Review: The Path

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Ah, such a good game. I'm really happy that Tale of Tales is continuing with the themes they developed with The Graveyard and pushing the envelope of what a game can be. And kudos for not getting sucked into the rape or murder argument, you'd think people had never seen a metaphor in a game before.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Slycne said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
So, uh... what platform is this game for?
PC and with a port to Mac OS X coming shortly.
Cool beans. Kind of figured since there was the scene with the controls displayed in the video, but figured I'd ask since I thought I saw a Playstation-esque controller there, too.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, platform info would be good to add for Escapist reviews; sometimes I find myself having to search around for it like now.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Becareful it's a trap!

So about that wolves comment...were you talking about yourself Susan or the game?

(insert rimshot here)

That game still makes my skin crawl and I haven't even played The Path. Horror games and me don't mix well(left 4 dead loses its horror factor very quickly). Good to know it takes the subtle route and gives each girl their own "wolf" to have a conflict with. Of course I've always been a compared to a wolf so you will forgive me if I haven't shown my claws yet because those girls look delicious.

P.S.

I love making ponies into glue.

Feb 18, 2009
I like experiments, and this sounds like a good one. Certainly something to appeal to the "storytelling over mechanics" indie gamers (like I). Still, I´m a bit doubtful about that free wandering. It can be really frustrating in a long run. Have to give it a shot and then judge. This is something I´ll gladly try.

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
I can see what they were trying to do, but all I took away from The Path was the impression of condescension and self-importance. Sure, doing things without a stated or given goal is certainly not wrong, there's also no motivation to do so.

There's not much to see or do at all that would make you actually want to bother straying from the path, yet having it display proudly that you've "failed"? That's hardly goalless, especially since the product (I'm reluctant to call it a game) fails to give you any motivation to engage it.

Sure, saying I've failed for deciding not to resist "The Man" (presumably whatever stated that I shouldn't stray from the path) is part of the idea that you shouldn't simply do what you were told, but they've given me nothing in exchange. All I got was a boring (but pretty) forest to walk around in at a snail's pace. If I'm not supposed to do what I'm told, why am I following the Girl in White, and why does said girl force me back to the path if I decide to just stand around? Wasn't I supposed to be doing what I wanted?

The product contradicts itself repeatedly. It wants me to explore on my own, and yet sends an agent to point me towards whatever it thinks is important. It keeps telling me to do what I want, and yet claims I've failed if I do (in case I actually wanted to stick to the path). It all just strikes me as terribly one-sided. It tells me to use my "active imagination" and yet gives me little that piques my imagination beyond the pretty visuals (though I suppose that might be enough in some situations). It's like an artist that reacts badly when you tell him that you can't appreciate his latest piece, looking down his nose at you and saying "Well, I never expected you too, because it's not FOR you. Now get out of my gallery, you've failed."

Don't get me wrong, I like experimental games. The fact alone that The Path exist and that there are people willing to pay for it is a positive thing, but I just don't think it's very good. In a way, The Path couldn't manage to follow its own path.

ffoulksy

Mar 27, 2009
Now that *does* look good - anyone know if there's a UK supplier? (quick google and I couldn't see anything)

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Have just tried it and i like it.

EDIT: Ffoulksy (sp?) it is available over steam and as DL from their own site for a small fee.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
As someone that actually bought this game and played a fair bit, I have to say, if you really let yourself get involved into the game, and get sucked into the atmosphere, it can be one of the most horrific games you've ever played. I mean, it really did leave me shaken at points, and it's not like there's any scary parts, just horror. It took me a while to figure out exactly what I was supposed to do, but once I figured it out and just started walking around, it really started worming its way into my head. I have to say, hearing the music and those chains again in the video supplement was actually enough to make me a bit frightened, just from the memories of it.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Hm... now I want to play it even more. I talked to Xi about this just after he had played it, and it seems this is what I would call a Horror game. Anything else that tries seems more like a scare game in comparison. Now, I have played a couple of "Horror" games, like Resident Evil (the first and the remake, which were genuinely scary for me), Silent Hill and Condemned. And yes, they were scary and masterful. But did I feel much horror? No.

I have a feeling I will when I get around to play this. Of course, most of it will be left up to my imagination. And that thought, my friends, is what frightens me. Instead of being delivered what the developers feel is scary or what is generally accepted as scary, my own imagination will the largest factor in the experience. Like a book. I am having chills already.

