Rumor: Nintendo's New Console Will Make You Feel

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
gigastar said:
Nintendo needs to replace the guy who comes up with names for thier consoles. Else we will be hearing 'Feel it up' for years to come.

Anyway this haptic tech sounds nice in theory. It would be more of a challenge with less of the annoyance to rely on a third sense in gaming. As compared to motion controls, at least.

"Feel it up" would probably from their commercials.

Remember:
"It's good to touch"

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Have people this quickly abandoned Nintendo over the Wii? They had the NES, the SNES, N64, Gamecube, then the Wii. Perhaps the Wii was the odd man out?

It still has the buttons, triggers and sticks we've come to know and demand. I for one would would really love a game that could incorporate a good traditional RPG or really any game with an inventory system with this thing.

This year's E3 is going to be big. Either a big success or a big disappointment is left to be seen.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Now that's really cool... but how much is it going to fucking cost? It's sounding really really expensive.

Coffinshaker

Feb 16, 2011
sigh... leave it to nintendo to push the market of "dating simulation games" to the next level. I'm assuming they'll be adding that kissing simulator they posted the other day to the mix...

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
I don't understand why people are complaining about this gimmick, it's not like it's the first time this has happened. Sure Nintendo seems to be throwing gimmicky features into their consoles, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I for one thought the DS's touch screen was an odd idea until I actually used it, and some games on the Wii are pretty damn fun to play using motion controls (Resident Evil 4, and Metroid Prime 3 in particular). Being able to feel textures sounds kinda useless, but even if it is can't you simply ignore it? It's not like you're going to be playing the games by simply "feeling" everything in sight, at least I hope not. The only thing that's really odd to me is the name. The Nintendo Feel just sounds......pretty stupid. Kind of like how I though Revolution was a more fitting title for the Wii what with it's "revolutionary" motion controls. Eh, but that's just my two cents.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
John Funk said:
By the way, the word "gimmick" is absolutely the stupidest and least useful term in online videogame discussion. Just for the record.
This to the max. Half of the people who say it don't even know what it means.

And I just wish E3 would happen sooner. Every day, Nintendo is getting hated on more based off of rumors. How silly is that?
If you're going to call somebody out on something, wait until that something is a fact first.

briunj04

Apr 9, 2011
Booo, I thought Nintendo would learn its lesson about cheap gimmicks! Oh well, at least this opens up a whole new realm of Japanese pr0n games!

I wish that if they actually are going to go ahead with this "sense stimulation" thing, I hope that they make it so that you can taste a potion as you drink it or smell Peach once you rescue her.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Also, the system will be able to raise the dead.

Seriously, though, I'm chocking this up to pre-release hype. You hear all this sort of nonsense before any console comes out.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
Honestly, this sounds like it could be good (assuming the story is true). Adventure games where you can determine where a hidden door is by feeling a wall, for instance, would be something I'd like to play (and isn't this really an extension of what the rumble feature on the PS1 controllers was trying to do?). If anybody wanted to exercise some creativity, I'm sure there could be some other uses for a touch-screen controller (actually digging in Harvest Moon? Touch-screen reloading in a shooter where you have to slide clips/magazines/rounds in? 'Carrying' your RPG loot in the controller, and having to pick it out when buying/selling? Okay, maybe not that last one, but you never know...).

Of course, that brings us to the problem...

DanDeFool said:
And no third-party devs will support it...
This. This and this some more. Only a handful of games across the Wii and all versions of the DS made use of their central ideas in a way that was either beneficial or experimental. Aside from Nintendo games, only The Bigs, Bully: Scholarship Edition, Okami, and a few others made effective use of motion controls on the Wii (and No More Heroes had the phone calls from the controller, which was fun), while the rest were either a mixed bag (Silent Hill: Shattered Memories), messy (The Conduit and the Wii version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent) or just waggle (damn near everything else).

