Rumor: Nintendo's New Console Will Make You Feel

wizard_joe88

Nov 12, 2010
Nintendo, don't you know a controller works just as good as our hands?
.... but hold on a second, if we can FEEL the game, what happens if our character gets punched or shoot in a game?
I'd make a bad joke about this, but I'm not in the mood.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I'd still prefer to just be able to use a 3DS or a DS instead of a controller, but oh well, this new touch screen could also be cool. I'll give the Level article a read and let you know if there's some mistranslation somewhere, but I choose to believe this, all of it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
OutrageousEmu said:
John Funk said:
Defense said:
And here I thought glasses-less 3D was their stupidest gimmick. Nintendo never ceases to amaze me.
If you seriously can't think of uses for true haptic feedback, that's kind of stunning.
Can you think of one that doesn't involve Peter Molyneuxish levels of pointless self wankery? Yeah, I can get the idea of giving you the rough differences between hard and soft surfaces. But can you tell me where this would give a practical effect on games?

This looks roughly as innovative and important as Scratch and Sniff.
A new Phoenix Wright or LA-Noire style investigation game. Something like Castlevania DoS where you need to trace runes without looking at the screen. Hell, even an Angry Birds clone where you can feel the tension the further you pull the catapult back.

Krowded

Feb 26, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
Krowded said:
OutrageousEmu said:
John Funk said:
Defense said:
And here I thought glasses-less 3D was their stupidest gimmick. Nintendo never ceases to amaze me.
If you seriously can't think of uses for true haptic feedback, that's kind of stunning.
Can you think of one that doesn't involve Peter Molyneuxish levels of pointless self wankery? Yeah, I can get the idea of giving you the rough differences between hard and soft surfaces. But can you tell me where this would give a practical effect on games?

This looks roughly as innovative and important as Scratch and Sniff.
It could let you feel buttons and give you the sense of any kind of controller, one specifically made for that game. It could for example become a keyboard you don't have to look at to type.
So instead of having a controller specifically made to fit into your hand, one you can grow comfortable with over years and gain an intuitive understanding of, you've got every game using its own custom button design? And as for keyboards, if you want to play on PC, play on PC.
The keyboard was just an example. (one I'm sure will be used from time to time) And I'm not saying every game will be using it's own controller, there's a reason why most controllers look alike, but it will fit many games better than the standard. This also does away with many of the periphirals. It could, for example, get rid of the giant controller in DJ Hero, giving it a bit more of a friendly pricetag.

Not to mention all the great things that can surely be done with technology accurate enough to feel like a stone or a brush.

Feb 18, 2009
John Funk said:
It's also worth noting that the article does not claim that Nintendo Feel will be the final name, and one can only hope that "Feel" is to this new console as "Revolution" was to the Wii. Because really, that name is silly.
...because "Wii" is so much better than "Revolution"? I would have preferred the latter to be honest. Less urine jokes.

cfehunter

Oct 5, 2010
This seems like a huge waste of money (for a console), the tech itself however is pretty interesting and could so some great stuff, improve computing for the blind for one thing.

I'm sorry but the only use I can see for it in games is cheap gimmicky bull.

Textures on their own don't add much immersion either, without mass it'd likely just drag you further out of the experience (when did nintendo do anything immersive anyway?).

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
wasn't the whole point of the DS stylus so the screen didn't get my dirty cheetos grease on it?

Besides, I hardly see the gameplay benefits for this?
What else can you do but some "Which tile feels like wood?" puzzles.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Snake Plissken said:
It's official. Everyone at Nintendo needs to retire and find less stupid shit to do with their time...
Most definitely the funniest thing I've read today.

Dear Nintendo,

The only acceptable step forward is a full mind transfer virtual reality. Consoles have enough buttons and immersion to work with until you can make real VR capability.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
The only way this could work is if it was just a big blank slate and buttons and knobs rose up out of it. You could literally have a different controller for every control scheme. That would ROCK.

AquillaValefor

Oct 27, 2009
Dear god, Nintendo is going to create feelies.

Some days, being a lit major is ...bad...

Seriously, though, yay for gimmicks -.- "Here, grandma, if you put your finger right there, you can totally feel the ..stickiness of World of Goo."

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
while its certainly a fascinating bit of technology, I fail to see how it actually improves anything. With motion controls you increase parity between your characters actions and your own. Whether or not you like motion controls game characters are always moving, but consider how often in a game are you actually touching things in a game apart from your gun/sword/sports-equipment. I can't see building games out of touch. I suppose you could make Heavy Rain for the blind now... Texture and taste are vastly less important for simulating reality than sight, sound, and smell. Especially since i seriously doubt it will be able to simulate liquids which wipes out about half the potential applications for it right there.

Beyond that it seems like it would be very expensive. Given that Nintendo has never been willing to sell a console at a loss in the past, unless they're going to price this thing at $500+ i can't see this being part of the final product.

With all this crap on it how long can the battery possibly last.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I just don't see that this really adds to gameplay. Instead of coming up with something totally different, they take an idea and expand upon it. I don't think it would make a game any better if you could "feel" certain things, but that is just my opinion. I don't even think it would add to the "immersion" level, I mean you will still likely be very aware you are touching a screen on a controller.

DaMan1500

Jul 10, 2009
I thought this was a stupid idea at first, but considering my main problem with the iPad and other such doohickies is that it's hard to type without feeling physical buttons, this may not be too far off. I am wondering about price though. Maybe the touch screen will be a seperate thing that plugs into the back of the controller, like the keyboard things on Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers. This is assuming, of course, that any of this touch screen stuff actually exists, but still.