Rumor: Kinect Priced at $149

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
a peripheral that might cost almost 4 times the games that use it? No thanks, I can live without Fable3

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Treblaine said:
People spent $500 to $800 on a freaking iPAD!!! (people spent up to £700 = $1000 in UK)

I really hope this does well because although this takes a shit all over "teh hardcore" I am REALLY keen about Dance Central because it's something that ACTUALLY gets me interested in exercise!!! Plus it may help cure me of my stereotypical whiteboy dance moves.
although i haven't played it i heard theres a game called Just Dance for the Wii which is exactly the same thing. i'm sorry to say it but heres the breakdown.
the first game is HD Nintendogs, next was there Wii Sports, then the Kart Racer that looked lackluster at most, the adventure game that is similar to the breakout game they demoed last year and familiar to every eyetoy game, the exercise game thats Wii Fit, then Harmonixs game that from what i heard is a rip off of Just Dance, I'm sorry to say it but none of these games from what i can tell is original in any sense of the word. and believe it or not i like the 360 and own at least 120 games for it so this saddens me. I can only hope Sony does not disappoint me tomorrow, i know Nintendo will so not gonna mention them.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
I'm sure they'll do a bundle with the Kinect and the "Slim." Say what you will about Micro$oft, but they're not stupid. They won't personally derail their huge thingy. I'm sure that rumor price is right though. Personally, I think it's cheap by MS standards. It's only $50 more than the soon-to-be defunct Network Adaptor, and this thing is a fancy Motion Controller from the cocking future! Sure, the NA is overpriced, but this is still relatively tame. But like I said, MS will put a budle together for the holiday. Say, $375 for the whole shabang. Kinect, the new 360, and some (probably shitty) Kinect titles thrown in for free. IT COULD BE WORSE.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
This had either better be a joke, or part of some special trick. Like a package deal with the Slim, or coupled with games, or... or something. The Slim has me interested in getting a 360, but damned if I'll shell out half the price over again to get the Eyetoy 360 when for that price I can just buy some games I've been lusting after.

JakBandit2208

Jun 11, 2009
I'm sorry but I didn't want it before hearing the price but to pay that much for it is crazy.... these companies need to realize we are in a recession.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
You know it's bad if the company selling it tries to kill it. We can throw this in with that extra HD-DVD thing. It'll sell a bit but ultimately die.
Edit:
Puddle Jumper said:
I think they just shot themselves in the foot

with a bazooka
So they're trying to rocket jump?

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Therumancer said:
The Cheezy One said:
£200?
what the hell?
Why is it more expensive in England?
i know it wouldnt be cheaper, but i would think that £ 149 is over the top
i was considering it, but unless its actually £199, then no
While normally I'd agree I'd blame politics. While people are being a lot more polite about it than say when Japan raised the price of RAM through the roof many moons ago (for example), there is basically an America Vs. Europe/EU trade war on.

Simply put Europe wants to somehow become the dominant global force again (economically if nothing else), and the Euro and Dollar are in direct head to head competition, along with any other currencies in the region that can enter into the equasion.

This is what's behind a lot of the forecasting and back and forth, with people talking about "the fall of the dollar", and not too long ago I was watching a movie where a villain snidely said he wanted his payoff in Euros because "The Dollar isn't what it used to be". Can't remember what movie it was.

The bottom line is that I expect it to get even worse over there, and truthfully I figure America is going to feel the crunch as well over time when what exports are sent over this way are also inflated.

Interestingly it will be worth seeing how Japan weighs in and what the pricing is like, though given that Japan is pretty much under constant US occupation, I'd imagine it will be similar with the new Sony toys being more expensive in Europe than the US as well, but that's a guess because Japan has played economic games before.
makes sense, but the dollar has come off relatively well after the recession, meaning the pound is worth less to the dollar than 5 years ago. unless there is some kind of delay before the dollar gets hit, then the dollar might be coming back up
all of what you says makes sense, but it cant be stretched to a double pricing.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
Treblaine said:
People spent $500 to $800 on a freaking iPAD!!! (people spent up to £700 = $1000 in UK)

I really hope this does well because although this takes a shit all over "teh hardcore" I am REALLY keen about Dance Central because it's something that ACTUALLY gets me interested in exercise!!! Plus it may help cure me of my stereotypical whiteboy dance moves.
although i haven't played it i heard theres a game called Just Dance for the Wii which is exactly the same thing. i'm sorry to say it but heres the breakdown.
the first game is HD Nintendogs, next was there Wii Sports, then the Kart Racer that looked lackluster at most, the adventure game that is similar to the breakout game they demoed last year and familiar to every eyetoy game, the exercise game thats Wii Fit, then Harmonixs game that from what i heard is a rip off of Just Dance, I'm sorry to say it but none of these games from what i can tell is original in any sense of the word. and believe it or not i like the 360 and own at least 120 games for it so this saddens me. I can only hope Sony does not disappoint me tomorrow, i know Nintendo will so not gonna mention them.
Sorry, but the Wii's Just Dance doesn't interest me, it only roughly follows the position of the wii+ nunchuck in space, it would be too easy to "cheat" and it would just... not for me

This Dance Central is clearly tracking your whole body, your knees, elbows, shoulders.

If Dance Central is a ripoff of Just Dance then every FPS game EVER MADE is a rip-off of Quake. Don't act like every game has to be 100% original - a revolution - and draw NOTHING from other games. Sometimes simple doing the same "essential thing" but just doing it BETTER is worthy enough.

