Rumor: Bethesda Making Direct Sequel to Oblivion

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
As much as I love the Elder Scrolls series, I can honestly say another game taking place exclusively in Cyrodiil is a terrible idea, that is assuming of course that this is what a "direct sequel" means. The simple fact is that it has been played out, and I want to see the rest of the Empire before I have to go back to the Imperial City.

I loved Morrowind for its varied landscapes and interesting creatures (even though Cliff Racers were so goddamn annoying). I want to visit Elsweyr, Valenwood, Blackmarsh, the mainland part of Morrowind, Skyrim, Hammerfell, Highrock, and Summerset Isles.

Look at that list of locales; there is so much potential in even making a game revolving around just one of those places let alone if they allow us to visit more than one.

However, this is just my pessimistic view. If "direct sequel" simply means a continuation of the story without keeping the player out of the rest of Tamriel so much the better.

SaintMorose

Nov 18, 2010
Well I'll be buying it for sure (unfortunately)

I'm just hoping they fix the leveling system (too easy to level weapons you have no competence with and nothing restricting you from having much better)

The level-scaling system (Oh great I'm level 21 every rat has now been trained in daedric armour...)

-There's no challenge to any dungeon compared to any other. I wouldn't mind a few dungeons/towns that got rescaled every 10 levels but wheres the fun when no matter what cave you enter the enemies and loot are never going to be worth while.

-Quest rewards are all scaled back if you aren't a high enough level and then worthless once you past the max that quest will "level-up" to. Whats the point in even receiving a reward...

Before the game came out there were great stories about the devs playing around with the AI they created; but once it released we saw none of that all toned back so once again the NPCs were boring.

Morrowind had 10 factions vs. 4. And the saddest part is the house quest lines had a much larger impact on the game world than anything in Oblivion.

The story wasn't up to par with that of Morrowind, the dialog options weren't up to par with Morrowind, the end bosses weren't up to par with Morrowind. The compass effectively destroyed any notion of doing the quest yourself (though lack of dialog options may have had a hand in that). The most fun I had doing a non-sheogorath/black hand quest was searching for the shrines with a poorly drawn map. The graphics worked great for it no need for a compass challenge the player a bit!

As much as I thought Oblivion was great and "ES V" is a day 1 buy for me. I really hope they do the job they are capable of doing. And I didn't even have to mention any glitches.

[ /rant]

I guess on the topic of direct sequel - please don't give us a watered down story just to be in-line with the previous game. And please give us a new area to explore.

Ligisttomten

Sep 20, 2004
The fact there will be a 5th game will be enough for me, I don't care where it's set. It'll be awesome anyway.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Direct sequel? I hope not, not unless we get to see some new land or even revisit Morrowind. Honestly, I've spent so many hours of my life in Cyrodil already, I don't need to spend more there.I'm fine with a sequel following the events of the first game and using the same character as long as it's not more Cyrodil and more planes of Oblivion. It'd be nice if they changed up the engine a bit too... just sayin'

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I don't care where they set it as long as they add more variety to the environments (you get sick and tired of visiting the same kind of cave and ancient ruin over and over and over again eventually...) and put some effort into the main quest (compared to the side quests, some of which were absolutely briliant, the main quest was quite abysmal).

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
The good: A new TES!!! HELL YES!!!

The bad: Possible sequel to Oblivion. Why? Seriously, why? Cyrodiil could have been varied and interesting, but it was just a dull CTRL + C of bland forests, fields, and dungeon facsimiles with stagnant loot.

My hope: Of many things, one is that it takes place in new land in Tamriel. I would especially be interested in a game featuring two or more regions to allow for a few things:

1. Varied land, somewhat like how Cyrodiil had marshes south, snow north, ect.
2. Several unique cultures and perspectives and their interaction

If they go for the Cyrodiil setting again, I hope that they flesh out the Ayleids more like how the Dwemer were in Morrowind.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
I say good news. It would probably take less time to do a direct sequel than it would to create a whole new mythos/geography/etc. Hopefully that spared time and resources will allow them to focus on gameplay and the like. The article suggested they were recording voice clips, let's hope that the assignment of those aren't as fucked as it was in Oblivion.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
If they make the world truly hostile like it is in Fallout 3, it'll be awesome.

On another note, although I fucking hate Fable as an RPG (if it can realy be called that), I think they should go with their idea of progressing the world through time: in Albion, by Fable 3 they are having an industrial revolution when at the start of the series it was a fantasy world -- not disimilar to Cyrodiil atm.
They should move the land with the times, I mean, after all, TES could only be improved by having moar crazy steampunk robot.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
I swear, if I was making this game, right off the bat I'd say the main villain was the protagonist of Oblivion, and consider the DLCs canonical. Make it so you're fighting this fearsome foe who has united this chunk of the empire post-Imperial family getting wiped and rules it with an iron fist and the power of Daedra... because he was already the Mad God, controlled the major power groups of the country, etc, etc. It'd be a hell of a twist and opens up a lot of cool options for the game. Imagine fighting- or convincing to defect -the Knights of the Nine, who were torn between following the new founder of the order and having to support his brutal new regime, or having to take on swarms of apprentices from the Mage's Guild because their Archmage declared you a threat. Plus, seeing your foe decked out in the self-same armor garned from completing the main Oblivion storyline would be kinda badass.