The good kind.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
...As I've been telling yall for Months. I'm an Old Skool ToT fan, and my faith has been proven worth it yet agian.

Feb 18, 2009
xitel said:
As someone that actually bought this game and played a fair bit, I have to say, if you really let yourself get involved into the game, and get sucked into the atmosphere, it can be one of the most horrific games you've ever played. I mean, it really did leave me shaken at points, and it's not like there's any scary parts, just horror. It took me a while to figure out exactly what I was supposed to do, but once I figured it out and just started walking around, it really started worming its way into my head. I have to say, hearing the music and those chains again in the video supplement was actually enough to make me a bit frightened, just from the memories of it.
I´m sure this game requires a lot from the player. Nothing, not even the goal, is given, only hinted and whispered (that´s the impression I got). Exactly that may put some players off. I may not be the right person to say, but many today´s game seem a bit easy to handle and digest. Cinematic cut scenes and traditional plot development make games look more like movies and thus players become more like viewers than participants (a point made several times in different discussions here.) Maybe we as gamers are becoming too lazy to build our own experiences. This game at least seems to put more emphasis on active participation.

Don´t get me wrong now; I´m not against linear stories and cut scenes. Not every game has to be deep and artistic. Let us not forget about having simple fun (the source of fun is relative, of course). It´s just good to see something different for a change.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Incredible Bullshitting Man said:
xitel said:
I´m sure this game requires a lot from the player. Nothing, not even the goal, is given, only hinted and whispered (that´s the impression I got). Exactly that may put some players off. I may not be the right person to say, but many today´s game seem a bit easy to handle and digest. Cinematic cut scenes and traditional plot development make games look more like movies and thus players become more like viewers than participants (a point made several times in different discussions here.) Maybe we as gamers are becoming too lazy to build our own experiences. This game at least seems to put more emphasis on active participation.

Don´t get me wrong now; I´m not against linear stories and cut scenes. Not every game has to be deep and artistic. Let us not forget about having simple fun (the source of fun is relative, of course). It´s just good to see something different for a change.
That's the thing, I found that the game is less about having fun than any other game I've played, save Tale of Tales other experimental game, The Graveyard (I also recommend picking that up, if only the demo). It IS deep and artistic, but not by classical means. You build your own definition of what the game is, in a way, although you can get more backstory if you go to the game's website and research it. Just taking a glance at the ToT forums for the game, you can see that everyone has different interpretations of what the game is. That's the great thing about it, it's made in such a way that you have to try to not get anything out of it.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
xitel said:
xitel said:

That's the thing, I found that the game is less about having fun than any other game I've played, save Tale of Tales other experimental game, The Graveyard (I also recommend picking that up, if only the demo). It IS deep and artistic, but not by classical means. You build your own definition of what the game is, in a way, although you can get more backstory if you go to the game's website and research it. Just taking a glance at the ToT forums for the game, you can see that everyone has different interpretations of what the game is. That's the great thing about it, it's made in such a way that you have to try to not get anything out of it.
I agree. If you go into this game with the mindset that games usually ask of you, you will more than likely hate it. It's best if you think of the gameplay elements as coincidental and beside the point, rather than the actual focus of the game. It's a very difficult experience to define, and it will undoubtedly frustrate many people who try it.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
I agree. If you go into this game with the mindset that games usually ask of you, you will more than likely hate it. It's best if you think of the gameplay elements as coincidental and beside the point, rather than the actual focus of the game. It's a very difficult experience to define, and it will undoubtedly frustrate many people who try it.
Well, that's why whenever I talk to people about it, I tell them "This isn't a game, per se. It's a piece of art." If you can look at a painting and extrapolate meaning, then you'll appreciate The Path. On the other hand, if you go into it expecting even something like Resident Evil or Silent Hill, you'll be sorely disappointed. I mean, the only controls are Move and Run. There's no combat or anything like that, just interaction. It's a completely new experience, and it really redefines what we can call a game. This is definitely a great example of games as art, but at the same time, it's not really a game in the classical sense. There's no real way to win or lose, just experience it.

