Rumor: PS4 50% More Powerful Than Xbox 720

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
As a former Xbox gamer all I can say is............good. My PC was getting hungry, I must feed it something.

All jokes aside, I just hope they're affordable for people. I mean the point of a console to me was to be a system that most people could afford to buy that allowed them to play most games that came to the market with reasonable capabilities. Not everyone can afford to drop 1.5k on a gaming rig. As for the dick swinging between the two, the sun shines, grass grows, Xbox and Sony fans argue over which is better.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
So, this basically means it will cost a fuckton on launch and games for it will still cost around 50 euros.

No thanks, fooled me once with the PS3.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Hrrrm. One has more teraflops, but I guess the other has more buzzlesweeps and they both have the same turtledinks.

Wait, wait. Wasn't making the Playstation really powerful the marketing strategy used back when this current generation started, and the humble Wii taught us that making consoles stupidly powerful wasn't the most important thing ever? Or the Xbox now being on pace to outsell everything supposed to show us that there's a balance point between price and performance that is less than ball-busting?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I thinks its down to software more than anything. From what i remember Sony always had complicated development software for making games on where as MS consoles had more user friendly development tools. Also, i dont know that much about computers but isnt more ram better than raw power? I think overall it wont matter much, as with PS3/360 we will be getting awesome platform specific titles as well as both having similiar versions of games on both platforms. Only thing i can guarantee with 100% certainty is that there will be a COD game released on both of them. lol

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
*sigh* I knew going into this ram was going to be an issue again.

Well, the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360, and if you look at games like Bayonetta, Skyrim, pretty much all ports from the 360 to the PS3 we know that specs and power mean nothing if devs are too lazy to actually USE that power.

Uszi said:
Hrrrm. One has more teraflops, but I guess the other has more buzzlesweeps and they both have the same turtledinks.

Wait, wait. Wasn't making the Playstation really powerful the marketing strategy used back when this current generation started, and the humble Wii taught us that making consoles stupidly powerful wasn't the most important thing ever? Or the Xbox now being on pace to outsell everything supposed to show us that there's a balance point between price and performance that is less than ball-busting?
The Wii also showed us that gimmicks can sell systems, but not games. I forget the term, but while people bought the console they didn't really buy more games for it. It was a one-trick pony that burned brilliantly for about a year or so then fizzled out fast, and it was Nintendo's fault, by their own admission.

Also they lacked turtledinks.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
PhiMed said:
Frankly I'm starting to believe Yahtzee's view on the futility of console wars. A single unified architecture, with competition in the form of UI, value-added extras, platform-unique exclusives, etc is what's best for the consumer, not multiple devices that split the community and allow no crossing over.
We already have that. It's called a PC.

Consoles are able to do as well as they are because games and tools can be heavily optimized toward the specific hardware. You'd see a pretty massive performance decrease if games had to run on "Next gen consoles" instead of having an Xbox and a PS3 version.

It's something sounds simple in theory, but doesn't pan out when you actually start delving into the technology.
The quote you attributed to me isn't mine. Please be careful when you edit.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
well lets hope it doesn't turn into another jaguar.

aka confusing as hell and with no one knowing how to make games on it.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Interesting...

I might be intrigued by this had Sony not managed to pull the astounding feat of becoming 50% more vile company than microsoft. Seriously thats downright impressive.

So yeah, for me personally the thing would have to be backwards compat for all 3 prior installs, able to run linux, print money and fellate on command to get me interested.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I'd be very surprised if Sony made the same mistake 2 generations in a row. Remember PS3 launch? It didn't sell worth a damn because it was absurdly expensive, because it was extremely top-end for it's time. It took what, 3 price drops before the PS3 began seeing decent sales? I don't see Sony going that route again. Microsoft... maybe. They have the cashflow to do something like that. Sony doesn't anymore.

CyanideSandwich

Aug 5, 2010
I've learnt to ignore these sorts of reports. There have been "rumours" from "sources" of the next Xbox/Playstation since 2008. Unless it's announced officially at something like E3 or GamesCom, take it with a handful of salt.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
My current main gaming machine has two of these.

Dear console manufacturers and the vocal minority of console gamers who tout the power of their systems.

Please stop embarrassing yourselves.

And buy Nvidia.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
And it won't do them a damn bit of good if developers can't make use of it.

My dad ran into this back in the day.
"My car has 275 more horse power than your car" well that car can't transfer that power properly to the pavement using torque because you run on ultra thin tires so it is essentially, 100% useless.

New form of the classic dick swinging contest.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
After being sort of disgusted with the state of xbox live and microsofts new gameplan to make pc's like apple the ps4 is probably going to be my system of choice.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Blablahb said:
havoc33 said:
I'll be buying the PS4 no matter what, as history shows Sony has the best firstparty/exclusive games.
Despite that they apparently are going to incorporate draconic DRM measures that will have you entering a highly illegal construction where you just rent the game, and any number of circumstances can destroy it?

Because if your console fails, has parts replaced and you play it, then the anti-used games DRM kicks in and reduces your entire games collection to a useless pile of plastic. I mean, that's like buying a house while a loonie with a disturbing grin and a box of matches is posted permanently outside it.

To me it seems the factor of which developer has the worst anti-customer policies should play a large part in the decision what one wants to buy.
I don't believe it will be that bad. I'm quite sure as the issue of downloadable content becomes a hotter topic, the EU will force companies to offer a better deal for the consumers. Where it's probably going to end up is that the games you have bought physically/downloaded will be registered to your user profile, and that you somehow are allowed to redownload/reuse it if your console crashes (given that you can provide the necessary documentation). Obviously, SOME sort of procedure in regards to this will have to be created to protect the consumers. Historically, consumer rights are very strong here in Europe, and I have no doubt that the EU will not have Sony or Microsoft come up with such a scheme that games will be limited to one system only, that is just pure madness.

What I'm actually MORE concerned about when it comes to digital downloads/accounts and such, how is this to be handled when the owner of said content dies? Will relatives have the right to get access to this content? Will they be able to sell it off in some kind of way? Obviously these things will need to be looked into sooner rather than later.

As for Sony implementing some form of an anti-used games policy, I have no problem with that. I never buy used games anyway, as nowadays I only buy the games I REALLY wanna play, and obviously I want to support the developer of these games, so I buy new in order for them to get their much needed profits. In the end it's about what games I want to play, and Sony's exclusive content blows Microsoft's out of the water. I mean, just look at this generation alone: Uncharted, Yakuza, Killzone, Resistance, inFamous, Heavy Rain, The Last of Us.. I probably even left out some. Ultimately though, I will buy the console that has the best games, and if Microsoft somehow can change this trend, I have no problem buying their console instead. This generation I bought both the 360 and PS3, but given the lack of exclusive content on Xbox, I doubt I will do the same next generation.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Enough with these rumours already- can Sony and Microsoft just hurry up and announce these damn consoles?
I've had it with "speculation" and "rumours."