Rumor: Bethesda to buy Valve?

GOATOFRAGE

Jun 20, 2008
if this happens i think it will ruin the personality valve has, turning it into a corporate money grabbing machine like most big gaming companies *cough* infinity ward *cough*

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
All I have to say to this is; yeah, right. It's a private company, you can't just buy it out.

uk_john

Jan 1, 2007
I don't like it. And you tell me: What do you think is more likely to happen..... Bethesda's RPG's become more FPS like or Valve's shooter will become an RPG?

As an RPG fan that is seeing more and more Action-Adventures being called RPG's, it scares the hell out of me!

Zaksav91

Oct 16, 2009
I actually really support this move. I doubt Bethesda will change Valve a lot if at all. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Both are really respected companies too, and for me, it will be a perfect match.

toapat

Mar 28, 2009
TheBarefootBandit said:
Lone wanderer + Dr Freeman = Humanity Ultimate Saviour (who has a sweet beard).
you are wrong
Gorden Freeman+Dr. Gregory House. MD.= jesus

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I believe that big companies have tried to purchase Valve before, and been thoroughly rebuffed. I know that Newell is on the record as saying that one of the things he values the most is Valve's complete control of their product. As such, I think this is just somebody whistling in the dark.

My bet is that Valve remains its own entity until those guys decide they want to retire and laze about on fat bags of cash all day, every day... or the Earth ends, whichever comes first.

RoseBridge

Oct 27, 2009
Im not really sure what this means, besides more money all around. And even if it was true I dont think Bethesda buying Valve means that their games are some how gonna merge together like a lot of people seem to imply.

Arbitrary Cidin

Apr 16, 2009
Dusty Pancakes said:
So...they just want it for Half-Life? That's just like eating only the syrup from ice blocks, you aren't getting the WHOLE experience.
The what from where? Dammit, where's my British-to-American dictionary...

OT: I'm not sure what to think of this. The story reeks of being trollspawn. I'm guessing it started as an elaborate forum prank. If it is true, however, I'm a bit weary as to what that means. Will Bethesda be (god forbid) coding Half Life 2: Episode 3, or will Valve be showing Bethesda how to make DLC professional quality rather than looking like elaborate G.E.C.K. mods. Will they even be working together at all or is it just going to be an extra brand on the game box?