Rumor: Bethesda Teases Next Fallout With New Website - UPDATED

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
trty00 said:
Darmy647 said:
Snipped because Wall o' Text
Offend who? The hardcore Fallout fans who want everything to stay the same? While I don't think you should actively try to piss off your fanbase, fans can get pretty ridiculous. Zelda fans freaked out over the look of Wind Waker and DMC fans freaked out over the new direction of the series, even though it was only a stylistic one, so they can get pretty irrational.
There are other places to go, you could go to the American south, canada, Cuba/Florida, Texas (though it would probably be more of New Vegas). Fallout hasn't completely explored its twist on 50's america.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
I do like myself a good countdown page (provided it is counting down to something interesting). It would be cool if the game ended up taking on a different sitting - it would be intriguing to have a turn at seeing what my home country looks like in Fallout's post-nuclear apocalypse setting. I'm sure it's not too much of a stretch to imagine other countries having their own vault-like solutions, or that Vault-Tec didn't just limit their operations to the States. Though that said, that 50s Americana style is quite a major part of the series - I do wonder what a Fallout game would feel like without it.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Chaosritter said:
I wanna see the next Fallout playing in Canada.

Blood-thirsty mutant mooses, mounties in power armor and free wasteland healthcare. God, that'd be awesome...
Don't forget the guns that say "Sorry" every time you pull the trigger to fire your maple syrup laser.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Even in the real 1950's, the rest of the world weren't just howels made out of goat manure who had never heard of Coca Cola. America and everything American was big and hip, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume this went up to ridiculous levels just like everything else in the Fallout universe.
And to provide an even better connection to America, remember all the U.S. Airforce bases in Germany and other places. The game could easily include one of them. Perhaps guarding a dark secret. A secret the Institute wants retrieved, and have sent an expeditionary force to recover.

Bam. Even more tightly knit to the proper Americana if the country in question has gone through the Canada treatment during the Resource Wars and become an American puppet state.

A spin-off abroad would work. It would work just fine, if enough care and attention is given in making it fit together with the rest of the series. And a change of scenery in general would be rather welcome. South America would be interesting. Imagine what intense radiation might do to a few already nasty jungle creatures.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
About time we get another fallout game! (if that's what it is)
Looking forward to the announcement :)

(If it's a tablet/smartphone game, I will murder something)

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Mcoffey said:
Hopefully they ditch the moldy, cardboard box of an engine that is Creation. Everything looks pretty (but only by Bethesda standards), but it's held together with tape and twine. I've had completely unmodded installs of Skyrim crash before even getting to the title screen, and then a few weeks later start up just fine, with no tinkering by me.
While Oblivion and the original Fallout 3 tended to crash on me every couple of hours by default, I can't remember Skyrim crashing on me even once. And it looks better and runs faster than Oblivion too.

Mcoffey said:
Seriously, Bethesda: Just have id or someone make your engine. You guys cant code for shit. You're worlds are big, but they're not that big. Other sandboxe games have come and gone with just as much content and are way more stable than anything you guys have put out.
You really can't compare a Elder Scrolls/Fallout type game to a first person shooter like Id makes or a actiony sandbox game like Just Cause or GTA. You have no idea just how much more is going on in a Bethesda RPG compared to a standard FPS.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I'm not even American and I know this series needs to stay in America. The cultural references to 1950's America is part of what makes Fallout what it is.

Without the American feel, it may as well not be Fallout.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
trty00 said:
Darmy647 said:
Offend who? The hardcore Fallout fans who want everything to stay the same? While I don't think you should actively try to piss off your fanbase, fans can get pretty ridiculous. Zelda fans freaked out over the look of Wind Waker and DMC fans freaked out over the new direction of the series, even though it was only a stylistic one, so they can get pretty irrational.
If the next fallout did take place in china, how would they handle it? Thats all im saying, is if it somehow makes another region look bad.

Gwen Utopia

Jan 12, 2010
Scorpid said:
trty00 said:
Darmy647 said:
There are other places to go, you could go to the American south, canada, Cuba/Florida, Texas (though it would probably be more of New Vegas). Fallout hasn't completely explored its twist on 50's america.
What exactly makes it inapproriate for Fallout to explore to other parts of the world? Other than "It's not how Fallout does things". What's the difference that makes Florida okay but UK not?
Wherever they go there's gonna be new groups and factions, new creatures, and a new twist on 50's values and such.

