Rumor: Bethesda Making Direct Sequel to Oblivion

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
New engine new engine new engine oh please god let it have a new engine...

I hope they set it somewhere else. I've already explored Cyrodiil. Black Marsh seems to be the general consensus here, but I personally am hoping for a waltz through the Summerset Isles.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
Logan Westbrook said:
FOOL!
It's spelled "Cyrodiil".

/Fanboy rage

OT: Man, that's awesome.
(And the Dragon Lord is obviously the player, since he/she became the king at the end of the main quest.
WRONG!!
Your character did NOT become the king at then end. He/she was labelled as the "Champion of Cyrodiil" and got some sweet looking dragon armour from the Imperial Council, but never does it say that he/she inherits the empire.

Also the "Dragon Lord" is clearly referring to Akatosh, the head of the Nine Divine, the creator of the world.
Cereally, Did you even play the game?

/smug fanboi :p

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
If it a significant improvement, I'll consider it. If its more of the same, then no buy.

Not that the first Oblivion wasn't awesome; I just need something a little different to spend 200 hours on.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Mandal0re said:
GothmogII said:
Yay for more Elder Scrolls...buy why a direct sequel to Oblivion? It's not like the story was particularly compelling, and there really isn't a whole lot I can see them doing with the setting of Cyrodil itself.

Why do I get the feeling this is merely a money saving exercise, after all, why design completely new content when you've already got the area mapped out and wont need to change the look. Just move some caves around, update the textures a bit, maybe add some new weapons and character models and bam, new game. Yay -_-
Isnt that how sequels are made these days? If TESV is set in Cyrodiil i'm gonna shit man. Personally really hoping for the summerset isles. And a story thats worth a damn.
Aren't you going to shit anyway? It's unhealthy not to.

Warthur

Sep 20, 2010
Imbechile said:
A sequel to Oblivion?
Of all the f*cking TES games it will be a sequel to f*cking Oblivion :-(
I'm certanly not holding my breath for this one >:-(
I think it'd be really premature to get upset about this without more clarification about what "direct sequel" means. I mean, under one definition Oblivion is a direct sequel to Morrowind, which was a direct sequel to Daggerfall, which was a direct sequel to Arena, because it was the next game in the Elder Scrolls series and it advanced the chronology of the Elder Scrolls world to where it's currently at.

"Direct" could mean anything from "the next game in the chronology" to "same setting, same character, immediately after the end of the last scenario". We just. don't. know. No point flipping out until we know what they intend.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Loving all these complaints from people who've been moaning that they're making an mmo instead for ages.

Guys, they're making another goddam Elder Scrolls, and it'll come out soon I should think. This is the best news of my freaking life.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Smart move, why bother with a new world when you can just make a direct sequel instead and recycle most of the graphics and sounds from Oblivion? I also hope that the copy-pasted dungeons & environments and level & item scaling will return so that I won't have any reason to explore the world and waste my time, and can just focus on the quests like it's a linear game. Why add hand crafted content when you can just generate a game world easiy?

Ruffythepirate

Apr 15, 2008
As long as they actually upgrade some graphics engines and develop some new gameplay they can do whatever they want on my account.

York_Beckett

Sep 23, 2010
I wish they could pick up on Headfirst Productions' sequel to Call of Cthulhu. Hey, they were the publishers, so there is a small chance, even with Headfirst being gone and all.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
AS m uch as I love Oblivion I hope it's not a sequel utilizing the same character, as much as I love mine, they already have resume's that are way to impressive.

Other then that... cool beans. I plyed the living hell our of Oblivion and still to this day find myself drawn to it all the time.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Whatever they do'll turn out fine. Just don't make it a buggy mess full of game-breaking exploits.

Alchemy in Morrowind, Duplication in Oblivion, the Scrap Metal glitch in Fallout 3.

Too many people abuse them.
All single player games. Who really cares if they abuse them? I got through all those games without exploiting anything.