Rumor: New WoW: Cataclysm Playable Races Leaked

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: New WoW: Cataclysm Playable Races Leaked

Evidence is piling up that Blizzard's mysterious Cataclysm is the next expansion for World of Warcraft and that it will include, apparently, two new playable races.

In early July, it was reported that PC titan Blizzard had filed a mysterious trademark for something called heavy metal MMOG starring Ozzy Osbourne [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92838-Blizzard-Trademarks-Trio-of-Cataclysms] aside, the pieces seem to be falling into place, and it's looking more and more likely that Cataclysm will be the next expansion pack to the MMOG scene's proverbial 800-lb gorilla, World of Warcraft.

Later in July, some enterprising dataminers found some very interesting information in the latest patch files - brand-new Halloween masks [http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=79546.0] for not just male and female Goblins, but also male and female Worgen (for those of you not familiar with Warcraft lore, Worgen are essentially werewolves). Incidentally, this would be the first-ever appearance of female Worgen in the four-and-a-half-years since WoW went live.

Now, WoW.com [http://www.wow.com/2009/08/10/cataclysm-races-leaked/] reports that "multiple sources close to the situation" have confirmed the two new playable races. The Goblins of Undermine will be throwing that pesky neutrality to the wind (well, some of them, anyway) and signing up with the Horde, while the feral Worgen will join the Alliance.

The latter of which isn't quite as strange as it seems - it's long been hinted that the populace of the isolated city-state of Gilneas has been afflicted with the Worgen curse, and these details would fit in nicely with an official tease [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=16137074461&pageNo=1&sid=1#4] that Gilneas' Greymane Wall would be opening up sooner than we think: "The consequences could be disastrous! We'd be absolutely out of our minds to ever do such a thing......"

Again, this is all just rumor and speculation, but it's looking increasingly likely that Blizzard will have something up their sleeve next weekend at BlizzCon '09 - and we'll be right there to report on it!

And, the predictable whining about Alliance getting furries starts in 5... 4... 3...

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
*sigh* Do really need more WoW??? And why in the hell is the Alliance getting furries, can Blizzard not see that furries are not wanted?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I seriously doubt worgen will be a race let alone an alliance race, considering how awfully racist the humans are. And I remember them releasing a handful more masks a few days after mmo champ had this story. Goblins, however remain a possibility because blizz has clothed them in tier gear several times (on the tournament realms) and they didn't look half bad.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
not a zaar said:
The game that won't die continues not dying.
Should it die?

I've always looked at WoW as the shining example of quality control. They force all other competition to actually do something new and fresh.

I wish we had that sort of thing in the FPS world or RPG world. Maybe then I wouldn't be playing a bunch of less impressive copies of the N64 game "Perfect Dark". Seriously. You throw in vehicles to that game and its a graphically inferior but overall superior version of the most acclaimed games in modern FPS world.

Course the sequel could die in a fire but that's how it often goes.

I like when games force a change, they create an atmosphere where "shovelware" just won't survive. You want to make an MMO? Sure go for it, but if its the same bullshit people will drop it for WoW.

Every other genre doesn't have this yet and because of it all they get are graphical enhancements while gameplay falls into the shitter.

WoW isn't perfect...AT ALL...but it does a good service to the community. It makes making bullshit much more difficult.

Note: I'm sure people are going to assault this point of view but that's the internet ;).

Rednog said:
I seriously doubt worgen will be a race let alone an alliance race, considering how awfully racist the humans are. And I remember them releasing a handful more masks a few days after mmo champ had this story. Goblins, however remain a possibility because blizz has clothed them in tier gear several times (on the tournament realms) and they didn't look half bad.
The fact they never added a Neutral race disappointed me. It is very easy to create a shallow war game story, which they ended up doing. When you add in a third party "The scissors to the otherwise dull game of rock vs. Paper." it puts in a paradigm that helps keep things rather on edge.

Murloc, Goblin, Ogre, The energy Aliens (name eludes me), and the Walrus folks (name eludes me) would be perfect. They all have instances of nuetrility and all have tribes that can speak both languages.

