Rumor: It's 'Nam-vember 2010 With Treyarch's Next Call of Duty

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: It's 'Nam-vember 2010 With Treyarch's Next Call of Duty

Rumor has it that Treyarch's rumored Cold War/Vietnam Call of Duty is rumored to come out in November 2010, with Activision intending to corner the holiday season for a fourth straight year - or so rumor says, anyway.

There's been no actual confirmation that secondary Call of Duty developer Treyarch is working on a game set during the Vietnam War era, but at this point the circumstantial evidence is mounting so high that I'd be honestly surprised if it turns out to not be the case - which, of course, is still a possibility. Noah Heller looking for a history buff [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=6644] for the next game in the series.

Now, a "senior UK trade source" reportedly Platoon [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=230972]. CVG's source also said that publisher Activision-Blizzard has mandated that the title be ready to launch in November, to "own Christmas 2010, just as it has in the last two years. "

By my count, actually, that would be the last three years, as Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B0016B28Y8/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1280953524&sr=1-2] all came out in November of 2007, 2008, and 2009 respectively, and all three were massive, massive hits. So even if this weren't all that reputable a source, the idea that November 2010 would see a new CoD for the fourth year running is hardly an uneducated guess.

"Development is on course - and Treyarch have been told the game must be ready to hit shelves before the gifting season," said the source, though Activision declined to comment.

Will there be moral ambiguity and drug addiction ahoy for Treyarch this November? Our Magic 8-Squall says "...whatever." We'll take that as a yes.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
So keeping with the theme of countries America hates/had wars with.

Original.

SniperWolf427

Jun 27, 2008
Huh.

Someone at Treyarch was either listening to the fans, or stole this idea from a company that actually puts innovation in their games.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
The DSM said:

Original.
At least it's a new war.

OT: Good. I really want to see a Vietnam game. I hope they do Revolutionary war next.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
The DSM said:

Original.
Yes, because it's completely unreasonable for a California-based developer made largely of Americans to make a game about Americans...?

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Hasn't been a good Vietnam game since Battlefield: Vietnam. Oh, wait, that was the ONLY good Vietnam game. This could be good... I hope we can be part of Tiger Force. I'll buy it then, even if the game doesn't include dedicated servers.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
The DSM said:

Original.
So you'd rather have the Millionth WWII or Modern War Game at least they're trying something new. plus they're an american deveoper get over yourself

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Will there be moral ambiguity and drug addiction ahoy for Treyarch this November? Our Magic 8-Squall says "...whatever." We'll take that as a yes.
These last two sentences just made my day.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
The DSM said:

Original.
Dude, where did you get the idea that america hated vietnam? That's like saying america hates korea. America might hate communists, but we've been willing to sacrifice lives to keep communists from taking over. Just look at south korea now, it's a thriving nation rather than the bleak struggling countries of north korea and vietnam.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Maybe there will actually be Australians in it for once, as they were one of the main forces that joined in the war.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Vietnam has such a strong potential for them to put a story into this game but Based on my experience of the last two treyarch cod single player campaigns i don't know whether or not they will be able to pull it off.
They seem to prefer throwing you into one mission after then next with no real care for a story. I just dont think they can pull off a proper vietnam experience.
And it would be awesome to play as an Australian in a vietnam game.

ygetoff

Oct 22, 2008
Radeonx said:
The DSM said:

Original.
At least it's a new war.

OT: Good. I really want to see a Vietnam game. I hope they do Revolutionary war next.
I get the sense that Revolutionary War wouldn't hold much appeal outside the U.S.
Or inside the U.S., for that matter.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
*Sigh* When will Treyarch learn... Even with IW kinda dropping the ball with MW2, they still make better CoD games by MILES. But I guess this will serve as an appetizer for MW3.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
almightywabbit said:
Didn't I make a thread about this?
Don't worry Funk, I got this.

CantFaketheFunk said:
For (unfortunately not) the last time: Forum threads have absolutely no bearing on what we post on the front page of the site. Many people come to the site and don't read the forums at all. Just because it gets posted in the News Room forum does not make this a forum thread, it makes it a news post.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
At least they're thinking outside of the box. Kinda.

So are they planning on pushing the envelope a bit further, and selling it for 70 dollars this time around?