Robocop Remake Trailer Hits the Streets

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Come on guys, everyone knows Robocop was a Jesus allegory, he should have been shotgun crucified, not car bombed! This movie better end with him walking on water before delivering sweet, sweet justice.

Also he looks better in grey.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
Arslan Aladeen said:
"I'd forgotten that a Robocop remake is in the works," and I have a feeling about a month after this comes out, you (along with the rest of us) will have forgotten it again.
Agreed...and I kinda object to the use of the word 'finally' in the description.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
AxelxGabriel said:
Yet what really turned me off in this trailer was the whole "Make his armor all black" idea. That reeeeeeally comes off like some desperate idea just to look more "marketable".
I thought that was meant to be the point. That in the film they're trying to make him marketable. They want to make someone americans can get behind so he needs to be marketable. Could just be an excuse for actual marketing outside the film but I'm kinda hoping it stays in the film and that they make the film into some sort of deconstruction of reboots or something like that but I'm probably being incredibly optimistic and probably sound rather pretentious.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I reserve my judgement until I see the movie
But Robocop is one of my favorite movies
I'd really don't want then to screw up.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
I liked the trailer, but as everyone else said, ditch the black armor, Robocop is grey.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Anyone else catch the line "America needs a symbol it can get behind"? That killed my interest, but not for the reason you'd think. RoboCop was about a cop turned cyborg who get his revenge on those who took away his life, that one line sets up the remake as a Superhero movie. RoboCop isn't a superhero movie.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
I am not impressed at all.

Hell he doesn't even move like Robocop, its just a dude in a suit.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Looks okay, but I have a few issues.

1: The soundtrack. Basil Poledouris made a fantastic soundtrack for the original, and it doesn't seem like the remake's is going to come anywhere close.
2. The look. I'm not a fan of pained-black Robocop or the red visor-eye. Silver looked awesome.

That said, I'm leery of this one, but I still hope it'll be good (even though it won't hold up next to the original). Also the revamped ED-209 looked awesome.

Haakmed

Oct 29, 2010
Not sure if I can be as excited about this as I am the new Riddick movie tomorrow....

Also this needs to have the original theme song or I may have to be upset.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Yeah, based on this it might be all right.

But the original RoboCop did a tremendous job of suggesting not that some system was screwed up or the bureaucracy was corrupt or the government was wrecked but that nearly everything in the world was in some way rotten, the people just trying to do their jobs honestly few, far between, and largely victimized by their circumstances. It was both impressive and kind of emotionally crushing.

I don't get that impression from the trailer. I think there will be clear villains, a far more black-and-white view of the world, and an attempt to suggest that by the end the hero has made a big difference in the grand scheme of things. And that's okay; hell, sometimes I go to movies to see exactly that. But in a very real way, it's all the trimmings of RoboCop without any of the guts.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
No humorous side, everything seems monochromic. The scene that's blue is all blue. All the other scenes are dark grey or bright grey. Notice all the rapid cutaways? May be Bay-style ADD.

In other words, I'm going to go ahead and predict a dreadful safe movie that brings nothing new to its story or society but will make money because of the marketing blitz.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Fucking hell. I still can't believe they can just remake whatever and everyone will just eat it up, and it always looks bland as hell and unfaithful to the original. Even if by some miracle they do set the right tone, you can bet your ass it will be filled with today's terrible juvenile humour.

I don't believe it can get any worse than this. This is entertainment hell we're in right now people.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Okay, that looked better than I expected. Then again, I expected very little.

Didn't like the black version, but it looks like it might not be his full-time look. Honestly, there wasn't a lot that really stood out other than noting that this has some pretty big name actors in it. Which is probably not the best endorsement.

Robocop has names you recognize in it.
Yeah, not a strong selling point. Maybe they'll have something decent to show us later.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Ugh...it looks like Another Summer Sci-Fi Action Film.

Truthfully, I did actually like the re-design while it was grey. Would be funny at the end when everything's happy and great (because it's going to be PG-13 and that's how those HAVE to be), he'd come in with his armor colored grey and someone's like, "Hey...what happened to your..." and he'd say "Black's not my color." That'd be awesome. Also, if you'd have the ED scene with stairs, but instead of being defeated by stairs he'd have jump jets for ironical sake...er...wait, no no, someone already did that.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
NOPE!!!!!

That looks freaking terrible.
Makes me think of that crappy 90's tv show Super force.
Robocop even looks to have special motorcycle like on that show.

sigh.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AxelxGabriel said:
Yet what really turned me off in this trailer was the whole "Make his armor all black" idea. That reeeeeeally comes off like some desperate idea just to look more "marketable".
I read ages ago that they were keeping the satire of the original, that one of the things was that Murphy would go through several revisions as a spin on modern marketing.

The "make his armour black" thing is about the only thing in the trailer that gives me hope for this movie because maybe, just maybe, those early "spoilers" were right. This video is completely meh, with what looks like a perfunctory plot and CGI that makes me long for practical effects.

But maybe, just maybe, they're actually going to spoof the modern trends in hardware and electronics.

Shaun Chang-Time

Aug 7, 2011
.....whats with all these remakes of classic movies??? i dont see the need for it really no point remaking something if it was really good

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Hmmm, getting a Dredd vib, which is a good thing. Will keep an eye on you sir, you have raised my eye brow with interest.