Rumor: More Evidence Suggests Always-Online For Next Xbox

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
havoc33 said:
If this really is the case, then at least they are forced to support their old platform for a loooong time, otherwise it would not be legal for them to sell any consoles towards the end of its cycle.

Either way, all this is very concerning. I'm proud of my gaming collection, and I love to fire up an old system now and then for some proper retro gaming. Needless to say, I'm not keen on buying loads of games for a system that might not be playable in 10-12 years time.
Why wouldn't it be legal?
AFAIK EA's ToS state that they can shutdown any server with 30 day notice. MS can do the same.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Calling it now: It will require a permanent internet connection, but STILL HAVE NO BLOODY INTEGRATED WLAN.

You'll have to buy that as a peripheral for 80?/100$, of course.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Well this is fucking bull shit. As time goes on it's looking more and more unappealing getting one of these. If this is true I won't be getting one.

And having an always online connection so "software and games are always current"? What the hell? I don't think I've ever heard a more obvious line of corporate spin. Who the fuck cares about being "current"? I don't care about that shit, I just want to play what I want!

Having to wait for updates to install is a very minor price to pay to not have my gaming turned in to an oppressive totalitarian state. Fuck you Microsoft.

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
Steven Bogos said:

"will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

Um, okay, I think I'm reading this differently (or maybe just optimistically), but that to me sounds like it means it'll be online while switched off. Not necessarily forced to be online. That bit about 'no waiting' etc, having a forced connection wouldn't affect that.. But the xbox being able to download and update while not in use / powered down would.

Just me?

Yarpie

Jun 24, 2010
I'm almost more turned off by the always connected Kinect, but yeah, if this is true then this is a no go for me. Makes the PS4 look like a bastion of openness and consumer trust.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kirov Reporting said:
Steven Bogos said:

"will always maintain a network connection so that console software and games are always current. With this 'Always On, Always Connected' design, users will quickly and easily enjoy their connected entertainment experiences, with no waiting for the console to restart or install updates."

Um, okay, I think I'm reading this differently (or maybe just optimistically), but that to me sounds like it means it'll be online while switched off. Not necessarily forced to be online. That bit about 'no waiting' etc, having a forced connection wouldn't affect that.. But the xbox being able to download and update while not in use / powered down would.

Just me?
I agree with you! I said:

The wording of the sure-to-be-controversial "always-online" statement doesn't suggest that internet is mandatory for it to work, but may be talking about always having an internet connection so that it can download and update even when in the off or standby mode.

Kirov Reporting

Jan 12, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Kirov Reporting said:
Steven Bogos said:

I agree with you! I said:

The wording of the sure-to-be-controversial "always-online" statement doesn't suggest that internet is mandatory for it to work, but may be talking about always having an internet connection so that it can download and update even when in the off or standby mode.
My God I feel stupid now! Apologies for not reading the whole thing properly before running my mouth, but for what it's worth it looks like our interpretation is soundly in the minority - it appears everyone around here is primed and ready for opportunities to say it'll be the worst thing ever. I'm not quite ready to make that judgement just yet.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
And again I am glad to be a PC gamer. They're upgradable, the games are cheaper in the long run and the computer can do more. If the rumours are true the MS have lost quite a few customers.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Costia said:
havoc33 said:
If this really is the case, then at least they are forced to support their old platform for a loooong time, otherwise it would not be legal for them to sell any consoles towards the end of its cycle.

Either way, all this is very concerning. I'm proud of my gaming collection, and I love to fire up an old system now and then for some proper retro gaming. Needless to say, I'm not keen on buying loads of games for a system that might not be playable in 10-12 years time.
Why wouldn't it be legal?
AFAIK EA's ToS state that they can shutdown any server with 30 day notice. MS can do the same.
Obviously, Microsoft would have to issue a warning at least over a year before shutting down. Not even Microsoft can get away with having people buying expensive hardware with one year warranty only to render it useless within 30 days.

