Rumor: Johnny Depp Starring in Doctor Who Movie

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
First of, this almost certainly a load of old wibbly wobbly timey whimey bollocks.

Second of all, this sounds like a terrible idea. Doctor Who works for tv (if your sat around with your family and don't think to hard about the doctor is stating as fact). That doesn't mean it works on the silver screen, in fact chances are it won't. Look at the futurama. Brilliant on tv. Works in a movie format maybe 50% of the time.

And finally, am I the only one to notice that Johnny Depp hasn't had a great acting role since the first Pirates of the Caribbean? His roles in Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate factory and the other two pirates movies were annoying at best. Un yet the guy get's cast in everything and everyone still seems to want him to play every role under the sun. What gives?

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Johnny Depp? It's obvious who the director would be and who will be cast as one of the 'volunteers' if that is the case...

Even though I dislike the current Doctor, I don't like the idea of bringing someone random in to play the character. Plus I'd rather just see the BBC TV specials than a theatrical release since they will just fuck up the entire thing by making it too 'hollywood' with car chases, explosions and fake breasts every other minute.

And I have to agree that the Daleks are really getting old now, there are loads of other enemies out there that were just as good if not better. Even with all of the time travel, it's getting a bit tedious seeing them come back from extinction every time the Doctor pimp slaps them with the sonic screwdriver. Maybe they could have Timothy Dalton doing nothing for another five minutes like in The End of Time?

Alzabane

May 30, 2009
Aeryn Seoung said:
If I'm not mistaken there was a Doctor Who film in the past.. But my memory sucks at remembering things.

I sincerely hope this is not true. I do like Johnny Depp, but I honestly think he'd ruin it. Why not cast the current star, Matt Smith?

Other then that, it better be a British film.
Right you ar my friend, Doctor Who has had infact three movies; two theatrical releases starring peter cushing as the doctor which where rather enjoyable to watch, and a really rather awful american tv film starring paul macgan.

My thoughts on this film are first; why not use matt smith? he's a great actor, and a film like this could really bost his publicity. Secondly, what's the point in a movie? a standard two-parter is about the length of a movie anyway and the plot isn't something that exites me, the doctor curing illnesses? why not base a film on the time war so we can find out what actually happened.... then we could end it by wipping it from time as the time war was an awful add to the cannon.

Speaking of cannon, this will destroy it, where will Jonny fit in in the doctor's life span? Will he become a forgotten memory like cushing? or... even worse... will he become the first life in a line of american doctor who show? I shudder to think

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Why can't Johnny Depp just fuck off? I've hated him ever since the second pirates of the caribbean movie. Surey the brilliance of Matt Smith just goes to show we need to cast more new and relatively unheard of names!?

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Good. This is what Doctor Who needs, a kick in the ass. It was brilliant for a while but when the 3rd series came along, everything went downhill. And Johnny Depp is a great choice for the Doctor. If this happens to be true, bring it on I say.

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
I love Johnny Depp and all, but I really, really hate the idea of another Doctor Who movie.

TV shows shouldn't be made into movies until they have been off the air for awhile. Yes, I am aware that DW was gone for 16 years, but it's back so it doesn't count.

Jack and Calumon said:
I hope to god this works out. I couldn't bear another catastrophe. In fact, I want Matt Smith as the Doctor! Keep him on! No-one wants Mr "I got a Jar of Dirt!"

Calumon: That's all I know him from! ^^
You're missing out then, Depp is a really fantastic actor. The best example (in my opinion) is probably Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

The trailer doesn't really do the film justice.

I'd also recommend Sweeney Todd, though it's a musical.

Edit: Better video.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
Depp would misrepresent the roll so bad. He'd come off all weird and creepy and portray the doctor as someone crazy. The doctor is odd, not insane, and his behavior makes perfect sense to him "Bow ties are coooool" I just think of Jack Sparrow or The Mad hatter and cringe of what he'll do to my dear ol' doctor.

ReSpawn

Feb 24, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
A brief plot synopsis suggest that the Doctor, along with a small team of "volunteers", will travel through time and space healing the sick of diseases brought by invading aliens. During the course of the movie, the Doctor cures the bubonic plague, and then heads to Africa to work on Ebola.
You all just got punk'd.

It's pretty good though. Plays on most people's perception (right or wrong) of American producers and executives. That they are idiots, incapable of understanding any sort of cult or indie subject.

I mean look at it, it's implied that the American's are taking the Doctor moniker literally. It's so scary because we all think it's possible for them to get it that wrong.

Crafty troll is crafty.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That would be so epic! I wouldnt mind seeing that! Go go Deep as the Dr!

RedFox042

May 25, 2009
Plinglebob said:
The only Doctor Who film I would support at this stage would be one where they bring back Paul McGann and show the end of the Time War and his regeneration into Christopher Eccleston.
This. This is something I would pay lots of Your dollars to go see. Heck I might even pay my dollars to see that. Or have it be about the Fall of Arcadia. I always thought that that sounded like a great deep dark plot to base a movie film around.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
My first reaction was horror - but then I started to think just how much the Doctor matches the archetypal Depp character (outwardly whimsical with a dark core) and perhaps it wouldn't be such a disaster from the casting perspective. However, the likelihood is that a movie would either seem like a two-part television episode or else so radically depart from the Doctor Who aesthetic as to be unrecognizable.

Big Max

Aug 29, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
This smells as fishy as Unhygienix on a hot day (I wonder if anybody will get that reference).

Why would the BBC give the go ahead to a Doctor Who movie when the TV series is still going strong?

And why would they give the job the show's former head writer, who has absolutely no experience with feature films (unlike, oh I don't know, Stephen Moffat)?

None of this adds up.
Is that a reference to Asterix? Unusual.

OT: I'm not really sure what to make of this, as much as I like Depp I just can't see an American doctor.

Chimaera

Niche Game Fangirl
Oct 28, 2005
Now, I like Doctor Who a ton, and I like Depp fair enough, but - meh at the plot. There is officially nothing to get excited about here.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Why does there have to be a film version of everything?? Oh yeah, they haven't wrung enough money out of people yet...

Aeryn Seoung

Aug 21, 2009
Alzabane said:
Speaking of cannon, this will destroy it, where will Jonny fit in in the doctor's life span? Will he become a forgotten memory like cushing? or... even worse... will he become the first life in a line of american doctor who show? I shudder to think
Dear god. I also shudder to think. I'd hate to see Johnny Depp hastily shoved into the Doctor Time line. If it happens, the accused must be shot to pay for his crimes.

As for an American Doctor Who? Well. No. I think that is unlikely. It hasn't been long since they launched the new series of Doctor Who in the states. Karen Gillan was especially sexy during the press conference.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
Mr Companion said:
A couple of points here, first of all why cant Russel T David bugger off and let a good writer take over? Secondly- GRAAAH WHY DOES THIS ONCE GREAT TV SERIES JUST CIRCLE THE DRAIN SO DEPRESSINGLY! I mean jesus why is it that all I can do is watch in horror as Doctor who just get worse and worse, spurting out all sorts of cliché'd moralistic nonsense and re introducing terrible old villains over and over just to please crotchety old morons who cant see how great DW could really be... Ught I hate thiS godamnd failing species.
Wow, I hope I never get this disillusioned. I can see your opinion over the current series of doctor who GREATLY differs to my own, but even so, no reason to be hating on the human race. No offence, but I think the problem may lie with you.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a Doctor Who movie.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Baldry said:
BRITISH RAGE!!! GRRRAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

Um that's my only problem, I would much prefer the actor to be British.
You're not the only one. This is what annoys me most.