Even if Nintendo put some strong support into the concept, and made good use of this rumored touch-screen in all of its games, somehow I doubt we'd see a lot of effort on third party developers to bring anything interesting to the table, if they made games for the thing at all (Capcom and Sega are probably the most reliabe here). If they could get around that problem, I'd like to see this happen.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Shouldn't they have at least tried to fully realize their previous controller before attempting to "reimagine" a new one? Are they hoping we'd forget that this [http://www.thinkmac.net/storage/blog//images/wiimote-1.jpg] is the biggest piece of shit controller in gaming since the Colecovision [http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos/coleco_colecovision_controller.jpg]? Are they hoping we forget that they barely know how to use their own touchpad tech?

With Nintendo's track record, they aren't going to fully utilize the touchpad as, well, a touchpad. Ten bucks says it's going to function just like DS or early iOS games, where it just emulated button functions.

All of this mean nil in the long run as this thing is going to be the biggest fucking bestseller on the market, proving once again that Nintendo can literally sell you shit in a jar, slap a sticker that says "innovation" on it, and you'd still wait in line for two days to cough up $300 for it.

I can't wait to see all the new and exiting games for this new console. Can you imagine? Another wave of Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Star Fox, and possibly a new Kid Icarus! Innovation, right?

Fuck you all.

[sub].[/sub]

[sub].[/sub]

[sub].[/sub]

[sub][sub][sub]Yes, I mad. Fuck you as well.[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I could frankly care less.

While most likely to be fake, IF such technology existed I'll say this much: Impressive from a technological level if succesful, especially if it can be used on a grander scale for getting closer to a Holo-deck. From a current game point though, what point is there to this technology?

Alright, I guess thats been said before with the DS and Wii, and those turned out okay, but consider this: How many games actually use the touch screen and motion controls as an integral part of gameplay? As in, how many games on these systems are designed in a way that made it apparent that they were games that could not exist without touch screen or motion controls?
.....Thats what I thought.

Again, useful technology in terms of an evantual culmination into a Holo-deck, but for what purpose would feeling do? I suppose it could be certainly useful for either highly visually-impaired or completely blind, but for other gamers I see little purpose for what this technology could do to enhance their gaming experience.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I dunno, I'm gonna call bullshit on this particular rumour... touchpad on the controller seems almost certain by this point (since everyone and they're mothers are citing exactly the same thing), but texture sensor? I dunno... even for Nintendo, I think they'd struggle to find any way of really enhancing gameplay.

It's comparable to the rumble pack of the N64 era I guess - its kinda cool and a neat little thing to have, but not really advertisable as a revolution in gameplay, so I doubt it will "change the way we play", even if it is included in the console.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
So it'll be made from Octopus skin?
My idea of "developers-use-touch-screen-to-add-buttons-to-the-controller-as-needed" is looking better and better. Now we'll be able to actually feel the screen-buttons.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I'm getting the strange, unfamiliar sensation of having been right about something...
http://moviebob.blogspot.com/2011/04/moviebobs-insane-wii2-theory.html

Back when they first announced that a certain amount of the controller would be taken-up by a large-ish touchscreen, I had a crazy thought: What if the premise of this is "The EveryController?" - i.e. what if the "controller" is ONLY (or mostly) a small iPad-esque tablet and instead of every game having to be mapped to a pre-set arrangement of buttons the touchscreen would display a DIFFERENT set/arrangement of game-specific "virtual buttons" for each specific game; i.e. six-button arcade controls for Fighters, SNES-style arrangement for sidescrollers, etc.?

The ONLY "problem" with that kind of idea is that "virtual buttons" on touchscreens kinda suck for gaming, because the buttons have no tactile-feedback - you can't "feel" them and thus can't play without looking down at them all the time. Well, THIS would largely solve that problem: "Haptic technology" touchscreens aren't designed to replicate the "bumpiness" of virtual textures; their purpose is to make different sections of the onscreen image feel "distinguishable" from one-another to the user's fingertips, like say making the "clickable" parts of a website or an options menu (or the buttons on a virtual QWERTY keyboard for texting) feel different from the "static" parts.

IMAGINE: A controller that essentially "morphs" into a new form ideally suited to each different game - and maybe even customizable! I'd need to see/feel it in action to see if it actually works, but if they ARE using haptic-feedback touchscreens it's theoretically wholly-doable.