Rumor: PS3 Version of Mass Effect 2 Includes DLC, New Mission [UPDATED]

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Well according to this official statement from the Bioware forums there was misunderstanding in the translation, the 6 hour DLC is just the already released DLC.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/5188310&lf=8

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
i'm gonna wait for a mass effect 2 GOTY thing on steam that way cheap on steam and i won't miss anything

Piflik

Feb 25, 2010
Mass Effect 1 not being ported is not Microsoft's choice, but Bioware's. They thought about porting ME1 as well, but there were so many changes regarding gameplay and engine between the two games, that they thought it would be too much to do, to port ME1 and it would also not be the best possible first contact with the ME universe for PS3 players. At least that's what they said in that interview. So they created the interactive comic called 'Dark Horse' to let the players make the important decisions of ME1 and give them an overview over the story.

The PS3 version will include Kasumi, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker on the Disc as well as a code to download all DLC published in the Cerberus Network. Further DLC is planed to be released later (for all platforms).

There are three exclusive missions for PS3 with a combined duration of about 6h.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Bigeyez said:
SonicKoala said:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy - I didn't know about this until now.

Although, I do have to wonder - is it essential I play the first Mass Effect before playing the 2nd, or can I enjoy 2 just as much, regardless of whether or not I played the first one?
It's not essential, but the second is a much less immersive game if you have not played through the first.
Well then, looks like I've determined my next Steam purchase. Thanks for the tip.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, the original Mass Effect has the greatest story of any game I've ever played. If the PS3 version of ME2 does anything to tarnish that story for an entire console's worth of gamers, I'm going to be very pissed.

Yes, it's great that PS3 owners will finally be able to play what I consider the best game of 2010. But I sure as hell hope they won't get such a fantastic story ruined for them in the process.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Bah, double post. You know, Escapist, it is cause for concern when I post a message and it doesn't appear.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
GamesB2 said:
ImprovizoR said:
They should have just ported both games. Microsoft are a bunch of douchebags.

Damn straight! I mean it's not like Sony won't port Little Big Planet or Killzone!

Shame on Microsoft for being so different!!!
Well too be fair, bioware aren't first party. Doesn't microsoft own the rights to mass effect 1? That's how it works with sucker punch, i believe sony owns the rights to infamous.

Mar 26, 2008
I'm thinking this will be Mass Effect 2: Game of the Year Edition, which is like what Bethesda did with Fallout 3: GotY Edition. I mean it's pretty much lock to get Game of the Year.

Jul 22, 2009
Jkudo said:
Well too be fair, bioware aren't first party. Doesn't microsoft own the rights to mass effect 1? That's how it works with sucker punch, i believe sony owns the rights to infamous.
Microsoft published Mass Effect, and while they definitely don't own the rights to it they almost definitely have a large say in what happens with the series.

_Cake_

Apr 5, 2009
That's really fucking stupid. Start with giving ps3 owners Mass Effect 1, then talk about super special awesome dlc.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Jumplion said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
I still don't get it why they can't just port the original Mass Effect over to the PS3, instead of creating entire new sections for Mass Effect 2 that the Xbox and PC players will miss out on. Not to mention that creating what now appear to be 2 separate story line for different versions of the game is not a good idea at all.

Not to mention that no amount of new content will make up for the fact that they releasing a sequel to the PS3 without releasing the original.
You just sortof answered your own question, did you not? Since the Ps3 isn't getting the first Mass Effect, being published by Microsoft n' all, there needs to be some sort of compensation for the year and a half or so of waiting for the 2nd game to be ported. And how would it be "two separate storylines"? It's the same storyline, just told in a different way because the PS3 isn't getting the original Mass Effect.

But whatever, awesome for PS3 owners, though I am probably going to get Mass Effect for my PC if it's for sale on STEAM some time.
Microsoft owns exclusive rights to the original Mass Effect game, because when the finished ME1, Bioware was still independent, so they made a deal with Microsoft to have Mass Effect be an exclusive. By the time NE2 rolled around Bioware had become a part of EA, which obviously doesn't usually deal in exclusive titles.

cjackson92

Mar 6, 2009
GamesB2 said:
ImprovizoR said:
They should have just ported both games. Microsoft are a bunch of douchebags.

Damn straight! I mean it's not like Sony won't port Little Big Planet or Killzone!

Shame on Microsoft for being so different!!!
When did LBP2 and KZ3 go multiplatform???

Jul 22, 2009
cjackson92 said:
When did LBP2 and KZ3 go multiplatform???
/Sarcasm

I was pointing out that while people complain about Microsoft not porting Mass Effect one you don't see Sony gladly handing over its popular franchises.

Jkudo

Aug 17, 2010
GamesB2 said:
Jkudo said:
Microsoft published Mass Effect, and while they definitely don't own the rights to it they almost definitely have a large say in what happens with the series.
Ahhh thank you, well it would be a very bad move for them to let the first go. Exclusives and all that.

deonte9109

Sep 8, 2010
D:< This is bull. Why should the PS3 owners get special treatment? at the very least BioWare should give some of the DLC free to PC and Xbox users.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Coolness. Good for PS3 owners who want ME2. I...don't think there's much more to say on the topic.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
There is no new mission, according to an update on Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5683767/interactive-comic-will-set-up-mass-effect-2-for-ps3].

There's a post on the official forums by a Bioware employee clarifying the situation with the mission here. [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/5188310]

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
I can only hope that this "extra mission" will be released on the 360 as DLC, assuming it's not a prologue of sorts.

Even so, as big of an ME fanboy as I am, I'll probably be playing this on my PS3 as well.

Is that pathetic?