Rumor: Sonic Playable in Super Mario Galaxy 2

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
I'm sure with Nintendo behind the reins, if this were to happen, it's be a rather fun experience. I've always loved Platforming games where one level can be played multiple different ways based on what character you choose. This is why I liked the original Sonic games so much because I could play through each level using different gameplay methods. This is also why Luigi in Super Mario Galaxy was such a nice little surprise for me, I got to play through the game again and not tire of repetition.

That being said, I really hope this is true. Nintendo knows what it's doing when it comes to platform games and essentially that's what Sonic is (or is supposed to be). Tone down the insane speeds Sega's been pushing him lately, give us more control, and give us a proper 3D Sonic.

ahiddenfigure

Hunter of Monsters
Sep 14, 2009
They'd better bloody well not. I mean, it made sense in SM Galaxy (the first one)
to unlock a second playthrough as Luigi,
but Sonic? Come on, they're two completely different characters, and with the exception of "neutral ground" games (like Smash Bros and the Olympic Games Knockoffs), they don't belong in each-other's games. I don't care how desperate Sega are to keep Sonic on life support.

And now, an image meme:

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Wow, and to think just ten years ago if someone said something like this they would be attacked by fanboys saying "Sonic would never be in a Nintendo game!"

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Poor Sonic. Is he so desperate to be in a good 3d platformer that he is willing to whore himself out to his one time rival?

I do not think it is going to happen, unless Nintendo is working on a new port of Mario 64 where you need to play as sonic to unlock certain stars.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Could work. I need to buy Mario Galaxy. Are there other playable characters? Like Mario 64 DS. And are they planet specific, or you can just switch between them. Cause as long as they don't put random stars on some planets that we would have to switch to Sonic to get, I don't think I'll be happy...

goldlock02

Sep 5, 2009
Well who knows.Sega is really desperate for more ideas.I mean come on.The poor company put so much work into the dreamcast.

but hey if it works out i dont mind.It will be a hell of a fun ride.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Oh, no, I hope this is false. If it's true, I can see Galaxy 2's quality and fun dropping like an anvil from the Empire State Building.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
As odd as it would be to have Sonic in a real Mario game, from a technical standpoint I don't see what's wrong with it. It's not like there isn't a precedence in Mario games to have different characters that control differently from each other. You build the game to be played by Mario, but once the levels are done it wouldn't be too much effort to build more characters that control differently that can make their way through the game the same way Mario can. Just slow Sonic down a little and you could've used him for the first Super Mario Galaxy.

And let's not forget the context of the game, it's Super Mario GALAXY. While this possibility wasn't explored in the first game, Mario is flying through the Galaxy on a spaceship. It fits within the context of the plot that he could come across Sonic's planet. Or Kirby's, or Star Fox, or Earth Bound, or Pokemon, or Fire Emblem. Was I the only one who realized how impressive it was with the Super Smash Bros Brawl story mode that they took what essentially could've been a good side scrolling platformer 15 years ago and made it playable with over two dozen very different caracters? 15 years ago that would've been inconceviable, so why couldn't it eventually work with a 3d platformer?

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
that is so much win.
I have been saying that sonic and Mario need to team up in a game that isn't a sports thing

TIMESWORDSMAN

Wishes he had fewer cap letters.
Mar 7, 2008
HA HA HAAAAAAA! HAHAHAHAHA HAAAAAAAA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHH-'cough' cough'-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dog bless the internet.

Feb 4, 2010
What would be the point? Unless they design levels around Sonic's unique traits he's just going to be a re-skin of Mario in execution.

But hey, if anyone could make a good 3D Sonic game, it's Nintendo. Actually, Sega hasn't done a bad job of it, they've just thrown a lot of unnecessary crap into the mix. And then there was Sonic 2006. There's no excuse for Sonic 2006.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Man these are going to wind up like those stupid rumors about sonic being in Super Smash bros. wait...

This sounds a little sketchy. Making a separate sonic section either means reskining mario (which would be stupid and a weak attempt to get sonic fans) or changing the entire system for one or two levels which seems like a waste of resources. I believe it when Nintendo comes out and says there doing it, and not a moment before!

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I would laugh my ass off if that ever happened. I can just imagine someone going back in time to the 90's and showing off Mario Galaxy 2 playing as Sonic going, "HEY GUYS PEEP THIS SHIT!"

I think the whole universe would just explode.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
If this is true, SMG2 could be the game that ruins Mario and Sonic beyond rescue, or it could be a fantastic move both in sales terms and in gameplay.

I take it with a pinch of salt the size of Afghanistan though.