Rumor: Could This Possibly be the PlayStation 4 Controller?

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Rumor: Could This Possibly be the PlayStation 4 Controller?

Let's break down this rumored PS4 controller image piece by piece.

It seems like everyone in the gaming world - aside from Microsoft, of course [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122134-Microsoft-Believes-Most-Consumers-Wont-Hear-Sony-Announcement] - is anticipating that Sony will reveal the PlayStation 4 at its event on February 20. According to several rumors across the web, the PS4's controller has undergone a bit of a redesign, adding a touchpad to the center of the device. Now we have an image of what everyone seems to be talking about, but is it legit?

The image has been popping up here and there on social networks and other websites for a little while now, and appears to show a PlayStation controller plugged into what may well be a development kit. It's unclear exactly where the image originated, and several reverse image searches bring up no results as to where it was first posted.

The controller in the photo certainly looks like a PlayStation controller after having undergone a bit of plastic surgery to include a front touchpad (or touchscreen, it's difficult to tell from the image), a speaker, and a PS Move-esque top light bar. This device manages to fit in with just about every rumor we've heard about the new controller thus far, and the fact that the PS4 has been said to come bundled with a camera would lend some weight to the inclusion of a lighted motion control bar on the controller itself.

On the downside, the device looks a bit bulky, and certainly would appear to be larger than any standard PlayStation controller before it. Also, the half-concave, half-convex thumb sticks are something we've never seen before, and without holding the device, it's hard to tell if they'd be comfortable or not.

Again, we have no way to verify the legitimacy of the image, but if it does turn out to be merely a hoax, color me impressed with how well the hoaxer managed to replicate every rumored feature. Of course, there's also the possibility that this is merely an early prototype of how the final device will end up. What do you think? Does this seem like something you'd expect to see from Sony?

Via Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/what-the-hell-is-this-the-new-playstation-controller--244985.phtml]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
WiiU Ripoff! That thing is Ripping off the WiiU! Look at it! It has a SCREEN in the CENTER OF IT! RIPOFF!!!

In all seriousness, if that is the Controller, then that's kind of cool. Certainly an improvement to the standard controller (Not a fan of the PS-PS3 Controller).

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Remember when technology was focused on making things smaller and, more importantly, lighter? I miss those days...

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Definitely could be a prototype. Stick shape is indeed questionable. At least overall it's not much different from dualshocks.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
PLEASE PLEASE SONY don't put a freaking touch screen on the controller, remember what happened when you put sixaxis on the ps3 controller? it didn't work so no one used it

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I hope not because of the high D-pad.

Now I really don't think it makes any difference at all if the analogue stick is high or low, it makes no difference to the ability of the thumb to manipulate he thumbstick.

The important thing with a low D-pad is that EITHER the right or left thumb can reach the D-pad.

This is really damn useful for games that used the d-pad for a quick-select inventory, then you can for example continue moving forwards or dodging using left-thumb while right thumb gets something from inventory. And I think this is an important thing as the curse of 2-weapon-limit is with us because of developers not finding ways to have an easy to manage inventory but the 8-direction D-pad easily offers that.

Not sure about touchpad. Always thought it a console controller were to have one it would be better placed underneath and save the space on top.

On the downside, the device looks a bit bulky, and certainly would appear to be larger than any standard PlayStation controller before it.
I think apart from small children with tiny hands this is a positive.

And overall it's far easier to hold something that is a bit larger than ideal than a bit smaller than ideal.

... that's what she said.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Interesting, I can only guess from the image, but it looks to be around the same size as a 360 controller. Im intregiued. But as interesting as it may be, I doubt its going to be replacing the dualshock.

I hope no one starts loosing their shit over the fear of there not being a standard dual shock for the PS4, that would just be silly...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
What's the point of such a tiny touch screen?

God... I hate touch screens :(

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
What makes me doubt the officialness of this design?

It's clearly a fixed wired controller. It's not attached by mini USB, that's a clear dura-cord and I don't see them going anything other than wireless with the only wired option being connect via USB.

This clearly points to prototype design implementation.

Maybe there is a reprieve for low-position D-pad.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
If it's going to have the exact same button layout, it literally makes no sense to actually design a new controller. So, either they are that stupid, or this isn't the new controller.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Baresark said:
If it's going to have the exact same button layout, it literally makes no sense to actually design a new controller. So, either they are that stupid, or this isn't the new controller.
They've redesigned the controller three times already with the same button layout... The DualShock 2, Sixaxis, Dualshock 3. This one would add a light bar for Move and a touchpad. I'm not suggesting it makes sense, but history tends to suggest that every new console from Sony has a new controller, all with the exact same buttons...

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The box its plugged into doesn't appear the same as any of the images of the various "Orbis" dev kits. Obviously that does not mean all that much, images of every iteration of the dev kits have not been leaked and none of the ones that are about have not been confirmed.

People are so good at making fakes of consoles and controllers its so damn hard to tell the difference.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
At first I thought you were being sarcastic, when I saw the thumbnail image. "Holy shit, it looks exactly the same like all the other ones!?" XD

They really don't change much though. It might be better if it's bigger. I hated the controller for PS3. X360 is still the best one I've held, because it didn't feel really weird to use it or like you would accidentally break it (PS3).

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Well at least they didn't deviate too much. I was expecting a full-blown wii-u clone. This is at least acceptable. The analog sticks and buttons just seem too close, though.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Whats the price on that? Motion controll and touch screen? In no way would I take one of those to a friends house.

And the touchscreen looks so small that I doubt that it will be usefull at all.

Still, its all just rumors and I think its best to wait for the official announcement. I dont dislike this design (I am curious about the sticks) but the amount of gimmicks could increase the price of something that is already expensive as it is.