In any case, I'm waiting for official confirmation until I believe this. Always online in the way that you cannot play your games without being connected sounds too extreme. In the end it doesn't matter all that much to me, as I've already decided that I'm going for a Sony/Nintendo combination next gen. I hate Kinect, and it seems like their strategy going forward is not to create the ultimately gaming console, but this all in one entertainment system box, which doesn't sound attractive to me at all. We're already seing some developers issue their concerns about this already as well, and have jumped ship to Sony. Bottom line, Microsoft will have to come up with many more exclusives than Halo and Gears in order to convince me to buy their system again. Seriously, my 360 is collecting dust at this point, I only use it for some online FIFA. For the rest, all the good stuff I'm playing is on the PS3 or Wii.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Always on you say? said what?

people will buy it, and use it, like the good sheep that they are.

and there will be no market crash. the gaming industry is too decentralized for that. beside, all it cna do is bring back the days PC ruled the world.

luvd1 said:
Oh Microsoft. What hapened to you? You used to be cool man....
Microsoft was never cool.

Doclector said:
Microsoft need to wake up and fucking say something. All these rumours flying around, people need confirmation. The silent treatment is not working and never will work, especially now sony have got the first word in, and although I personally wasn't blown away by the PS4, nothing offended me with that like the prospect of always on DRM making it to consoles.
Actually it is working. we are talking about it. free advertisement.
The_Echo said:
Always online? Well, that's gonna suck major ass for people with bad Internet connections.
Or maybe people with bad itnernet connections will finally wake up and start demanding their ISP to stop charging them a fortune for some crap connection that became obsolete 20 years ago....

Domogo said:
Lets think about this: 1.this console is going to last 8 damn years 2.Games take a shit ton of space and they keep going up 3. A lot of games come out in 8 years. I think you all can see where I am going with this.
your inability to delete games you dont play anymore? the part of my hard drive dedicated to games take around 120 GB currently. I have more video than games stacked on my 2x250GB HDDs. Its not like every game will take 50 GB. most games take 8-16 GB and if they put in the now standart for PC 1 TB drive thats 100 games. is 100 games at the same time not enough? and thats considering its all AAA games, indie ones take far less space.
The install necessity is fully understandable. the size these games are getting it is simply impossible for a blue ray player to read the drive fast enough.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
As long as the installation is sequenced properly, there is no reason that you wouldn't be able to run a game after the first few gigs are installed. All they'd need is the game engine, and the sounds, textures, and 3D models that are used in the first level of the game.

Fuck the always online requirement, though. And that Kinect sensor is getting pointed toward the wall with epoxy put in the microphone holes.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
As bad as this sounds, I know idiots will still buy it.

"Who cares if I'm being fucked in the ass by Microsoft?! I GET MY SHINY GAMES YAY!"

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I thought that consoles didn't have the piracy problems as the PC, and it's why they didn't have DRM? Oh well, it seems I won't be missing much out from the consoles after all.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
It's also gonna have a small HDD and require a proprietary connection port meaning you have to buy microsoft (AND ONLY MICROSOFT) replacements if you want expansion.

TO be hnest if it does that just means I'm not touching the damn thing, hopefully it crashes and burns and we get some PC games out of them again.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Pfft, seriously? Who would believe this? No matter what you think about Microsoft, no company is stupid enough to make an entire CONSOLE always online.
Rubbish.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can't wait for confirmation on this one! If just one of those three are requirements than Microsoft has officially lost me as a customer. Well for the most part: I'll gladly continue to play my older games on the original Xbox.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
If true, this will be Sony's chance to crush Microsoft in the console market. I mean if Durango does have anything remotely like the DRM that Diablo 3 and SimCity had, Microsoft would be putting the gun to their own head and saying,"hey Sony please come and help me pull the trigger".

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
Diablo 3 did quite well in spite of all of the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth. Hell, even Simcity - despite being actively customer-hostile - apparently had the best launch (in terms of sales, mind) of any Simcity game [http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/18/simcity-sells-1-1m-units-despite-server-problems-at-launch/]. Gamers seem to be okay with "always on".

I want to get excited for new hardware, but this time around I'm thinking more wait and see. I'll end up getting something, I know myself better than to claim I won't, but there's a lot going on here I need to digest before jumping in.