RPG game for noob girlfriend

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Like most people said: Knights of the Old Republic, Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and Fable: The Lost Chapters.
Anything easy, it has to be a game that can hold your hand, but still let you go at some points.

I have a friend (female) who played The Bard's Tale and loves it. The game is like a parody of fantasy games and the gameplay is quite simple.

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
Don't let her play dragon age. I made that mistake and now I'm not allowed near the main PC when she's around.

She wont stop playing...

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Throw BioWare RPGs at her until she loves games, Mass Effect is a good way to get her into both RPGs and Shooters. Before you know it she will be playing Team Fortress, Modern Warfare and pwning you at your favourite games

Udyrfrykte

Jun 16, 2008
Hiphophippo said:
It's telling of the community that nobody seems to think this girl can choose games for herself.
Well, she wanted me to chose. If that's what you meant?
Of course, if she doesn't like the game she will just drop it. This is thread is just for suggestions. I don't expect escapist forum members to bring out their latex and whips and come visit my gf and force her into doing anything. I prefer doing that part myself

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
I'm depressed no one seems to have ever heard of this game, or else it would probably make up a good percentage of the games suggested, but Nox is probably one of the best older RPGs I've ever played. It's 2D, but it's the most vibrant and beautiful 2D I think you will ever see in a RPG. The music is nothing short of awesome and EVER person you talk to in the game is voice-acted. Gameplay and story is really fun too. Fantasy setting, but not
Tolkien-Esq fantasy. It might be hard to find, but it's well worth it.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/nox/index.html

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Udyrfrykte said:
Hiphophippo said:
It's telling of the community that nobody seems to think this girl can choose games for herself.
Well, she wanted me to chose. If that's what you meant?
Of course, if she doesn't like the game she will just drop it. This is thread is just for suggestions. I don't expect escapist forum members to bring out their latex and whips and come visit my gf and force her into doing anything. I prefer doing that part myself
It's not hard. Show her respect by showing her several games and briefly explaining each and letting her choose.

Ironwampa

Dec 7, 2009
Diablo 2 may be a good game for someone trying out the RPG genre. It's simple, fun, has low system requirements, and the multiplayer should allow you to help when your girlfriend has a hard time.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I was going to suggest Pokemon simply because most gamers played those games as kids but for PC I have no idea.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
It's a little ironic that the hardcore/casual divide has grown to the point where it's really hard to find a game with crossover appeal. Hell, even among the hardcore there is a lot of steep-learning-curve stuff that scares away people new to them.

Case in point: My ex-wife is a Blizzard fangirl. Her first game was Starcraft, she plays WoW, she plays WC3 on Battle.net, but she is absolutely clueless in any other genre. She knew Rome: Total War was (and is) my favorite game of all-time, so she asked to borrow my copy of it so she could install and play it. I showed her the basic game mechanics and explained the battle screen...and she had Gauls at the gates of Rome within ten turns. Which would've been great if she were playing as Gaul, but she was playing as the Julii!

Also, her lifetime record against me in Rise of Nations was 0-43 (and why didn't I let her win? Because she was the kind of girl who'd rather lose 43 times in a row than know when her man was holding back!)

Edit: So what's my point? It's that getting a non-gamer into gaming is harder than you think, and it might be impossible. Hope you've got a lot of other stuff in common with this girl or your entire relationship might be founded on flawed principles (and trust me, I know where that leads, having ended up married to a girl who had only tangential interests in common with mine---but had stonking great tits and a high sex drive, in case you wondered how it all came together.)

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
As someone suggested, Dreamfall is a nice game. Perhaps not much RPG though.