Rumor: New Zelda Will Be Majora's Mask Sequel

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: New Zelda Will Be Majora's Mask Sequel

The internet rumor mill is abuzz with information that the upcoming Legend of Zelda will be a direct sequel to Majora's Mask (and if so, then the beloved Ocarina of Time as well).

In the games industry, there are two types of rumors: There are rumors with some credibility to them that can come from trusted, reliable sources ("The PS3 will see a price drop in August alongside the introduction of a Slim revision") and there are rumors that the internet seems to stir up out of the sheer unbridled imagination of diehard fans ("The next Grand Theft Auto will take place in FF7's Midgar, ZOMG!"). As Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/20/rumor-zelda-wii-to-be-majoras-mask-sequel/] says, these rumors are the latter - so take these with far more salt than you would take usual rumors. Like, an entire can of anchovies' worth of salt.

Information surfaced on Japanese message board Zelda Informer [http://www.2chan.net/]), leaking information about The Wind Waker's plot two months prior to its release.

Even so, though 2chan has been accurate before, we do have to stress that these are absolutely uncorroborated rumors originating from an online image board, so make of them what you will and don't go shouting them as the Gospel Truth just yet.

Here's what the 2chan leak has to say about the next Zelda:

? The game will diverge from the series' traditional dungeon-overworld-dungeon-overworld gameplay style (previously confirmed by Eiji Aonuma)

? Famous southpaw Link will be either right or left-handed depending on the option you select as the player (which seems fitting for a game that uses MotionPlus for swordplay)

? The game's mechanics/swordplay/gameplay are finished, and the team is now working on the story and the game's dungeons. Part of the story will focus on an innkeeper in Link's hometown and her young son, who looks up to our green-clad protagonist.

? The girl in the teaser picture seen here may be either named Adelle, Aderu, or Adella (thanks, Japanese-to-English translation difficulties), though the image in the picture is not her actual face, since this was just concept art. She won't be with Link the entire time, but she'll communicate with him through his sword (in other words, more like the King of Red Lions in Wind Waker than like Midna in Twilight Princess).

? Speaking of the sword, Link may not be getting the series' traditional Master Sword after all. Instead, his weapon will develop and unlock further abilities as the game progresses.

? Mounted combat will be returning, and the horse (referred to as Epona, but that may just be a fan placeholder) will be much more intelligent when it comes to avoiding obstacles.

And finally, here's the big one:

? The game will not take place in Hyrule, but will feature Link as the Hero of Time - also known as the Link that was the protagonist of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (presumably, grown up after being turned back into a child at the end of OoT and adventuring in Termina during Majora's Mask). Time travel will again be involved in some shape or form.
Phew. Some of those are doozies, huh? Again, none of this is confirmed in any way, shape or form whatsoever, so don't go assuming that this is all accurate - though one can't help but wonder if it fits into Iwata's statement [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95914-New-Zelda-Will-Use-Wii-Motion-Plus-For-Swordplay] that it'll show up at this year's E3. Both Iwata and his American counterpart, Reggie Fils-Aime, have said that the game is due by the end of the year.

Are we excited? Or perhaps dismayed?

(Joystiq [http://thewiire.com/blog/post/6183-rumor-new-zelda-wii-details-leaked])

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009

That.....

I'm speechless....

*cries in happiness over this blessing from the gods*

Please let this be true

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
Hmm I will have to wait to see for sure, but Majora's Mask had many enjoyable parts and it can't be worse than windwaker. I personally enjoyed Twilight Princess okay but it wasn't my favorite.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I call bullshit on the whole Majora's Mask sequel thing. I really don't see Nintendo putting out more than one Zelda trilogy.

Also, I hope this isn't true. I hated Majora's Mask.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Why is HUBILUB post number 1? maybe something is wrong with my browser... Anyway I am depressed that it is departing from the usual Zelda formula but I still have high hopes that Nintendo is going to impress me with this.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I see no reason to believe in baseless rumors. I could just as easily say it's rumored to be a sequel to Ocarina of Time and my claim would be just as valid.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, I hope its true. Majora's Mast was my favorite Zelda title.

LeonLethality said:
Why is HUBILUB post number 1? maybe something is wrong with my browser... Anyway I am depressed that it is departing from the usual Zelda formula but I still have high hopes that Nintendo is going to impress me with this.
He finally figured out how to post before the staff.

Eekaida

Jan 13, 2010
This puts me in an awkward position. I hated Majoras Mask - it was the one Zelda game I hated. On the other hand, I love Ocorina of time, which was the prequal to Majoras Mask....

Well, I guess any new Zelda that doesn't follow 'Windwakers' path is a good thing.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
LeonLethality said:
I have grown so incredibly powerful that I now get first post literally!

Or it's just the site

Eekaida

Jan 13, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
I see no reason to believe in baseless rumors. I could just as easily say it's rumored to be a sequel to Ocarina of Time and my claim would be just as valid.
Majora's Mask is the sequel to Ocarina of Time, so technically that would be accurate

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Irridium said:
Well, I hope its true. Majora's Mast was my favorite Zelda title.

LeonLethality said:
He finally figured out how to post before the staff.
I HAVE THE POWER!

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
i hated majoras mask , the wind walker animated link was a bad thing , should of updated ocrina of time , and hopefully navi won't be a pain this time or a jar awaits

yeah i might of spelled the flute thing wrong but you get the title

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Oh please let it be so!!!!

MM was my absolute favorite Zelda and I want it to be really the sequel.

Now all I have to do is buy a Wii.

Anyone know any games that are worth buying a Wii for? I don't want to shell out 200 dollars for one game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
If it is true maybe the crazy Zelda fanboy time line people will have some real evidence to support their arguments :p

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Link? (no pun intended. Link where the rumor started or I call bullshit)
I'm always happy to hear any Zelda news, but thusfar this isn't news and shouldn't be treated as such.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
It might be a bigger deal to me if I played Majora's Mask. As it stands right now, I would rather play a Twilight Princess Sequel.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Oh please let it be so!!!!

MM was my absolute favorite Zelda and I want it to be really the sequel.

Now all I have to do is buy a Wii.

Anyone know any games that are worth buying a Wii for? I don't want to shell out 200 dollars for one game.
No More Heroes

And....

No More Heroes 2