Rumor: No Half-Life 2: Episode 3 in 2010

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Ranooth said:
Urge to kill: Rising.....rising.....

John Funk said:
Will Valve end up saying, "Screw it, let's just work on TF2, Portal 2, and Left 4 Dead 3"?
Ummm TF2 is already out John, its quite awesome :D
Engineer Update is the last on the list of things to do... sloooooooooooooooooooooooowely.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
These guys are the biggest sadists ever. They release one of the biggest sequels in gaming history, followed by 2 episode expansions, and then a boxset with all of this bundled this some of there newer games. Then they just don't release EP3.
I'll say it again, sadists.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Alright, can we get some kind of Godwin's Law [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law] equivalent for DNF? Just as you cannot use Hitler as a valid counterpoint to an argument, you can't say "Oh this game is taking forever lol it's the next duke nukem."

That said, I do hope this is just, as it says, a rumor. The game probably is taking a while because it's not going to be set in the same locales as Episodes 1 and 2. We're talking about a
derelict ship filled with SCIENCE! in a frozen wasteland/iceberg
kind of setting, and after seeing what those Combine Advisors could do in Ep2 you just know there has to be an epic physics battle with one of them. Those two bits alone could mean we're looking at a full game, not an expansion-pack-styled episode.

Valve really just needs to stop wasting their time trying to be innovative with ASL and motion control stuff and actually working on making a game if they want to stay a successful game company.

TheSeventhLoneWolf

Mar 1, 2009
Just give 'em a chance, Has valve ever let you down before? They take a while on games, granted. But at least they put thought (And apparently procrastination) into it.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I don't understand why everyone is comparing VALVe to 3DRealms.

In the three years since Episode 2, they developed and released TF2, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, and all sorts of patches, DLC and goodies these games.

After fourteen years, 3DRealms only released only one game besides Duke 3d, Shadow Warrior. They had to hand Prey into a 3rd party developer to complete.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Tha's actually kind of funny. I managed to obtain information that something involving episode 3 was happening on december 10th this year...I don't think we can abandon hope of it being the next duke nukem forever yet.

primitivescrewhead

Dec 16, 2009
I doubt they will release a fully fledged half life 3 next. The storyline of the combine etc still needs to be wrapped up, this will happen in ep3, allowing for a completely new story arc for Half Life 3.

Shamgarr

Aug 15, 2009
I imagine that they will wait until they have a new engine to release Half-Life 3, as this seams to be the trend. But I can forsee a small to medium lengthed episode 3 to come out in the next 3 years. I'm fine with waiting as long as I'm sure it'll be worth it, which track records indicate it will be.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Mr Funk, why do you refer to everybody looking forward to episode 3 as Fanboys in a derogatory term?

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
When did Valve actually say that episode 3 will conclude anything?

When you think of the length of these episodes, there would be fuck all gameplay in it anyway, since we're 2 and 2/3s of the way through it and so far we've only learned the main character's name.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
John Funk said:
Valve has surpassed fellow notoriously glacial development studio Blizzard in terms of "long development cycles"
Hah! A pun!

Anyways, Gabe, for the love of... Gabe, please please pleeeeeeeease make Episode 3 before I die. That's all I ask.

SilvanTyl

Dec 8, 2009
Could they just change the name of the game to Half Life 3? Drop the 'episode' bit? It would make more sense for all this time spent on a full game.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
johnman said:
Mr Funk, why do you refer to everybody looking forward to episode 3 as Fanboys in a derogatory term?
What makes you think I'm not looking forward to Episode 3 myself?

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Seriously? This game better be about thirty hours long, have a brand new engine that looks amazing, have three hundred new enemies and three undred new enemy types and be absolutely fantastic or I'll be like........."wtf guys?"

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
I'd rather wait for Valve to release their games when they want to release them rather than them churning them out when they're not. They're not console publishers so they do have some standards.