Rumor: Mass Effect 3 Getting "Better with Kinect"

zombiesinc

One day, we'll wake the zombies
Mar 29, 2010
As cool as Kinect is, I'd never buy it or truly enjoy playing with it. I can appreciate the technology behind it, but that's all.

Now gimme Mass Effect 3, dammit!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
AgentBJ09 said:
If this is 'enhanced' by Kinect, here's some things I hope work with it attached to my system...

1. - Voice recognition for dialogue selection. This is pretty much a no-brainer. This IS an RPG after all. Give us some way to speak the selection, then have the NPC respond.

2. - Face mapping. This would only really work if Bioware allows for placement of the face for old PCs within Mass Effect 1, or for new PCs in Mass Effect 3.

3. - Combat orders. Again, a no-brainer, and if used right it would keep combat fast. Tom Clancy's Endwar showed how you could do it well, so follow that example.

4. - Interactive environment. While simple, using your hands to operate keyboards or keypads within the game is still more interesting than using the analog stick or directional pad.
Stuff like this is what I'm hoping for. On the other hand, if they do something like bringing the Mako back for some fun family-orientated minigames I will fucking explode.

AMAZED said:
Im sure you can chose not to use kinect it isn't that big of a deal calm down everybody.
It's the date being pushed back that's pissing everyone off. It seems, judging by the article and by logic, that the game was pushed back specifically to include the Kinect functions.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Rumor: Mass Effect 3 Getting "Better with Kinect"

I find it really hard to imagine shooting Collectors in the face while standing and pointing at the screen, so perhaps BioWare is experimenting with using Kinect for some other nefarious purpose.
Why do you have trouble with "standing and pointing at the screen?" I would rather do that than sit.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
B-Lavaunit said:
It is reactions like this that make outside people think that gamers are immature and have entitlement issues
For realz?

Frankly, it's the #1 reason why I never count myself amongst the 'gamer' community. Then again, I wouldn't say it's just gamers that have entitlement issues. It's every consumer on this freaking planet, full stop. And just watch how every argument made for that is always defeated by "I paid my hard earned money for this! I deserve it!" and neglect the fact that a million other people did just as well and are just as entitled as you are.

I don't like Kinect. But I understand if others might like to try it out with ME3, so hey - a month or two more waiting? Fine by me. The world won't end during that time.

But keep the hate train going. It's hilarious.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
You know what would be a cool minigame, where you had to search a room in a time limit and you actually had to mime picking up objects and tossing them around to find what you are looking for.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I always said we won't know how hard Kinnect would flop until they made a core game use it.

I'm sad that Mass Effect 3 has to be the test dummy.

Hey but now my expectations are digging holes on rock bottom so I suppose anything will be better that I'm expecting.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Luthir Fontaine said:
And people laughed at me when I paid money for Kinect well look who laughing now!
The same people are still laughing at you.

Sorry but it's true.

Mass Effect 3 will still work with a controller so. Hahahaha

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Err...not really sure how you'd use Kinect in an RPG, and that stripe of purple kind of ruins the box art.

Does anyone else think Shep looks like a ninja, or is that just me?

AndyCobra

May 28, 2009
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YKss2uYpih8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Am I the only one who thought "awesome, hope it comes to Move as well"? It's Bioware, they haven't made a truly bad game yet.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
So now people can wave their arms to pick from the conversation wheel
great

wake me up when there's a shit to give

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
More interested in the Omni-Tool blade.