Feb 18, 2009
xitel said:
xitel said:
snap
In other words, the game encourages the player to take it as it is, without prejudice? Basically the game is a tabula rasa, in which the player through interaction, well, "paints" his/her gaming experience according to his/her personality. Different personalities make different interpretations. The use of Little Red Ridinghood further prevents players from making unnecessary suppositions concerning the story. Most of the audience already know the story of Red Ridinghood. In a way, this game plays with the idea that inherently games are empty, and only through players they have a meaning. A book is a book even if no one reads it (and thus interpret it), but it´s a meaningless book. [EDIT] What I mean is, if you just play a game, you miss much. It requires certain degree of active participation to truly experience a game. Many games just don´t leave that much room for interaction, because they tend to fill in the caps themselves.

When it comes to inducing the feeling of dread, most effective way, in my opinion, is to rely on imagination of the audience; to call out inner fears. Dark forest is a traditional and effective setting for all sorts of frightful events. It sets player´s mind into the right mood, but also leaves a lot room for uncertainty and uneasiness. The Path seems to be very emotional game.

Well, I may be over-interpreting this a little, but that´s OK, if you take it as a rant based on gut feeling. It´s an interesting game. I´m sure there´s much more to it than I´m even aware. The again, maybe not.

Jul 9, 2008
This sounds very interesting. I've been saving up to have my 360 repaired, but I'll drop the $10 for this game as soon as I can, possibly even before my 360 is back. I've never been this intrigued by a game before.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
xitel said:
xitel said:
snap
Snoop
In other words, the game encourages the player to take it as it is, without prejudice? Basically the game is a tabula rasa, in which the player through interaction, well, "paints" his/her gaming experience according to his/her personality. Different personalities make different interpretations. The use of Little Red Ridinghood further prevents players from making unnecessary suppositions concerning the story. Most of the audience already know the story of Red Ridinghood. In a way, this game plays with the idea that inherently games are empty, and only through players they have a meaning. A book is a book even if no one reads it (and thus interpret it), but it´s a meaningless book.

When it comes to inducing the feeling of dread, most effective way, in my opinion, is to rely on imagination of the audience; to call out inner fears. Dark forest is a traditional and effective setting for all sorts of frightful events. It sets player´s mind into the right mood, but also leaves a lot room for uncertainty and uneasiness. The Path seems to be very emotional game.

Well, I may be over-interpreting this a little, but that´s OK, if you take it as a rant based on gut feeling. It´s an interesting game. I´m sure there´s much more to it than I´m even aware. The again, maybe not.
Yes, a blank slate would be a great way to describe it. There's no dialogue, minimal text. You have to decide what happens for yourself. There's plenty of theories on what everything means, and Tale of Tales refuses to tell people whether they're right or wrong. For people like me and a couple other people I know that have played it, it brings about different emotions in everyone. For me, it brought up a recurring nightmare I've been having for a while, and in other people it brought up other emotions. However, the meaning of the game may be different for each person, but it is the reason for each, and it makes sense. It's horrifying for some, although I've heard other people call it beautiful, and others say it's just boring.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Sounds good, BUT Horror games aren't my thing... in fact, if the wolf is what I think it is, I definitely don't want to play the game.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Doug said:
Sounds good, BUT Horror games aren't my thing... in fact, if the wolf is what I think it is, I definitely don't want to play the game.
From what I saw the Wolf is what you make of him, theater of the mind. What you think he might be is probably more disturbing that anything they could try to show on the screen.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Slycne said:
Doug said:
From what I saw the Wolf is what you make of him, theater of the mind. What you think he might be is probably more disturbing that anything they could try to show on the screen.
Exactly. The wolf takes a different form for each girl, and each time it's up to you to decide what he represents and what he means to the player is incredibly varied. Everything in the game is up to your own interpretation, meaning that the wolf IS what you think it is, but that may not be what it is for me or any other person.

Soigieoto

Jan 15, 2009
This game looks very intriguing. I think i'll wait for the Mac port on it though.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Slycne said:
Doug said:
I deliberately left a lot out of the video, rather than spoil the game for anyone. It's definitely up to you to fill in a lot of the gaps yourself, but what happens after you encounter the wolf is where the particularly unsettling stuff takes place.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:
Slycne said:
xitel said:
Exactly. The wolf takes a different form for each girl, and each time it's up to you to decide what he represents and what he means to the player is incredibly varied. Everything in the game is up to your own interpretation, meaning that the wolf IS what you think it is, but that may not be what it is for me or any other person.
Then no, I don't want to play the game because...well...

to me, it seems as it the wolf is a rapist scumbag, judging from the video

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Slycne said:
Doug said:
I deliberately left a lot out of the video, rather than spoil the game for anyone. It's definitely up to you to fill in a lot of the gaps yourself, but what happens after you encounter the wolf is where the particularly unsettling stuff takes place.
I've actually found that even knowing what happens in certain areas, actually being a part of it and experiencing it is completely different. I mean, I had one of the wolves spoiled for me, but I still got a completely different understanding of what it represented. One thing I will say is that I refuse to tell anyone what my interpretations of the events are, or anyone else's for that matter.

