Rumor: Kinect Priced at $149

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I wouldnt get something like this to begin with, but that price... Wow.

That just seems ludicrous.

DRD 1812

Mar 1, 2010
I agree that $150 is probably too high for a serious adoption rate, but what people (including Mr. Funk) are forgetting is that one Kinect allows four people to play right out of the box. To put that in perspective each Wiimote without the Motion Plus or nunchuck is $40. You get one remote & nunchuck with your standard Wii bundle. So,

Xbox- $300 + Kinect $150 = $450

Wii- $200 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 = $320

If you get Motion Plus controllers it's an extra $10 per controller= $350.

If you get a nunchuck for each controller it's an extra $15 per controller= $395.

Still less expensive than a Slim + Kinetic bundle but, "more than twice the current price of the Wii," isn't exactly accurate given what each hardware bundle allows you to do.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Fallen-Angel Risen-Demon said:
For £200 they can go fuck themselves what's that in dollers bout $220 and Americans only have to pay $140 last time I checked that was racism/discrimination!
Get used to it. Books in Canada are almost double the US prices, even though our currency is almost the same.

They're going to blame it on "shipping costs", I just know it.

Oh by the way, that's around 400 dollars, American.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I saw this on Spike a couple of hours ago. Some of their game weren't that amusing to me. Honestly, the only thing that I got out of the Kinect is a good laugh at the games.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
No, I would not buy it. Best case scenario I buy it when the price comes down and it has a few solid games. Worst case, I don't buy it, ever.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
I'm almost positive $150 is higher than what the final price will actually be, but I'm not going to be the least bit interested in Kinect until it has something more to offer me than weak Wii rip-offs with prettier graphics and even more spastic flailing of the extremities.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
People spent $500 to $800 on a freaking iPAD!!! (people spent up to £700 = $1000 in UK)

There is the "Apple Effect" or should I say "Fabergé effect" where pricing things very high with the right public perception can just make them more desirable. But Apple's trick with iPad is start with high price expectations (everyone expected a tablet-Macbook and so $1000 base price, not a super-size iPod Touch which is EXACTLY what the iPad is).

Microsoft need to convince people this is WORTH MORE than $150 and somehow they are "doing you a favour" selling it at $150. But it's a bit late for that now.

If worst comes to worse I suspect they will bundle the Xbox Arcade (new price $150) with Natal Kinect and sell it for $350 and swallow the $50 loss hoping to earn it back in them buying proprietary peripherals and subscriptions.

But I think the whole point of the $300-price-point Xbox "Short" is more casual friendly, with a built in WiFi it's easier for getting online, MS want people online so trap them in their walled garden of online services. They may sacrifice that in pushing the Arcade model more

No word on an "arcade version" of the Xbox-Short, i.e. Xbox Short but no Hard-disk drive inside though that could be the solution for them.

I really hope this does well because although this takes a shit all over "teh hardcore" I am REALLY keen about Dance Central because it's something that ACTUALLY gets me interested in exercise!!! Plus it may help cure me of my stereotypical whiteboy dance moves.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The Cheezy One said:
£200?
what the hell?
Why is it more expensive in England?
i know it wouldnt be cheaper, but i would think that £ 149 is over the top
i was considering it, but unless its actually £199, then no
While normally I'd agree I'd blame politics. While people are being a lot more polite about it than say when Japan raised the price of RAM through the roof many moons ago (for example), there is basically an America Vs. Europe/EU trade war on.

Simply put Europe wants to somehow become the dominant global force again (economically if nothing else), and the Euro and Dollar are in direct head to head competition, along with any other currencies in the region that can enter into the equasion.

This is what's behind a lot of the forecasting and back and forth, with people talking about "the fall of the dollar", and not too long ago I was watching a movie where a villain snidely said he wanted his payoff in Euros because "The Dollar isn't what it used to be". Can't remember what movie it was.

The bottom line is that I expect it to get even worse over there, and truthfully I figure America is going to feel the crunch as well over time when what exports are sent over this way are also inflated.

Interestingly it will be worth seeing how Japan weighs in and what the pricing is like, though given that Japan is pretty much under constant US occupation, I'd imagine it will be similar with the new Sony toys being more expensive in Europe than the US as well, but that's a guess because Japan has played economic games before.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
Good god people, quit slagging something off based upon a price that is probably just a guess by a retailer. It's highly unlikely that internet pricing this far away from launch is anything more than speculation.

That said, I'd still happily pay around the £100 mark. Let's be reasonable, you only need one for multiple players, so £100 is already not far off the price of 4 controllers. If we make the most obvious comparison, that would be significantly cheaper than 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks and a wii fit bundle. That's pretty reasonable pricing if you ask me, especially if they throw in software to sweeten the deal. Sure, I'd prefer a £50 price point, but I can't argue with £100-£150 if I'm being rational about it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
A peripheral costs as much as the Wii? What the hell? It costs as much as a whole other console...And without any actual games, short of what Peter Molyneaux is probably going to jam down our throats sometime during this week, there's not much promise of buying it. Even then, I can't see very many serious games wanting to use the system...

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
DRD 1812 said:
I agree that $150 is probably too high for a serious adoption rate, but what people (including Mr. Funk) are forgetting is that one Kinect allows four people to play right out of the box. To put that in perspective each Wiimote without the Motion Plus or nunchuck is $40. You get one remote & nunchuck with your standard Wii bundle. So,

Xbox- $300 + Kinect $150 = $450

Wii- $200 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 + Wiimote $40 = $320

If you get Motion Plus controllers it's an extra $10 per controller= $350.

If you get a nunchuck for each controller it's an extra $15 per controller= $395.

Still less expensive than a Slim + Kinetic bundle but, "more than twice the current price of the Wii," isn't exactly accurate given what each hardware bundle allows you to do.
To get similiar functionality, you also need to factor in the Wii Balance Board.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Even at 99 its a big ask to add on for...what exactly. This has to have a killer ap to move this thing. Microsoft have a big mountain to climb with this peripheral, I'll be very impressed if this succeeds.

killgannon

Jan 19, 2009
That's ridiculous, I currently have one pre-ordered here in the Uk but if that's the price at launch then I'm going to cancel it.

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
When it was rumored to be 50$, I was all like "HELLZ YEAH!"
When it was rumored to be 100$, I was all like "Meh, still gonna get it to try it out"
But 150$? Fuck that...

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Kinect = (Wii speak) + (Eyetoy (improved))
so using this very true formula (prove me wrong) the thing at most should cost $50

Two Angels said:
There's a Star Wars game for it.... Might just swing it for me if it's any good.
ehemm
Gameplay will suck (for reference i've played so many games now that just looking a trailers i can with 95% accuracy call things correctly from past experiences) its just moving side to side blocking laser bullets, and cutting storm troopers (which if this had any gameplay footage in it(i hope not) are some of the most unchallenging enemies I've ever seen) and to move forward you put your hands to the side and push off on air. i hate to say it but the gameplay from first glance is going to be horrible the story might be good though.

Now back to the pricing
if this thing costs that $149 I'm willing to call this right now
the verdict at that price point is a resounding EPIC FAIL because I cant not see anyone but people with to much money buying it and in this recession thats not alot of people.
also why use the new interface when it'll be quicker to just use the thumb sticks.
on a side note if anyone does get this, i would like to know if you say "Xbox Rrod" if it'll brick.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
armageddon74400 said:
When it was rumored to be 50$, I was all like "HELLZ YEAH!"
When it was rumored to be 100$, I was all like "Meh, still gonna get it to try it out"
But 150$? Fuck that...
here here