I can't imagine fighting the Reapers while looking like a tree that is being blown away due to Garrus' calibrations...

circularlogic88

Knower of Nothing
Oct 9, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Apparently, the folks at BioWare have been cooking something that all hardcore Mass Effect fans have been clamoring for: Kinect support.
Source: Destructoid [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432108]
Funny, I don't ever recall wanting Kinect support... or wanting Kinect to be in existence for that matter... in fact, I'd be hard pressed to find ANY hardcore Mass Effect fan who gives a toss about the Kinect.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
bombadilillo said:
Yopaz said:
bombadilillo said:
Fayathon said:
All things considered though, a motion based shooter done right sounds like a whole lot of fun to me, though I suspect that it will be some years before we see a real gem come to fruition.
It was called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroid_Prime_3:_Corruption

I don't know why other shooters on wii always sucked when perfect examples were out there...
Then again there might be more, I stopped trying to play them.
Try Resident Evil 4 for Wii. That actually (in my opinion) improved the controls a lot.

OT: I can't see this working out that well... maybe just because I don't have that much insight in how Kinect works at all. I never bothered to get it since I would have to knock down a wall and play it in my neighbour's room. Could be awesome, could be a tragedy.
Ah, also a good example. I played both GC and wii versions of that great game and wow. I could never go back. Im not a fan of the duel stick shooter in any case. I have gotten fine with it over the years. But mouse and keyboard fllowed by proper motion controls are better imho
Yeah, I enjoyed the freedom of playing it with a wiimote so much. With some practice I was able to aim just as well as I do when I use mouse and keyaboard, but since I actually was aiming at things I felt more into the game that way.

Thanatos5150

Apr 20, 2009
Firstly, ladies and gentlemen crying that it had "Better be optional.":
I have seen stickers that say"Requires Kinect" and "Better with Kinect". The fact that the (possibly fake) box art says "Better with" points directly at Optional.

After playing through DA2 multiple times, I fail to see the removal of RPG elements people keeping complaining about (Unless they mean the copy-pasted dungeons. People talking about the copy-pasted dungeons need to be slapped, as copy-pasted dungeons are everywhere, and are not counter to RPG elements at all.), and continue to hope for and expect good things from ME3.

I fail to see how Kinect can be smoothly integrated into the game, personally. Face capture is one thing, but that's not exactly much of an integration. I can see head/shoulders movements possibly being "important" for the added features. Maybe a weapon swap, squaddie command or other little quirky combat trick. The problem with that is, I know I fidget a lot whilst playing video games, and that other people do as well. Doesn't strike me as a good idea that a possibly-incidental motion could totally break my flow and/or strategy. This all being said, I'm pretty sure the game designers are smarter than I am.

Personally, I'm curious to see what Bioware and EA would do with Kinect functionality, but seeing as, even if the rumour is true, said functionality would be optional, I'm not predicting a big hit to gameplay.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Flame shields up everyone. This is gonna be a doozy!

"Better with no bugs" would be preferable.
Tell me about it. Between this and the continued "stream-lining" (read: dumbing down) of this series, I really don't think I will even play ME3.

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
Mikeyfell said:
Luthir Fontaine said:
And people laughed at me when I paid money for Kinect well look who laughing now!
The same people are still laughing at you.

Sorry but it's true.

Mass Effect 3 will still work with a controller so. Hahahaha
But i paid so much money for it O_O only game ive got for it is dance central!

Magicman10893

Aug 3, 2009
I think this would make the game worse. To the person that said how we always dismissed motion controls as casual games and were waiting for hardcore games, this is not what we wanted. We want hardcore games designed from the ground up for motion controls, like what Red Steel on the Wii was supposed to be. We don't want hardcore games that have already been established to have motion controls shoehorned in and just make a big clusterfuck like the multiplayer in San Andreas was. Besides, I don't even like motion controls to begin with. They are a gimmick that needs to wither and die like the recent return of 3D movies.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
PettingZOOPONY said:
Isn't this what gamers are screaming for, innovation? You console guys are starting to look more and more like jaded PC gamers when their core IP's got changed. Screw you guys who don't like this I would rather them try something and fail than keep coming out with the same old garbage. And its not like it is required to play the game anyways.
And it's not like motion control is required for innovation. It's a bad idea, a poor innovation, and should have been abandoned. We want innovations in gameplay and story, not a glitchy system of control that would still suck even without bugs, because it increases delay between thought and on-screen action.