Doug said:

Again, the wolf not only has a different manifestation for each girl, but what the interpretation of it is changes for each person. I will say, the wolf in the video is only one manifestation of it in the game, and only for that girl.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
xitel said:
Doug said:

Again, the wolf is not only has a different manifestation for each girl, but what the interpretation of it is changes for each person. I will say, the wolf in the video is only one manifestation of it in the game, and only for that girl.
Then I'm afraid I won't be playing this game as that is something so repulsive to me that it would drive me off fullstop. Even if there is a UK retailer.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Hmmm, this game looks very, very interesting - I'll have to check it out sometime. I love artsy, experimental stuff like this ^__^

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Tenmar said:
Becareful it's a trap!

So about that wolves comment...were you talking about yourself Susan or the game?

RIMSHOT [http://www.instantrimshot.com]

That game still makes my skin crawl and I haven't even played The Path. Horror games and me don't mix well(left 4 dead loses its horror factor very quickly). Good to know it takes the subtle route and gives each girl their own "wolf" to have a conflict with. Of course I've always been a compared to a wolf so you will forgive me if I haven't shown my claws yet because those girls look delicious.

P.S.

I love making ponies into glue.
Well, you said "insert rimshot here" so I couldn't resist.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ah, my old nemesis symbolism we meet again.

I'm an anylitical person so artistic stuff goes right over my head.

EDIT: fixed the spelling.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Ah, my old nemessis(sp) simbolism(sp) we meet again.

Symbolism said:
Dude, you are not my nemesis!
I've got you dead to rights, anyway, you post on the Homestar Runner wiki forums and everyone knows that stuff defies analysis. :D

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
GyroCaptain said:
Eric the Orange said:
Ah, my old nemessis(sp) simbolism(sp) we meet again.

Symbolism said:
Dude, you are not my nemesis!
I've got you dead to rights, anyway, you post on the Homestar Runner wiki forums and everyone knows that stuff defies analysis. :D
A: Thank you for helping with my spelling.

B: I never denied that I post other places. But I do think that humor can be analysed at least to the degree of, if you found it funny or not.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I guess It says something about my mind that as soon as Susan said "not all wolves have fur and claws" And I saw the girl sitting down next to that dude, I just kinda stared at the screen for a moment wide eyed and said "Oh FFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuu..."

But then, I guess that's the whole point of the game.

waggmd

Feb 12, 2009
Thanks Susan for this review without it I most likely would have never heard of this game. This style of horror appeals to me more than the shock horror used in most games and movies today.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
I guess It says something about my mind that as soon as Susan said "not all wolves have fur and claws" And I saw the girl sitting down next to that dude, I just kinda stared at the screen for a moment wide eyed and said "Oh FFFFFFFFFFFFuuuuu..."

But then, I guess that's the whole point of the game.
Yep, that is exactly the point of it.
Whatever your own mind makes up is more scary than anything that can be shown. Old horror stories (Poe and Lovecraft to a degree) uses this to great effect and now at long last a computer game as well.

EDIT: Yes, Thanks Susan. I would not have discovered this game if it wasn't for this review.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hmm, this sounds very interesting. Especially considering how dark the old tales really were before Disney got their hands on them. ;-)

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
yes, they were not fun or light stories. They were educational stories in the sense that they told children what not to do and that it was dangerous to not obey.
Most of the old "fairy"tales has a lot of death and violence in them, most are actually horror stories.
Read the original Little Mermaid and compare it to Disneys version to se what I mean (and that is a new fairytale, Little Red Ridinghood is much old as is most of the stories collected by the brothers Grimm).

Satki

Dec 29, 2007
Bought it based off this review, only played for about 10 minutes but I think its great so far, very atmospheric, reminds me a bit of Yahtzee's "trilby's notes" game if anyones played that.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
It seems like there's this whole movement going on in the indie development scene, centered on using minimalist design (ie Braid = basic platforming) to comment on the form.
Or is that just me?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Hmm...not sure what to make of this game. Personally, I think the game is getting off a poor control set and the lack of a map because its an art game. Ok, it has a map that pops up every hundred metres or so. But its barely up for a second before it vanishes again. I found an area I was looking for, noticed a collectable out of the area a few metres, before trying to return. The return took me an hour before I found it again.