I don't see why Fallout has to be confined to the things it has already explored. That just makes the series stagnant.
With that mentality, Fallout 3 would still be set in California and we wouldn't have things like the Capital Wasteland or Ceasar's Legion.

OT:
I really hope it's real. It seems approriate for Bethesda to announce something new since I assume the devs that worked on Skyrim haven't just been sitting around doing nothing.

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Gwen Utopia said:
Scorpid said:
trty00 said:
Darmy647 said:
What exactly makes it inapproriate for Fallout to explore to other parts of the world? Other than "It's not how Fallout does things". What's the difference that makes Florida okay but UK not?
Wherever they go there's gonna be new groups and factions, new creatures, and a new twist on 50's values and such.

I don't see why Fallout has to be confined to the things it has already explored. That just makes the series stagnant.
With that mentality, Fallout 3 would still be set in California and we wouldn't have things like the Capital Wasteland or Ceasar's Legion.

OT:
I really hope it's real. It seems approriate for Bethesda to announce something new since I assume the devs that worked on Skyrim haven't just been sitting around doing nothing.
I dont have any problem with them branching out to diffrent regions. I just hope no over-react idiots take it personally or far too seriously is all. Offended idiots are a pain.

Gwen Utopia

Jan 12, 2010
Darmy647 said:
Gwen Utopia said:
Scorpid said:
trty00 said:
Darmy647 said:

OT:
I dont have any problem with them branching out to diffrent regions. I just hope no over-react idiots take it personally or far too seriously is all. Offended idiots are a pain.
I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's will always be someone complaining about how "whatever-thing" was or wasn't in the previous games. Fallout-fans in particular...

Darmy647

Sep 28, 2012
Gwen Utopia said:
Darmy647 said:
Gwen Utopia said:
Scorpid said:
trty00 said:
Darmy647 said:

OT:
I wouldn't get my hopes up. There's will always be someone complaining about how "whatever-thing" was or wasn't in the previous games. Fallout-fans in particular...
well in all fairness, like New vegas showed us, certain areas were hit hardest by the bombs and certain areas were not. Where they will go next im not sure.

viggih7

Mar 31, 2009
*sniff sniff* I can smell someone firing up a shiskebab and a pungent breath of whiskey.

Cookie for reference

Holythirteen

Mar 1, 2013
I have serious doubts about this countdown, not getting my hopes up.

I personally wouldn't hate the idea of a Europe-based Fallout, but it does seem contradictory to what the other Fallouts have been doing all these years, the other games sort of pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist, (which I kind of hate, being Canadian), but they do tend to loosely tie in some things from the earlier games and trying to all-of-a-sudden tie events happening in Europe to those happening in the states, even though nobody in any Fallout game has ever acknowledged any contact with any other nation would be rather jarring.

I also remember an interview with the devs saying they wouldn't do that sort of thing because they would prefer to write what they know or something like that. But that may have been Obsidian saying that, so that may not count for much.

Tiamat666 said:
I can't remember Skyrim crashing on me even once.
Wow are you kidding? It definitely crashes less, but it was also much less complex than Fallout(in Fallout mutliple quests were woven together and interacted with each other, and almost every character you could talk to had their own unique dialogue, Skyrim had some quests that would affect the main quest in some ways, but not much else). I definitely wouldn't want Fallout-flavoured Skyrim, blech.

Anyway. HOAX.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Scorpid said:
JoJo said:
I really hope this isn't a hoax and it's set in London or elsewhere in England, fingers crossed!
Sorry this would suck. The Fallout verse is set squarely in north America, it's entire atmosphere is geared that way. I mean it's like if there was a 'Leave it to beaver' season 5 was set in europe, the change of setting would completely undermine the entire premise of the series. Fallout setting just isn't interesting outside Canada and the U.S.. Because the idealization of America is irrelevant outside the US/Canada, where you know, other cultures have different ideals. It's just a waste/exploitation of the fallout brand name.
Not only that, but it's been well established in the Fallout lore that post-war Europe is dead. D-E-A-D DEAD!
The understanding is that during the resource war, when the UN split up and America annexed Canada, the infighting and inability to agree on a plan of action rendered the nations of Europe incapable of defending themselves against the encroaching Nuclear Armageddon, and as a result, damn near nobody other then the United States and China still have livable atmospheres. The Fallout Bible has more on all this, and it's talked about from time to time in FO1&2.

OT: Even though I know deep down that this is probably a hoax, I reeeeeally want to play a next-gen Fallout title, and it has been quite a few years since New Vegas, so the time is about right.
I guess we'll see on December 11th...