Rumor: Sony Fighting PS3 Piracy With Install Keys

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
"This completely unsubstantiated rumor makes me SO ANGRY!! I HATE SONY SO MUCH"

Calm the fuck down, people.

Granted, unless it's Ubisoft-level DRM this wouldn't affect me a whole lot. There's no possibility of rental where I live, and used sales would either come from GameStop (who suck) or ordering online (which is too much of a hassle).

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Finally time the console users got screwed a bit up the ass as well.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Further detracting from the whole "put in disc and play" force of consoles, and limiting consumer use over the product, just so to implement a DRM scheme that's been foiled 15 years ago doesn't strike me as a great idea.

Since it could well hamper second hand sales they might just do it anyway though, if that isn't the main purpose of the plan should it exist (which I doubt), all under the banner of protecting their digital rights.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This couldn't possibly be true, and if it is, it is a horrible move by them and will never stick.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
If this is true. then may I welcome PS3 owners to the world of PC gaming. Except they get none of the benefits.

chris89300

Jun 5, 2010
The solution to this, if it comes true, which I don't doubt, knowing how cash-hungry they are, would be everyone to start boycotting Sony and start hacking their consoles.

Thing is, if the gaming community doesn't do anything to prove a point, corporations like Sony will treat us worse and worse.

Besides, not everyone has a keyboard on their PS3 (using mine on something else) and I'll be damned if I'mma enter a 50 digit code using the controller.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
If this turns out to be more than a rumor;
Sony! Just let it the fuck go!
Stop making me regret buying your stuff!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If Sony does THAT, the only games I will be buying on my PS3 from then on are exclusives, and everything else gets bought for 360, Wii, and PC (depending on the DRM that comes in each game, of course). I am not going to jump through a bunch of extra hoops to play on a god damned console. One of the big selling points of a console is that you buy the game, you put the disc in, and then you start playing without a bunch of code entry or online activation or other DRM nonsense getting in your way. If Sony takes that away from the PS3, then it just becomes a PC that can't do nearly as much as a real PC, and is thus nearly worthless to me as an owner of all platforms.

Of course, that is only if this is true. If not, cool. But if so, my PS3 collection isn't going to grow nearly as fast as it used to.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
If this happens, consider me no longer part of the PS3 community. Fucking dumbshits at Sony must not think that this is going to run off a shit-ton of users. Not being able to rent or buy used games would be a deathblow to their system and a knife to their own throats. Either that or I actually will go get my PS3 modded and give them the literal fuck you because even this won't stop hackers in the long run!

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Delusibeta said:
If this is true. then may I welcome PS3 owners to the world of PC gaming. Except they get none of the benefits.
Let me correct your statement here.

"If this is true, then I welcome PS3 owners to the world of PC gaming. Except they had the benefits ripped from them by an earlier update."

Sony is losing more and more points here. I made this statement a few threads ago, and I think it still stands.

Eventually the marketing for the PS3 will be "It only does nothing"

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
Delusibeta said:
Let me correct your statement here.

"If this is true, then I welcome PS3 owners to the world of PC gaming. Except they had the benefits ripped from them by an earlier update."

Sony is losing more and more points here. I made this statement a few threads ago, and I think it still stands.

Eventually the marketing for the PS3 will be "It only does nothing"
Dat is true, of course. Unless you have an allergic reaction to Linux.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Rainboq said:
[HEADING=1]*repeated face desks*[/HEADING]

SONY, JUST LET IT GO!
DFTBA.

OT: Yeahhhhhh, this is kind of desperate. Like, really desperate. Also, how are used copies going to be able toohhhhhhh... not very sneaky, Sony.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
I was kind of thinking about getting the PS3 because of the free online dealio. No, getting an Xbox Sony.

Valthek

Aug 25, 2008
I applaud Sony for their effort.
It takes a special sort of people to implement a business plan this suicidal.

Bravo

though honestly, if you want to throw your money away THAT badly, you could just give it to me... i'm just sayin

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Treblaine said:
Wow, people act like Piracy is a uniquely PC problem.

Turns out as soon as it's possible on PS3 they do it to such a bad extent in such a short time, all those people who threw around the "PC Elitist" slurs will be eating their words.
Happened with malware and PC's too. Apple got hit so hard. ^ ^

AC10 said:
Haha I'm sure Sony WANTED this to happen. They were going to implement this at console launch, but fans were too against it so they axed the idea.

So now on the PS3 I get all the no-trade in value of a PC game except the game's aren't 50-90% cheaper. Sounds pretty terrible.
What games are you playing. :S

Games might be, what, $10 cheaper on the PC. Tops. And that's for the basic edition which doesn't have the last few levels of the campaign, each level costing $15, oh, and most of the weapons aren't included for your use, the AI can use them though. Weapons will be released in packs at $10 each. Only $25 if you get all three weapon packs now!

End result, games are more expensive on the PC.