Feb 13, 2008
Doug said:
Then I'm afraid I won't be playing this game as that is something so repulsive to me that it would drive me off fullstop. Even if there is a UK retailer.
The original Red Riding Hood is far worse.

And there's no real graphics, just an implication.

If you've had fun and really don't want to meet the wolf, you don't have to. A lot of people won't want to finish it "properly", and there's nothing lost from just living the memories and going to grannys. Some might say you even gain from it.

Feb 18, 2009
Doug said:
Hmm...not sure what to make of this game. Personally, I think the game is getting off a poor control set and the lack of a map because its an art game. Ok, it has a map that pops up every hundred metres or so. But its barely up for a second before it vanishes again. I found an area I was looking for, noticed a collectable out of the area a few metres, before trying to return. The return took me an hour before I found it again.
Being an "art game" hardly is an excuse. Rather, it should pose a different standard of critique. Elements like controls and map (first thing you do, when you embark on a journey without aim, you burn the map, right) seem to be more like a necessary evil in an art game than a core part of the gameplay, thus developers tend to disregard them, or at least give them very little attention.

I´m not saying you´re wrong or mistaken, heaven forbid. I was just wondering, how evaluating an art game differs (or should differ) from evaluating, for example, a mainstream game. Since art games usually aren´t focused on controls or even graphics, should these things be overlooked in a review? Or are said elements so essential, that a video game isn´t a game, if it doesn´t have proper controls and graphics? If I understood correctly, The Path kinda questions the traditional concept of video game. How do you then criticize it?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:
Being an "art game" hardly is an excuse. Rather, it should pose a different standard of critique. Elements like controls and map seem to be more like a necessary evil in an art game than a core part of gameplay, thus developers tend to disregard them, or at least give them very little attention.

I´m not saying you´re wrong or mistaken, heaven forbid. I was just wondering, how evaluating an art game differs (or should differ) from evaluating, for example, a mainstream game. Since art games usually aren´t focused on controls or even graphics, should these things be overlooked in a review? Or are said elements so essential, that a video game isn´t a game, if it doesn´t have proper controls and graphics? If I understood correctly, The Path kinda questions the traditional concept of video game. How do you then criticize it?
True, but I work from the point of view that if a game is sacrificing fun for artistic merits, something is wrong with the game. To be honest, if they just made the map a tad bolder and keep it on screen for a few seconds more, it'd work nicely.

As for the controls, there is no excuse for the character getting stuck on world geometry.

To be honest, there is good stuff here, but it doesn't really 'grip' me to be honest, and I don't really want to discuss the stuff on their forums as they seem eager to link everything to the worse, most unpleasant possible interpretations they can. In a normal game, the geometry thing and the map thing probably wouldn't bother me as much, but in a normal game there are many of other elements that distract or compensate for the lack I perceive.

Feb 18, 2009
Doug said:
True, but I work from the point of view that if a game is sacrificing fun for artistic merits, something is wrong with the game. To be honest, if they just made the map a tad bolder and keep it on screen for a few seconds more, it'd work nicely.

As for the controls, there is no excuse for the character getting stuck on world geometry.

To be honest, there is good stuff here, but it doesn't really 'grip' me to be honest, and I don't really want to discuss the stuff on their forums as they seem eager to link everything to the worse, most unpleasant possible interpretations they can. In a normal game, the geometry thing and the map thing probably wouldn't bother me as much, but in a normal game there are many of other elements that distract or compensate for the lack I perceive.
Yeah, it´s true that getting stuck on world geometry really is a crippling flaw, but the question is, can the core audience tolerate it, if the game otherwise manages to offer them a decent "artistic" gaming experience. Again, I personally don´t know, how bad a flaw it is. Secondly, whether or not the blood of fun has been shed for the sake of artistic merits, is a matter of opinion, I presume. Apparently many have enjoyed playing The Path, so it´s not completely void of fun. Well, at least not to everyone. Anyway, if the game doesn´t grip you like it does the other guy, that´s fine. I have no objection, to anything, ever.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:

Yeah, it´s true that getting stuck on world geometry really is a crippling flaw, but the question is, can the core audience tolerate it, if the game otherwise manages to offer them a decent "artistic" gaming experience. Again, I personally don´t know, how bad a flaw it is. Secondly, whether or not the blood of fun has been shed for the sake of artistic merits, is a matter of opinion, I presume. Apparently many have enjoyed playing The Path, so it´s not completely void of fun. Well, at least not to everyone. Anyway, if the game doesn´t grip you like it does the other guy, that´s fine. I have no objection, to anything, ever.
Oh, I wasn't implying anything was other than my own personal opinion - I just hate getting lost and wondering around the forest without sign of anything interesting for an hour or so. Also...well, the plot just has me confused at the moment. Maybe it'll all make sense at the end, although apparently according to the 'scoring system' I've missed quite a few things already.

Feb 18, 2009
Don´t worry; I read the "I work from the point of view" part. Oh, and I rather enjoy wandering around without purpose, so we both work from quite different points of view. That is fine, too.

EDIT: Well, the quote wasn´t really needed.

May 7, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
Hmmm, this game looks very, very interesting - I'll have to check it out sometime. I love artsy, experimental stuff like this ^__^
i have to say its great that people are still making clever and atmospheric games like this.I don't play many PC games but i will too be looking out for this....Hope it comes to the UK =[

Disembodied_Dave

The Could-Have-Been-King
Feb 5, 2009
I just played the first chapter. It was really interesting. I just happened to wander upon the wolf while just exploring the forest (and trying to go the opposite direction the girl in white was going). I'm really like it so far though.

It seems to be one of those games/stories where you have to play it over and over again to really figure out what's going on.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Doug said:
Doug said:

Oh, I wasn't implying anything was other than my own personal opinion - I just hate getting lost and wondering around the forest without sign of anything interesting for an hour or so. Also...well, the plot just has me confused at the moment. Maybe it'll all make sense at the end, although apparently according to the 'scoring system' I've missed quite a few things already.
There is a solution, but this is a fairly big spoiler, so read at your own peril.

Watch the border around your screen. The more times you visit grandma's house, the more detailed clues the border will provide. Sometimes it'll be a picture of what's nearby, other times, just a swirl that'll indicate there's something in that direction. Just a few trips to grandma's, either directly via the path or otherwise, will help you a great deal in finding your way.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
sorry user name taken. said:
ThaBenMan said:
i have to say its great that people are still making clever and atmospheric games like this.I don't play many PC games but i will too be looking out for this....Hope it comes to the UK =[
Available on Steam, in the UK.

May 7, 2008
Doug said:
ThaBenMan said:
i think its time to get steam back >]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Doug said:
Doug said:

There is a solution, but this is a fairly big spoiler, so read at your own peril.

Watch the border around your screen. The more times you visit grandma's house, the more detailed clues the border will provide. Sometimes it'll be a picture of what's nearby, other times, just a swirl that'll indicate there's something in that direction. Just a few trips to grandma's, either directly via the path or otherwise, will help you a great deal in finding your way.
I won't call that a spoiler myself, to be honest.

Anyway...
I wouldn't call that a solution, given the locations it gives are random and often not what I was looking for. Further, they only ever have 1 or 2 locations listed and once I saw 3.
On the girl in white 'epilogue' I saw the locations were then listed but by that point I just didn't want to goto those damn locations again for the 100th time.
For instance, I was looking for the spider web thing at one point - I'd been there before, and knew it was somewhere in the top right of the map. But when I went looking for it, I was always going back and forth between to other locations because of the lack of a minimap command, or compass, or something other than an occasional glimpse of a map. I eventually looked at a forum today, and found out the random white blurs at the edges of the screen were where the girl in white was, but frankly she's no help. She never takes you to the locations you're after, and often brings you too the wolf too soon. Frankly, I feel the game is abit broken, as any game that forces the player to be in a constant state of confusion about where they even are in a clearly limited environment isn't doing its job properly.

Maybe its because of the 'training' most games force on you; that odd behaviour == a bug or flaw, that makes me not draw these connections, but to be honest I feel as if the confused wondering in an attempt to pad out the game. For example, after about the 5th girl I was told 'you've found the flower field', which deeply annoyed me as I'd found that location on the first girl, and hence felt like the game was rewarding me for grinding out exploration of the same stuff over and over, rather than just exploring.1

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:
ThaBenMan said:
Well, its only £7, although I felt disappointed with the game myself.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Pfff, they walk too slowly.
Plus i play games to relax, so i don't like deep thinking for them.