mastermerrick

Bored. That is all.
Jul 7, 2010
fleacythesheep said:
I hope they add companions like Fallout, I was lonely :p (but not lonely enough to get the annoying fan).
Midas' nuclear blast took care of that. (yes I played oblivion on pc)

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
poiuppx said:
I swear, if I was making this game, right off the bat I'd say the main villain was the protagonist of Oblivion, and consider the DLCs canonical. Make it so you're fighting this fearsome foe who has united this chunk of the empire post-Imperial family getting wiped and rules it with an iron fist and the power of Daedra... because he was already the Mad God, controlled the major power groups of the country, etc, etc. It'd be a hell of a twist and opens up a lot of cool options for the game. Imagine fighting- or convincing to defect -the Knights of the Nine, who were torn between following the new founder of the order and having to support his brutal new regime, or having to take on swarms of apprentices from the Mage's Guild because their Archmage declared you a threat. Plus, seeing your foe decked out in the self-same armor garned from completing the main Oblivion storyline would be kinda badass.
That would be kinda awesome and amazing...I like your idea!

OT: ELDER SCROLLS!!!! **runs around screaming WHEEEEEEEE!!**

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
Aethren said:
Nalesnik said:
TheNamlessGuy said:
Logan Westbrook said:
FOOL!
It's spelled "Cyrodiil".

/Fanboy rage

OT: Man, that's awesome.
(And the Dragon Lord is obviously the player, since he/she became the king at the end of the main quest.
WRONG!!
Your character did NOT become the king at then end. He/she was labelled as the "Champion of Cyrodiil" and got some sweet looking dragon armour from the Imperial Council, but never does it say that he/she inherits the empire.

Also the "Dragon Lord" is clearly referring to Akatosh, the head of the Nine Divine, the creator of the world.
Cereally, Did you even play the game?

/smug fanboi :p
You fool!

Dragon Lord is clearly referring to Akavir, ie, the birthplace of dragons. I'm calling it now, TES V is gonna take place in Akavir. 'Direct sequel' could be referring to the war Cyrodill just had with them, the player could be an Imperial Ambassador or something imprisoned and scheduled for execution in an Akaviri jail.

/fanboi war
By the blade of Talos!
Now that I think about it, you... you are right... The setting could possibly be another invasion due to the animosity cause by the death of Uriel Septim V's during his failed campaign, OR an invasion BY Akavir, since this would be the perfect time to strike the heart of the empire with its leader gone, and the tense situation with the nearby provinces wanting their own sovereignty.

...I can't believe I was wrong... May Arkay have mercy on my soul...

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it basically already confirmed that the next Elder Scrolls would be taking place in Summerset Isle? So, even if it is following on directly from Oblivion (which is, honestly, a pretty good thing) it's not going to be a straight rehash of Oblivion. More likely, it's a completely different character in a completely different place, but they're still going to be feeling and dealing with the aftermath of a post-Oblivion Tamriel, without an Emperor and so on.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Nalesnik said:
Aethren said:
Nalesnik said:
TheNamlessGuy said:
Logan Westbrook said:
FOOL!
It's spelled "Cyrodiil".

/Fanboy rage

OT: Man, that's awesome.
(And the Dragon Lord is obviously the player, since he/she became the king at the end of the main quest.
WRONG!!
Your character did NOT become the king at then end. He/she was labelled as the "Champion of Cyrodiil" and got some sweet looking dragon armour from the Imperial Council, but never does it say that he/she inherits the empire.

Also the "Dragon Lord" is clearly referring to Akatosh, the head of the Nine Divine, the creator of the world.

You fool!

Dragon Lord is clearly referring to Akavir, ie, the birthplace of dragons. I'm calling it now, TES V is gonna take place in Akavir. 'Direct sequel' could be referring to the war Cyrodill just had with them, the player could be an Imperial Ambassador or something imprisoned and scheduled for execution in an Akaviri jail.

/fanboi war
By the blade of Talos!
Now that I think about it, you... you are right... The setting could possibly be another invasion due to the animosity cause by the death of Uriel Septim V's during his failed campaign, OR an invasion BY Akavir, since this would be the perfect time to strike the heart of the empire with its leader gone, and the tense situation with the nearby provinces wanting their own sovereignty.

...I can't believe I was wrong... May Arkay have mercy on my soul...
You're all awesome. Best thing I've read all day.

/goes off to nerdgasm over the UESP wiki.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
Nalesnik said:
WRONG!!

What.

Yes you do!
Martin says so in the epilogue (even if the game continues afterwards...).
He says something about the country now being yours to rule, or something along those lines.
(Not sure anymore though, I've only finished the main quest 10-12 times, and it was quite a while ago).
But it would make sense, since the royal family ended then and there.

And are you saying you can play as Akatosh?
Because the royal family is dead, so it can't be any of those, and the "Dragon Lord" is clearly the protagonist.

/Outraged fanboy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLWAr3TQ-S8
He says something like: "...when the next elder scroll is written, you shall be inscribed, the shape of the future, the fate of the empire, these things now belong to you"

Now granted, I could see how you interpreted that as Martin passing down the empire to you, but according to official canon, after the Oblivion crisis, the Imperial Council rules for a little while, until it eventually crumbles. Then another person takes over the empire by conquest.
Source: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Fourth_Era

/countered with lore

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Hell yes. I loved Oblivion, but damn I hope it's somewhere else. Cyrodiil gets a tad boring after hours and hours and hours (well you get it, right? I played it a lot) of gameplay.