Critics talk about originality but the end the users just want products that WORK! There is no infringement on intellectual property here, Dance Central takes the reasonable idea that anybody could have (Dance based video game) and approach it in a completely different way.

No doubt this saddens hardcore Xbox 360 owners because there is nothing here for you. I have a cheap 360-Arcade but only for the odd exclusive, it is a casual console for me. PC is my hardcore platform*

*that's what she said.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
This is what's behind a lot of the forecasting and back and forth, with people talking about "the fall of the dollar", and not too long ago I was watching a movie where a villain snidely said he wanted his payoff in Euros because "The Dollar isn't what it used to be". Can't remember what movie it was.
Quantum of Solace... spoken by the worst Bond Villain in 30 years.

God damn it, it was presumptive shit like that which made the film unbearable, didn't help that the director was the biggest liberal douchebag you'd ever have to misfortune to meet WHY he was chones for a James Bond film, might as well have given Oliver Stone the project. Plus there is nothign sexy about Euros, just brings to mind obsessive European market control and monitoring.

You get the impression if you are paid in Dollars there are so many back channels and illegal activity using it you can easily spend it without getting caught.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
$150 dollars is not a lot of money, regardless of what the 15 year olds that populate gaming forums seem to think.

As an adult with disposable income, I reckon the choice to purchase or not comes distinctly down to what sort of entertainment/enjoyment the peripheral will offer me. So far I haven't seen anything that has actually made me interested in the system at all, and such I wouldn't purchase the product even if it was a third of this price.

However, if a "killer app" gets released for the Kinect, then yeah sure - I'll grab one. I mean really people, get a grip. Gaming is still by far one of the most affordable hobbies out there (especially for consoles and a good rental store nearby for media). I've spent more money on a concert ticket (2 hrs of enjoyment) than I have on games that have given me hundreds of hours of fun.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I sense this failing miserably... That's just too much money. No matter how many fitness games they try to sucker in people's moms with, it's just not going to do well. The Wii sold well because it was the cheapest console on the market, had casual and fitness games, and because you didn't already need another console to play it with. Microsoft only seems to be getting one of these down.

Jake Martinez said:
$150 dollars is not a lot of money, regardless of what the 15 year olds that populate gaming forums seem to think.

As an adult with disposable income, I reckon the choice to purchase or not comes distinctly down to what sort of entertainment/enjoyment the peripheral will offer me. So far I haven't seen anything that has actually made me interested in the system at all, and such I wouldn't purchase the product even if it was a third of this price.

However, if a "killer app" gets released for the Kinect, then yeah sure - I'll grab one. I mean really people, get a grip. Gaming is still by far one of the most affordable hobbies out there (especially for consoles and a good rental store nearby for media). I've spent more money on a concert ticket (2 hrs of enjoyment) than I have on games that have given me hundreds of hours of fun.
It is for something like this. You could get a DS or a PSP for cheaper and I can guarantee that either would give you more hours for your money. And this really isn't a place to brag about how much money you make... it really doesn't matter. There's no reason to throw money around just because you can and what this looks like is a failed experiment. Even if you would pay that much, not everyone else will.

And what concert was $150+ for only 2 and a half hours? I just went to a concert on Sunday that was nearly 6 hours long for $10...

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd pay $300 for a console, and plan on doing it again for a PS3, but I would never pay $150 for a peripheral. Unless it had a serious number of quality games that required it. Not even "Elder Scrolls 5 is Kinect Exclusive" would make me buy on. Okay...maybe that would...
I reckon TES swordplay, magic and archery could all work with Kinect. I wouldn't mind if it was just for the combat, nothing else though.

OT: Thats like £80 right? That's not too bad. I might get one if it comes bundled with the slim 360.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
$150 does sound a bit steep. I can't imagine what it will sell for in Australian dollars. In any case, I've planned from the beginning to manipulate my mother into buying one; she almost bought a Wii a while back. I reckon I could convince her to get the Kinect.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Treblaine said:
Gamegodtre said:
Treblaine said:

Sorry, but the Wii's Just Dance doesn't interest me, it only roughly follows the position of the wii+ nunchuck in space, it would be too easy to "cheat" and it would just... not for me

This Dance Central is clearly tracking your whole body, your knees, elbows, shoulders.

If Dance Central is a ripoff of Just Dance then every FPS game EVER MADE is a rip-off of Quake. Don't act like every game has to be 100% original - a revolution - and draw NOTHING from other games. Sometimes simple doing the same "essential thing" but just doing it BETTER is worthy enough.

Critics talk about originality but the end the users just want products that WORK! There is no infringement on intellectual property here, Dance Central takes the reasonable idea that anybody could have (Dance based video game) and approach it in a completely different way.

No doubt this saddens hardcore Xbox 360 owners because there is nothing here for you. I have a cheap 360-Arcade but only for the odd exclusive, it is a casual console for me. PC is my hardcore platform*

*that's what she said.
ehemm
i think you mean Wolfinstein, Doom, or Duke Nukem and if you really wanna go old old school Maze War for the FPS (all Four came old before Quake)

personally i could care less about originality, as for the hardcore you sir are wrong Imagine what they could do with Rockband(literally put you in the game).

Also was really wrong bout Nintendo

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
There's been what, three rumors about the pricing so far? Each increasingly more expensive? We've seen this thing labeled anywhere from $50 to $150.

Methinks that all the rumors need to go shut the hell up until Microsoft ACTUALLY announces the price themselves.

The Move is what, $60? I think I'd be willing to pay up to $70-80 for this thing provided that the games coming out at launch (other than Dance Central, which already has taken my heart) are any good.