Rumor: Could This Possibly be the PlayStation 4 Controller?

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
Hot damn is that ugly. Did they decide to beat Microsoft for biggest big ass controller? That thing looks as uncomfortable as the original xbox controller and about as deadly if thrown. I sure hope this isn't it, would make me a sad panda if it was...
I would really just like the same controller, always did like the dual shock controllers the best. Don't really like the 360 controller or anything after the snes from Nintendo, with the exceptionof the ggame cube. But hey, that's just me.

Ps, why would you put a touch screen on a controller? I can understand if it's the focus of the controller, like the wii u but this just screams bad idea to me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Korten12 said:
Dat Analog sticks... Like the inwards.
I'd rather the inwards didn't come outwards again like that.

D-pad looks like shit too, and I hope that shiny black thing isn't the entirety of the touch surfae :z I prefered the rumours or a back-side-touch-panel thing a` la Vita.

It also looks like a third party peripheral at any rate. But to be honest I've got my Wii U for my NIntendo fix, and otherwise I'm more focused on upgrading my PC than wasting effort on consoles that don't offer unique experiences and are instead, as Jimothy Sterling put it "shit PC's"

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Issurru said:
Hot damn is that ugly. Did they decide to beat Microsoft for biggest big ass controller? That thing looks as uncomfortable as the original xbox controller and about as deadly if thrown. I sure hope this isn't it, would make me a sad panda if it was...
I would really just like the same controller, always did like the dual shock controllers the best. Don't really like the 360 controller or anything after the snes from Nintendo, with the exceptionof the ggame cube. But hey, that's just me.

Ps, why would you put a touch screen on a controller? I can understand if it's the focus of the controller, like the wii u but this just screams bad idea to me.
Dude have you seen the Wii U's Pro Controller?

It's one sexy piece of command input technology, every curve is smooth and beautiful, and when I held it the first time it just melted into my hands... It's like a glorious middle comrpomise between the dual shock, gamecube pad and 360 controller...

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
It looks really cheap, like something you would see come from Madcatz. Maybe that's because it's a prototype, or maybe it really is fake. Only time can truly tell.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
There's either a speaker or a microphone in the middle. Probably the latter, so headsets might be going out.

And judging by it's brick like quality, it definitely looks like a prototype for testing the wiring.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I really hope that's not a speaker sitting in the middle.
I don't think a single sound came out the Wiimote without making me jump at least a little.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
RatherDull said:
I'm going to throw my hat in and say that this is a hoax.

Mostly because of the D-pad. D-pads on all first party Playstation controllers were designed to look like four buttons Where as other D-pads are whole where you slide it in the direction you want.

The reason for this is supposedly to avoid a copyright problem. Now this just looks like a regular D-pad so it makes me skeptical.

If this does turn out to be true, I'd rather have the D-pad be whole on the face of the controller because the first party PS3 D-pad hurts my thumbs.
To be fair the PS Vita d-pad doesn't look all that different from the one on the controller in that picture.

OT: It's pretty cheap and flimsy looking. Sony hardware is usually a lot more solid and sturdy than that, and that just looks like really cheap, shitty plastic. If this is real it's gotta be a prototype IMO.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Looks alright. I'm not sure what you could do with such a tiny screen, though. Wii U made it big enough to clearly see things on it and stuff, but for this controller, if its real, reminds me more of those old PDA screens with the touchscreen that never worked. But you know what, if putting HUD elements on the controller is what Sony wants to do, i'm totally cool with that. I'm tired of games stuffing the game screen with all that little clutter.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
Don't worry about the analog stick shape. Eventually, every controller gets whittled down to a smooth bowl shape.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
You guys have noticed that there is also, what appears to be, a microphone and a speaker grill built into the front of that thing as well.

Now that I can see some actual use for! The Move-esk glowy bit and the touchscreen/pad I suspect will be gimmics at best.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Are you all nba players? Hands like Andre the giant?

This controller looks like a brick, like a slightly different N64 pad. How are you meant to use a touch screen and play games? Look at the controller like I've never held one before? Fuck that!

How many people actually want move and touch screen integration? Not many I assume

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Interesting, but they really need to work it out a bit better. Seriously, the ouya's little circle touch pad is much better than this.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
I dont know about anybody else but to me it doesnt really look like its much bigger then the ps3 controller.

Orange12345 said:
PLEASE PLEASE SONY don't put a freaking touch screen on the controller, remember what happened when you put sixaxis on the ps3 controller? it didn't work so no one used it
The sixaxis worked perfectly fine.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Looks ugly as all hell and that screen is so small to be pointless. What do they expect to fit on there you couldnt just do with a button press? Its there just for the sake of it, like Sony has a "Wiiu has one so we should to".

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
so they're freaking out over the Wii U like how they freaked out over the Wii. Hoo-boy, this is going to be interesting.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Thank god it's not a fucking boomerang.

I'm kind of intrigued by the concave disk thumb sticks.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
WiiU Ripoff! That thing is Ripping off the WiiU! Look at it! It has a SCREEN in the CENTER OF IT! RIPOFF!!!

In all seriousness, if that is the Controller, then that's kind of cool. Certainly an improvement to the standard controller (Not a fan of the PS-PS3 Controller).
Sixaxis? Moar leik "Suxaxis!"
It's 2006 all over again. Time to buy stock in Facebook before it gets big.
Sony controllers haven't changed their design much since 94, this thing looks too different to be legit.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Orange12345 said:
PLEASE PLEASE SONY don't put a freaking touch screen on the controller, remember what happened when you put sixaxis on the ps3 controller? it didn't work so no one used it
How are those features the same? At all...in any way?

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
Well the small touchscreen could work. Just don't use it with the DS mentality of sticking a stupid map or inventory screen on it. Use it for moving objects or just moving your fingers in certain directions.Something that wouldn't require you to look down while playing since that is what makes the wii u so pointlessly stupid. I'm thinking of using it in a way similar to skyward sword where you move your finger in the direction you want to swing to make certain strikes. You have a definite center on the screen and since its on the controller it could work reasonable well if its precise enough.