May 7, 2008
Doug said:
Doug said:
ThaBenMan said:
Well, its only £7, although I felt disappointed with the game myself.
not your type of though

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I'm definitely interested. I loved the plot of Shadow of the Colossus, and I like the idea of horror that implies rather than chainsaws your face off (for the bazillionth time). Assuming I own the system this game is on, I'll probably get it.

Also, this game reminds me A LOT of Jin-Roh: Wolf Brigade. To this day, certain scenes in Jin-Roh affect me emotionally (scare, terrify, shock me) like very few movie moments do. Well, and there is the whole Little Red Riding Hood theme played up for horror in both that movie and this game, apparently. You know, the original version of that story was pretty scary and violent.

Feb 13, 2008
Most of the original fairy tales are hideously brutal. Snow White is about necrophilia, Sleeping Beauty is about rape, Cinderella is about mutilation; AFAICR, Red Riding Hood has all those and cannibalism.

Kirosilence

Nov 28, 2007
It's games like this that make me love the indie game market so much..

It gave me a wicked case of the heebie jeebies, and as much as I wanted to at times, I couldn't put it down.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Slycne said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
So, uh... what platform is this game for?
PC and with a port to Mac OS X coming shortly.
Cool beans. Kind of figured since there was the scene with the controls displayed in the video, but figured I'd ask since I thought I saw a Playstation-esque controller there, too.
Nice, I'll be able to play this baby.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I'm not usually a fan of horror games, but this really intrigues me and I'm not sure why. Considering the price tag, it'd be silly not to give it a go...

Slug Nut

Feb 11, 2009
When I got to the end of the video supplement review, I was just "..." and had my mouth gaping open. I don't know if I got the balls to play this, but at the same time I want to support this brand of gaming. ARG! So creepy, and yet so powerful to make me feel this way just from brief footage of the game!

theSchlub

Mar 24, 2009
I'm with you, slug nut. I've been wanting to get into horror games for a while. I had a good run with RE4, but at the same time this looks like it's something that might keep me up for a week straight with the heebie-jeebies. The game looks so spooky and creepy and the undertones are downright unsettling, but something inside of me keeps telling me to get this game, that I'll grow a little for it. I dunno... from what I understand, in this game "wolf" doesn't mean the creature with fangs and fur and claws, so much as a sexual predator. =(

...CREEPY!

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
After playing and finishing the game, I don't know if I'd call it a horror game, more of a "unnerving" or "creepy" game. It certainly is interesting, if not incredibly SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW experience, and those singing snippets are stuck in my head. I did manage to collect all the items and all the flowers, whoo! ARGH, but the ending is driving me crazy! I know all this "it's a blank slate game" and "You're supposed to take it as you will", but dang it, I feel like I need more to go on!

Like are the all girls maybe not real, but symbolic for something? Was the girl in white the wolf all along? What is Grandma's place in all this? I find it funny that the most literal version of Little Red Riding Hood (Robin, the youngest) had the wolf that freaked me out the longest. I'm just edging around that graveyard thinking, "Oh crap, it's looking at me. Don't come over here!"

So confusing... Can't say if I liked the game or not. I suppose I did, since I'm still intrigued by the whole premise. I must not be artsy or smart enough to get everything.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
So, much as I hate to necro a thread, I figure it's not that long ago, and this is extremely relevant.

http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/2009/06/07/the-path-prologue-a-new-chapter-free/

Tale of Tales, the people that made The Path, have released a demo version that isn't just a snippet of the game. It's a separate chapter altogether, so that people who already own The Path can experience it as well. I know this sounds like advertising, but I really do support this game because of the contributions it's made to the idea of games as an art form, and now that they've made a demo version for people to try, I'm hoping to spread the awareness of it even more.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I bought the game based on this review.

The sound track is unbearable. Unless there is an option to turn of the music, I cannot play this game.

-$10.

Keswick Gallagher

Jul 2, 2009
I saw the video and Got INTENSELY interested it sounds like Every thing I think a Horror game should be and Reminds me of an old style game (I'm not some one who highly enjoys good graphics)

as soon as I have 10 dollars to spare I'm purchasing this game

slaithe

Aug 9, 2009
Got it as part of a Steam weekend deal package.