This also gives you roughly the correct heights to match the other races.

Plus frankly its 5 of the more entertaining races in the entire game. Maybe not those alien things, but the other 4 have kept me smiling pretty consistently when I read what they say.

But alas, one thing I may not see till a Warhammer 40k game is made is a universe where its not just Red Vs. Blue. Though for a RVB game it is at least playable :p.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I might go back to wow for a month or so if this is true... damn you blizzard!

Ursus Astrorum

Mar 20, 2008
I don't really see the big deal about the worgen. Seriously, you're complaining about furries just now coming to WoW after the horde has had native american cows on their side since day one?

Either way, I finally have a reason to go alliance. Yay, anthropomorphics!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Michael_McCloud said:
I don't really see the big deal about the worgen. Seriously, you're complaining about furries just now coming to WoW after the horde has had native american cows on their side since day one?
People just need a reason to *****. Since frankly life is otherwise pretty peachy for them :p.

hansari

May 31, 2009
NekoiHiokans said:
*sigh* Do really need more WoW??? And why in the hell is the Alliance getting furries, can Blizzard not see that furries are not wanted?
There tapping into a brand new market...of furries lovers...
theultimateend said:
Note: I'm sure people are going to assault this point of view but that's the internet ;).
I just wish they would continue the singleplayer storyline...Warcarft4 anyone?

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
unacomn said:
Great, furries. Now everyone from Second Life will join the alliance.
I fail to see why this is a problem? Alliance and Furries seems like a perfectly normal course of action. And honestly I would prefer that everyone from Second Life join the Alliance instead of the Horde. That way we can slaughter all of them and take fluffy tails as trophies.

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
Ive never been a fan of WoW. They took a good RTS and an amazing world and they sent it to furry hell.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
It is my hope that no Dalaran wizard seeks out the Worgen, even if done in light conscious. For no pact may be struck, no secrets may be learned, no good can come from these beasts. They are best left to their world. For if found in ours and not destroyed, our peril will be dire...
I'm going to go bludgeon someone now, and if that doesn't work I'm going to take a clown hostage.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
hansari said:
NekoiHiokans said:
There tapping into a brand new market...of furries lovers...
theultimateend said:
I just wish they would continue the singleplayer storyline...Warcarft4 anyone?
I'd be all for a Warcraft 4 or a Starcraft MMO. Either would help satiate my desire for Blizzard games.

People may bash them all they want but personally I've had nothing but good experiences with Blizzard. Which is extremely rare. The only other companies I could say that about have all been absorbed by EA and thusly no longer exist.

*cries over Westwood as he rubs his old CnC games against his naked body*

A company so utterly destroyed by EA that (probably still) their name is censored and they will ban you for bringing them up. I got banned twice just for saying I missed them as a passing comment :p.

Delmar Wynn said:
unacomn said:
Great, furries. Now everyone from Second Life will join the alliance.
I fail to see why this is a problem? Alliance and Furries seems like a perfectly normal course of action. And honestly I would prefer that everyone from Second Life join the Alliance instead of the Horde. That way we can slaughter all of them and take fluffy tails as trophies.
Most hardcore Second Life players will never leave Second Life. Even if Second Life made a game called Second Second Life.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Im pretty psyched about thte possibilities, but honestly, I have been wanting a new class-races are fine and all, but a whole new skill set would be much more preferable. Though having Worgen on our side would be just spectacular.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
I predicted something along these lines years ago. But with more Alliance furrys and more Horde gankers.

But I guess they'll save Furbolgs and Murlocs for the Emerald Dream. And make both of them able to be Druids.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Yay! Furries!....I mean Blizzard suck and sold their soul 4 and a half years ago.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Sevre90210 said:
Yay! Furries!....I mean Blizzard suck and sold their soul 4 and a half years ago.
Yes because corporations are living entities that have souls.

Damn them for making a successful game that keeps millions of people entertained.

The bastards.