plays very nicely into the evolution of the character. Plus, it just works.

To me it doesn't feel as if they tinkered with the game just for kicks, or to blindly try new things. They definitely had a direction in mind and went out on a limb to make it happen. I would respect that regardless, but when it works this well, it's a thing of beauty.
One other thing I forgot to mention are the new projected titles. First of all, it fulfills exactly what Maxime promised: a much more streamlined and seamless way of storytelling that doesn't clog the screen and catches the eye. It's a lovely piece of aesthetics solely for the fact that it is, in my opinion, and ingenious way of playing into Splinter Cell's mechanic of light and shadow.

But it really is seamless and I dare say artistic. I especially noticed it as I was walking into the main lobby for Third Echelon. This mechanic effortlessly pointed me in the right direction while offering an added layer of storytelling by projecting large text above the welcome desk that read: "Welcome Home".

Brilliant stuff.

Baradiel

Mar 4, 2009
Brilliant review, but a few things irked me:

1. Third Echelon is a secret branch of the NSA, not the CIA.

[MINOR SPOILER]

2. The president knows of the existence of Third Echelon, since she was considering shutting it down.

But apart from those, brilliant review. It's a complete departure from the Splinter Cell style, but I think it works.

Needs Spy vs Mercs though.

EDIT: And the end of the co-op campaign is a load of bull. I fucking HATE Kobin!

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
Penumbra and Splinter Cell to me, have always been the true successors to the Thief series, in terms of gameplay. its a shame about the drm really.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
This game was seriously badass. Really enjoyed it, it was so cinematic and fast paced, without the difficult and sometimes boring stealth sequences the previous games had.

-JB

/P.S Good review by the way

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
This was a great game, like you said, and like others have been saying, Third Echelon is NSA (more info @ the bottom of post). The controls are easy and immersive, with the only problem I had being me accidentally jumping through a window, rather than opening it like I intended, and alerting every nearby guard, but that's simply just being a bit off with my pointing. All in all, this game is everything it's made out to be, and everything you mentioned in your review.

All info from the books
Sam mentions that he can "count on two hands the amount of people who know about Third Echelon," and "on one hand the amount of people who know a Splinter Cell" (meaning know a name and the person behind it).
First Echelon was a 'typical' spy program of get person in, get documents/kill person/etc., get out. From what I can gather it was not heavy on tech (compared to 2nd and 3rd echelons). It was replaced by Second Echelon, which was basically spying from the office. It was completely focused on electronic information gathering with no fieldwork. The rapid growth and change in electonics let to "the NSA's first system wide crash." This led to more direct infomation gathering, thus, Third Echelon.

Jul 9, 2008
Whoa, seriously? I've been avoiding this game because it looked like it was destroying one of my favorite series. But it's actually good? I'll have to buy it when I get the funds.

Nibiru

Apr 5, 2010
I do not have the patience to read the full written review at the moment, but I am not really sure if I even want to after watching the video review...

Apparently, they removed most of the stealth elements, correct? Instead, they introduced these 'nifty' execution and shadow skills? Did they remove the difficulty of sneaking through a facility without killing anybody and being noticed? Is the stealth now based on killing everybody as fast as possible?! If the answer is 'yes' , I will not even rent it and just prey for another good stealth game to come out soon (Eidos, if you screw up Thief 4, I will sneak up on you and use my flame arrows on the oil beneath you!)

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Logic said:
This is my first Splinter Cell game and in fact my first foray into the stealth genre, but I still haven't been able to take the disc out of my Xbox since I rented it on Sunday. If I had known how amazing this game would be, I would have definitely bought it.
If you like Conviction you should get Pandora Tommmorow and Chaos theory.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Sonicron said:
Looks like fun.

Question: Since I only played the first two games, do I need to play the other installments before this one or is there a better/faster way to brush up on the backstory?
Just watch up to season 5 of 24 and you'll get the gist.

Great review and I agree totally on how they are never afraid to try something new. It's worth mentioning that the game has a terrorist hunt mode similar to rainbow 6 and a fantastic 2 player component.

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
Wow, this review actually pushed me over the top. I actually bought and enjoy the game. Something that I haven't said about a Splinter Cell game.....EVER

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I will agree with most of the review, the game is pretty freaking awesome. There are some down sides to it though. One thing that I didn't like is that even though there is a good collection of weapons, once you get the silenced scoped SMG, you really don't need to use any other gun. That thing was accurate, had a long range, and best of all, silent.
Another part that slightly disappointed me was the multiplayer is almost non-existent outside co-op. Don't get me wrong, all the co-op things are extremely entertaining to play (Except maybe Last Stand), though the only vs. Multiplayer I find is Face-off, which is a 1 vs 1 spy duel. I was hoping for the return of spies vs. Mercenaries.
In the end, the game was still good, though slightly easy. I've only played it on realistic, and that felt like Chaos Theory's normal difficultly.
Side note: Although not needed in the game, I did kind of miss the ability to split jump in tight hall ways.

beddo

Dec 12, 2007
I bought this on Friday and had completed it on Saturday in the hardest setting. I found it way too easy. While it is fun and exciting at times it has has a lot of repetition and some very dull sections.

To be honest the stealth in it is just stupid. It's like sneaking around in the world of the blind, your enemies don't see you when they reasonably would. Also, you're never vulnerable; when you're in shadows and do a take down you can easily get 4 mark and executes which makes you seem almost super powered.

The whole Bourne thing is totally there and it's great, an awesome agent versus these regular guys. Of course if you run out in the open you will die quickly but I just wish there was a new difficulty mode where the people are more alert.

It's a good game, it's just a bit short and a bit flawed in areas. I completed it in 2 sessions so it's definitely and entertaining title that keeps you coming back. It's just missing those final touches that would have made it great.