Rumor: Nintendo to Unveil New Hardware at E3 - Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Rumor: Nintendo to Unveil New Hardware at E3 - Update

Multiple sources have allegedly leaked that Nintendo is set to reveal a new hardware at this year's E3, and games compatible with the hardware will supposedly be playable on the show floor.

Update: Issuing a statement to Eurogamer, [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-02-nintendo-denies-reports-of-new-hardware-at-e3-2014] Nintendo has said, "we definitely aren't announcing hardware at this year's E3." So there you have it, folks. Don't expect any new hardware from Nintendo come this June. Unless of course this is a ruse on the company's part, in which case, discuss and speculate away!

Original Story:

Those anticipating a "megaton" at this year's E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) might find something more than they bargained for. According to multiple reports, Nintendo will unveil a new hardware at this year's show. In the latest episode of IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat, [http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/b/a/abaf39db569a0081/Nintendo_Voice_Chat__Get_Ready_for_E3_2014.mp3?c_id=7132642&expiration=1399021316&hwt=6563a3cffe2ff40e40efd3da8e07fb06] IGN editor Jose Otero states, "We've heard rumors that Nintendo might be showing hardware at E3." The rumblings were further corroborated by IGN's Peer Schneider who claims, "They're absolutely going to show new hardware this year...No doubt in my mind that something... 'Cause I've heard from multiple people now. I've heard from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front."

If that wasn't enough to get Nintendo fans talking, Videogamer has also said the same thing [http://www.videogamer.com/news/nintendo_will_reveal_new_hardware_at_e3.html] and the info comes from a "third-party" publishing source. The report adds that "Games compatible with the hardware will also be playable at the show." No word yet on official system specs, what it will be called or when it will be released, though. But it's reported that this new hardware will be composed of two parts: a "Fusion DS" and a "Fusion Terminal," and will be a direct successor to Nintendo's struggling Wii U console.

However, don't go forsaking the Wii U just yet. Over on NeoGAF, [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=811543] IGN's Jose Otero has posted a rather lengthy reply as to why they didn't publish the story in the first place. You can check Otero's entire forum post below.

Hi! I left the message below on the news story linked in the OP, but I figured I should leave it here as well:

I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN.

It's a conversation, and sometimes we get carried away. Peer did make the above argument, but we also framed the discussion around the context that we weren't sure. Unfortunately, the author made no effort to convey that in his news story.

If we believed what we'd heard, you wouldn't have found out about it on another site. We would have run that story ourselves. Just food for thought.

I don't blame anyone for running with it, but omitting that context from the story is pretty shady. Again, I get it. But I'm here to tell you the discussion wasn't as simple as "this is for real, guys!"

When asked for a statement, Nintendo representatives said that it does not comment or rumors or speculations, which could either mean the story's real, or a few sources have been given wrong info. Bear in mind that this is still a rumor and should be treated as such. But with multiple sources saying the same thing, don't be surprised if Nintendo unleashes a new hardware come this June. It's also important to note that "new hardware" could mean anything from a new controller peripheral to a new console altogether. Perhaps a redesign of the Wii U or a new add-on? Your guess is as good as mine at this point. For those curious whether there will be an announcement or not, Nintendo won't actually be holding a press conference at this year's show, and will instead be hosting a live-stream of what they have to offer on June 10.

Do you believe Nintendo will announce a new hardware at this year's show or will it be too soon given that the Wii U was just released in 2012? And if an announcement does happen, what will be the fate of the Wii U? Will it then be safe to say that the console has already failed?

Source: NeoGAF [http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/b/a/abaf39db569a0081/Nintendo_Voice_Chat__Get_Ready_for_E3_2014.mp3?c_id=7132642&expiration=1399021316&hwt=6563a3cffe2ff40e40efd3da8e07fb06]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wouldn't the reveal of new hardware necessitate some type of conference though? So either this is totally false, or Nintendo is simply not going to reveal it at E3, but at their own conference sometime later this year.

Either way, this does seem like a lot of smoke. And I'm sure Nintendo's not so dumb to keep pouring money in a sinking ship.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Wouldn't the reveal of new hardware necessitate some type of conference though? So either this is totally false, or Nintendo is simply not going to reveal it at E3, but at their own conference sometime later this year.

Either way, this does seem like a lot of smoke. And I'm sure Nintendo's not so dumb to keep pouring money in a sinking ship.
Nintendo is doing a live-stream so it's like a conference. xD I'm hoping it's not true. It would piss a lot of Wii U owners off. Although, it could be a new revision of it, or maybe a new 3DS version?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Alex Co said:
Casual Shinji said:

Nintendo is doing a live-stream so it's like a conference. xD I'm hoping it's not true. It would piss a lot of Wii U owners off. Although, it could be a new revision of it, or maybe a new 3DS version?
But will a live stream bring in the mainstream media as much as it would on E3? Not that I'm an expert on live streams.

Maybe they're going for some sort of hybrid handheld/console that ties into the Wii-U somehow. Nintendo can't keep going the way it is now with the Wii-U, but it can't cut their losses and ditch it either. So I'm actually quite intrigued by what they'll be presenting.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
VITALITY SENSOR!

