Robin's Arkham City Look Inspired By Cage Fighters

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
I'm not a huge fan of Robin; in my opinion, Batman should always work alone, and having a teenage sidekick just goes against the badass aura that surrounds him. Not to mention how it always tends to create homoerotic subtext...

However, this may just be enough for me to be able to tolerate him. Rocksteady has done the impossible: made Robin a badass.

lobster1077

Feb 7, 2011
WizardArtist said:
lobster1077 said:
WizardArtist said:
I like it, but I'm wondering which Robin is depicted. Also the cape is a little short and the staff should be longer and collapsible.
Ladies and gentlemen, put your hands together and provide a rapturous applause for the one, The only, the great Captain Nitpick. =D
Sorry about that, I am being very picky. I just figured all capes were supposed to be long, and that a longer collapsible staff would have better reach and portability.
Even with my criticism I still think he looks really cool.
Just kidding, actually now that you mention it that cape looks like it was designed for use by a midget. =D

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
vansau said:
Arkham City is due out October 18th. Robin will be <a href=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=batman+arkham+city&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960>exclusive to pre-orders of the game that are sold at Best Buy stores.
Sigh. Seriously. We're still doing this shit?

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
I like the idea of the hood kind of looking like a robin's head. Now if only the cowl came to a point, like a beak (or like Raven's hood).

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Zing said:
vansau said:
Arkham City is due out October 18th. Robin will be <a href=http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=batman+arkham+city&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960>exclusive to pre-orders of the game that are sold at Best Buy stores.
Sigh. Seriously. We're still doing this shit?
Yup. I despise pre-order exclusives. GameStop in particular drives me nuts.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
It's tempting to fear the dark-and-gritty remake, but honestly, if ever there was a character that NEEDED that sort of makeover to not seem out of place in a contemporary setting, it's Robin. I like the look. It keeps the iconic imagery without looking silly, and that's not an easy task.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Valagetti said:
As if I haven't contributed to this forum enough, the length of your cape measures how badass you are! Batman has a cape that most likely doubles a Gazebo, Supermans can be re-used a persian rug. While Robins can be re-disposed as a tea towel.
They did this on purpose, so to not make him too badass. But he has a hood, ahhh I can't make a joke out of that.
I feel obliged to add that Aquaman doesn't even have a cape.

Also making Robin bald, maybe it's just the culture of skinheads in the UK, but thats a pretty weird major change, and I don't know if I would like it.

I think the bowstaff is pretty cool though. I hope they make him talk like robin from the Shat-bat era. "Holy petunias Batman!"

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Archemetis said:
If I had to choose a Robin for comparison, I'd say this reminds me more of Jason Todd than any of the others.

Saying that, I'll have to wait until the game is out to see if this one is at all murderous or uses excessive force like Jason Todd.
When I first saw that Catwoman would be in Arkham City, next I thought it would be awesome to have a playable Red Hood as a villain / anti villain character. If not him Deathstroke would be perfect as a villain since he's basically the complete polar opposite of Batman in my eyes.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Xanadu84 said:
It's tempting to fear the dark-and-gritty remake, but honestly, if ever there was a character that NEEDED that sort of makeover to not seem out of place in a contemporary setting, it's Robin. I like the look. It keeps the iconic imagery without looking silly, and that's not an easy task.
Have you actually read anything with the modern Robins in them, the ones in a contemporary setting in which they aren't out of place (or at least no more out of place than any other DCU character)?

Valagetti said:
As if I haven't contributed to this forum enough, the length of your cape measures how badass you are! Batman has a cape that most likely doubles a Gazebo, Supermans can be re-used a persian rug. While Robins can be re-disposed as a tea towel.
They did this on purpose, so to not make him too badass. But he has a hood, ahhh I can't make a joke out of that.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Ren3004 said:
Looks pretty good, and the hood looks like it would hide his identity better than that little mask.
I actually beg to differ. Someone like Ezio from AC can get away with ti realistically because he's not supposed to be an all-out melee fighter. he's stealthy and smooth. And even though he jumps across rooftops and such, he is supposed to be something next to invisible. So if his hood slips down/back due to an acrobatic, well, first you gotta find him in order to prove it's Ezio.

Robin, on the other hand, is a fighter. He goes around kicking ass and taking names. His acrobatics do not go with a loose hood that's supposed to conceal his identity. Unless he's wearing a mask underneath (And I think he's not), someone is bound to see his face eventually. Yeah, he could probably knock those guys out. But hey, they gotta come back to their senses one day.

In order for him to wear a loose hood AND keep his identity conceal, it would mean he's more badass than Batman himself. And that's just not possible.

Btw, I love the design. But I don't think it's convenient. But we'll see.

Blue-Blur

Jun 30, 2011
Robin looks great, I like the short cape look and such, it's very 'I'm a rebel with a unique fashion sense, alright.' Where do these guys like Robin get their clothes made? Maybe he's a part time clothes maker.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Beautiful End said:
Robin, on the other hand, is a fighter. He goes around kicking ass and taking names. His acrobatics do not go with a loose hood that's supposed to conceal his identity. Unless he's wearing a mask underneath (And I think he's not), someone is bound to see his face eventually. Yeah, he could probably knock those guys out. But hey, they gotta come back to their senses one day.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL, inspired by cage fighters. Why not. I mean, you already gave him the anonymous bad ass everyguy with a harsh attitude look. I want to see how he plays, but I will not be purchasing anything at all at Best Buy, for they are not.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
GiantRaven said:
Xanadu84 said:
Have you actually read anything with the modern Robins in them, the ones in a contemporary setting in which they aren't out of place (or at least no more out of place than any other DCU character)?
Nope. I havn't. I'm sure it exists, but the image of Robin most common in the social consciousness is one that could stand a dark and gritty interpretation. If that already exists, that just makes it easier to do.