I enjoy THINKING about The Path.
I'm not so sure I enjoy actually PLAYING it.

My further thoughts in a Steam forums post.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934267

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
ffoulksy said:
Now that *does* look good - anyone know if there's a UK supplier? (quick google and I couldn't see anything)
I hope so. This game sounds like the kind of horror game that's just been begging to come out. Add some more subtle mindfucks in there, and I'll be glad to call it Silent Hill's evil little sister.

I'm wondering if it's downloadable actually....

EDIT: Just checked, my computer can't hack it :( actually quite gutted about that....

Willwoms

Mar 17, 2009
slaithe said:
Got it as part of a Steam weekend deal package.

I enjoy THINKING about The Path.
I'm not so sure I enjoy actually PLAYING it.

My further thoughts in a Steam forums post.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934267
Way to ressurect a 2 month old thread.

As a forward note check the date of the last post please.

Kind Regards
Will

P.S I've noticed alot of other thread necromancy going on lately. Just now i looked at a 3-4 month old thread about halo being ressurected.

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Most of the original fairy tales are hideously brutal. Snow White is about necrophilia, Sleeping Beauty is about rape, Cinderella is about mutilation; AFAICR, Red Riding Hood has all those and cannibalism.
Where in Sleeping Beauty was there rape?

Feb 13, 2008
Wounded Melody said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Where in Sleeping Beauty was there rape?
It wasn't a kiss she was wakened by, but something else...

Think of that how you may.

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Nice to see a game which avoids mainsteam ideals. $10 isn't bad either, but...something isn't right, about this game for me. It's like when I played resi 5 for the first time. I had gotten so used to running and shooting it felt odd, but I perserved because I thought it would be another resi 4 (that it ain't). This looks odd because I'm used to having clear goals and because it's a game which'll challenge the mind, rather then the trigger finger. I'll try it, but I doubt it'll be for awhile, but I'm looking forward to it.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Willwoms said:
P.S I've noticed alot of other thread necromancy going on lately. Just now i looked at a 3-4 month old thread about halo being ressurected.
Everyone keeps saying "use the search bar". Well, what did you expect to happen when something someone wants to talk about has already been covered in a (relatively) recent thread?

On-topic, I've played all the way through The Path with all seven girls. There's a lot to think about in the game, but- aside from seeing what each girl has to say about her associated items or places- there's not a whole lot to go back and DO. Some of the game mechanics- like the girls slowing to a painfully leisure walking speed in certain areas- frustrate the desire to have a second look at everything.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
Sure this game is scary, but there is nothing to it. I dislike all the praise this "game" is getting for atmosphere and atmosphere ALONE.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Quite glad this has been recently dug up, because I just bought the game this past evening (I know, only four and a half months after my post at the top of the page!) and... well, I don't quite know what to make of it. That's a good thing, in this case.

I wouldn't necessarily describe it as 'fun', but I suspect that was deliberate given the experimental tag. It's enjoyable though, probably because I'm one of those people that likes to explore and think about stuff, so in that respect it's right up my street. The styling is nice, the atmosphere is great and I like the music - it's by Jarboe so that's not a massive surprise, to be fair.

I like what that fella up the page said in the Steam forum topic:

A game for the art appreciator, maybe.

Not really art for the gamer.
The only difference is that I see it as a good thing. I always like to see something a bit different or thought-provoking, and The Path is certainly both of those things. I can actually see myself playing it over to get all the things I'm missing this time around, so I'm considering it well worth the £6.29 it cost me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I didnt see much horror in this game so I showed it to my english teacher who can find the poetic value of a can of beets(we actually did that) and she was practically in tears the next day.
Im guessing that meens its good, I didnt like it that much though.
s'all right, but its no silent hill

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
I don't think the ending of the video was a good idea. The sitting down on the bench and wolf comment gave quite a bit away. Still, I would like to check it out now, and yes Homo homini lupus. -Titus Plautus.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Such a shame that this is a PC only game. Being on of the pretentious games-are-art types simply hearing about the game's significance made it a necessity, but my computer can barely process the 1st Diablo without chewing its own hard-drive up in a blistering rage of overheating pain. It's a shame too; I'm not exactly going to buy a new computer simply for this; though it does sound enticing. I did try the demo, and I could feel my computer heaving under the stress. Wait, don't Microsoft have a home console? That behemoth sitting in my room? Can't anybody see the logic in releasing it on Xbox Live?