Rumor: Nintendo's New Console Will Make You Feel

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
A touch screen with tactile feedback?! THAT'S GENIUS!

That means if you have to control a game using the screen, you can feel for the controls, making it that much closer to full on physical controls, just with the ability to change the scheme.

It'd be cool if the iPhone used something like that. Make the virtual d-pads feel tactile so it's easier to tell when you're actually pressing them!

Really curious to see this now XD

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I wonder how the hell and why the hell Nintendo does all this touch screen, motion sensor, 3D setting, and "feel" screen stuff before anyone else does.

OrokuSaki

Nov 15, 2010
.....really? I wish Nintendo would just fire EVERYONE they hired since GameCube first released because they are clearly being staffed by children at this point.
Children who stare at pieces of crumpled aluminum hanging from the ceiling and try to advertise it through it's shininess.
Can someone PLEASE tell me what this adds to the immersion of gaming? Even a little? I have never in my life thought "WOW that desert is so realistic, I wish I could touch it". This ranks right with motion controls and 3D on the list of improving things in gaming that NEED NOT BE IMPROVED UPON.
At this time, graphics are great, controllers are a passable medium of exchange for gameplay how about for once just going with what works for consoles and trying to improve the games themselves?

I hate Nintendo.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Sure it'll be cool. But I fail to see how it'll work with real games. Nintendogs wuld be fine for it tho. I can see Ubisoft rushing to make tons of shovelware related to this.

But as long as it's just a feature it's fine. Like the rumble pack. It was there and a neat addition. But wasn't mandatory (as far as I recall) Not like the wii where if you didn't want to use Motion Controls you were screwed.

However I think if anyone CAN make this work. It's Nintendo.

nukethetuna

Nov 8, 2010
I got REALLY excited when I read the thread topic. I thought Nintendo had developed a way to force emotions on people with their next console.
"Nintendo's New Console Will Make You Feel Sad/Angry/Happy/Jealous/etc"

Then my mind went straight to how certain game-makers could create some sort of "spank the lass" game with real booty textures.

Then I thought seriously and was underwhelmed... but I also felt the same about the DS, which I ended up loving (even if the touchscreen was underutilized in the vast majority of games).

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I hope its just a rumour, this sounds like a stupid gimmick which will ramp the price up. :(

EDIT: This also seems pretty much a casual gamer thing too, I thought this console was supposed to be aimed back at the hardcore gamers?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Xman490 said:
I wonder how the hell and why the hell Nintendo does all this touch screen, motion sensor, 3D setting, and "feel" screen stuff before anyone else does.
It's probably as simple as "because they can." In the tech industries, EVERYONE wants to be the guy who "got there first" on new innovations, and Nintendo - for better or worse - has more of an ability to absorb the risk of doing so than any other game console producer because they will always be profitable. ALWAYS. Because no matter how "new" the interface or "strange" the control scheme; enough people WILL "deal with it" in order to play the next Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Starfox, Pokemon, Smash Bros. etc games to make it tidily profitable.

Seriously, that's kind of the long and short of it - they OWN, completely, at least 60-75% of the most garaunteed-moneymaker IPs in the business, so they get to do whatever they want. The next console could be projected on a water-screen and controlled exclusively by blowing into a straw, and "New Mario, New Zelda, New Everything Else," would STILL sell enough units to make it worth their while.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
not this again. what will come of it? everything i have hated about Nintendo systems, they come out with a gimmick (wii has motion sensor, ds has touchpad and worse, the mic) and every game has to have it, i miss gameboy days when the only gimmick was colour...and system link.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
To everyone crying "Gimmick!":

Remember the Rumble in the N64? That was similar to this: a nice feature, but wasn't needed.

Plus, they have the standard two-analogue, d-pad, four button and bumpers. FFS, it shows those in the picture in the article! It also just has a touchpad. And now this. But you seem to forget the whole "it has standard buttons" thing in less than 2 days, and go right back to "WAH WAH WAH NINTENDO MAKES GIMMICK CONTROLLERS! GIMMICK GIMMICK GIMMICK GIMMICK GIMMICK! IF I KEEP SAYING GIMMICK, THAT WILL MAKE ALL THE OTHER PARTS NOT EXIST!" How quickly people seem to forget...

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Nitendo consoles have always made me feel... a sense of deja vu with their games releases : P

Seriously though this does sound interesting, if it is true lets hope it doesn't turn into gommicky controls like a lot of wii games

Krowded

Feb 26, 2011
Called it! ;P

Now that that's done: Awesomae! Didn't actually know haptic technology had gotten so far. This has some real potential, but I'll need to try the screen out. Promising promising though.

Krowded

Feb 26, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
John Funk said:
Defense said:
And here I thought glasses-less 3D was their stupidest gimmick. Nintendo never ceases to amaze me.
If you seriously can't think of uses for true haptic feedback, that's kind of stunning.
Can you think of one that doesn't involve Peter Molyneuxish levels of pointless self wankery? Yeah, I can get the idea of giving you the rough differences between hard and soft surfaces. But can you tell me where this would give a practical effect on games?

This looks roughly as innovative and important as Scratch and Sniff.
It could let you feel buttons and give you the sense of any kind of controller, one specifically made for that game. It could for example become a keyboard you don't have to look at to type.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Recently, I said "what's next, Nintendo 4DS?" to a friend of mine, jokingly. Now, THIS makes me go "wtf."

Let's just hope Microsoft and Sony doesn't copy them again, I don't want to feel my X360.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
i thought they proved with the wii that the controllers are good as they are and we like actual gameplay and graphics over gimmicks.

i can see another 40 mario games coming out on this and people somehow still stupid enough to buy them.