Nintendo may well introduce a new wobble board or fiddle sticks. There's absolutely no way they're introducing a more high-powered console and nothing they've said suggests it's even an option they're considering. They're half a decade behind Sony and Microsoft now, they couldn't catch up. They've given over trying to sell games to us and now they're trying to attract all the people who thought the Wii Fit actually made you fit.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
My money's on that "Quality of Life" doodah that they've been talking about, if these rumours are true.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
My money's on that "Quality of Life" doodah that they've been talking about, if these rumours are true.
Stop being so logical.

Yeah, if there's new hardware to be unveiled, it's most likely a peripheral. Barring that, maybe the next step in their portable line. Either a new variation of the 3DS (i.e. like the XL or 2DS) or just the next leap. (i.e. like DS --> 3DS.)

No way they're abandoning the WiiU.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Alex Co said:
'Cause I've heard from multiple people now. I've heard from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I've heard it from somebody on the third-party front.'
I thought this was a parody quote at first, sounds like something a kid would say when they've been accused of lying.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Sleekit said:
is actually quite decent kit...
It is, and launching a new variation of the console is a possibility. Though anyone expecting something drastic is barking up the wrong tree.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
If I had to make a guess I'd go with a DS successor. It has been around for a good long time now so something new that can interface with the Wii U in maybe the same way the PS3/4/Vita do would be a thought.

Unless they have decided to write off the Wii U and have something entirely different ready to be revealed. That could be quite exciting.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I understand why someone would consider what we discussed newsworthy, but this story completely ignores an important piece of context: We didn't trust these sources enough to run a story on IGN.

It's a conversation, and sometimes we get carried away. Peer did make the above argument, but we also framed the discussion around the context that we weren't sure.
Really, because that doesn't really agree with this bit that Schneider said.

The rumblings were further corroborated by IGN's Peer Schneider who claims, "They're absolutely going to show new hardware this year...No doubt in my mind that something...
So they have no doubt that Nintendo are showing new hardware! But they don't trust the sources. It's absolutely going to happen! Except they don't want to put it in a news article. I bet they are super cereal.

Captcha: somebody that i used to know. Captcha identifies the most reliable news source after 'some guy at the pub'.

If they are showing hardware it's probably nothing amazing, even though the WiiU isn't the most healthy of Nintendo's children I don't think they would abandon it so soon.

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
Well WiiU isn´t selling anyway and pmost people who brought it will buy the WiiUforget anyway. Its still a slap in the face somehow but the console will not see the light of day before next year so the slap is rather mild

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The source of this rumor is "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who played a Nintendo game back in 1987" and "My dad works at Nintendo".
It's literally THAT kid on the playground who was lying all the time and everyone knew it.

Aside from criticizing Valve for no quality control on Steam, maybe Escapist should also try some quality control for once.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
What is this now, the tenth time its been rumoured they're going to unveil the Fusion? lol

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
It obviously isn't a succesor to the WiiU, they can't develop a new console in 2 years (Or even less as they would have to realize that the WiiU wasn't doing well) it would be ridiculous to even think that. My bet is either a new model of the WiiU or somekind of VR peripheral.

Aside from that, the sources are pretty damn shady, i'm not even sure why gaming sites keeps following up in rumours like this, considering how easy they are to fabricate :p.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Sleekit said:
well a new handheld is probably due...but a new console would be about 3 years early...

Nintendo aren't on the same "console generations are 10+ years now mmmmkay" page as Microsoft and sony (MS started that idea and sony fell in with it) and are basically still working on the far more traditional 5-6 year turnaround so there was always gonna be a new Nintendo console coming out midway through the "generation" that has just supposedly started...in about 2017..ish...

anyway ye...handheld is maybe kinda due...DS is a decade old now (which means its lasted slightly longer than the GBA) and is showing its age against sonys handhelds and phones...but console hardware would be early.

basically if there's a shred of truth to this i'd expect a new handheld more than anything else.

BrotherRool said:
They're half a decade behind Sony and Microsoft now
kinda weird to consider things made of out of date PC parts at launch to be ahead of anything tbth...

Nintendos next console will be out by mid way through this generation and just like MS and sonys new offerings atm will be made of PC parts "mid range" (or thereabouts) at the time.

so basically there is very little gloating room in the "behind/ahead" respect.

unless you're talking about markets...in which case...*nope*...because Nintendo isn't even really in the same market as MS and sony...it overlaps in parts...but Nintendo basically has the kids (that we all once were ;) ) completely to itself while MS and sony squabble over the teens and up...
They just released the 3DS and it has barely started it's life on the market, i highly doubt they are going to replace it now that it's starting to make them money.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
MrBaskerville said:
They just released the 3DS and it has barely started it's life on the market, i highly doubt they are going to replace it now that it's starting to make them money.
It's Nintendo, they made a new version of the DS every 2-3 years. Probably the next version of the 3DS.

OP:Or probably a version of the Wii U that doesn't come with the tablet conrtoller that's barely being used in the software.

Or peripherals.

And that's if this rumour is true. Nintendo needs software right now though, not more stuff for people to buy with no games to play on it. We've got enough of that going on as it is.