Rumor: Terminator Franchise Could Get a Star Trek-Style Reboot

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
At first I was dubious, but then I remembered what they did to the franchise with T3.

Sure, a reboot will suck, but still might improve things.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
Can't they finish this timeline first? I really wanted to see the end of the machine war no matter how bad it would be, it would get us some closure.

Feb 13, 2008
NickCaligo42 said:
How about a reboot of Casablanca? Have Rick played by Shia Labouf and add in a gratuitous CGI car chase with the Nazis.
You didn't see Barb Wire then?

Yes...it's a reboot (sorry, homage) (sorry, total rip off) of Casablanca.

Yeah, Pamela Anderson replaces Bogart.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
FattyMcGee said:
Mantonio said:
Oh great, another classic series that Hollywood is going to sh*t all over in its quest for easy money.
technically, since the terminator is about time travel and what not, not sure if they are "sh*t"ing on it, so much as just saying, oh well, instead of what originally happened, they just time traveled again and it changed a little.
But the Terminator movies should have ended after the second one. It had a good conclusion about the future being capable of being changed, and the man who made Skynet destroys his work and then himself to stop it happening.

Then the third and fourth movies take a dump all over that message, by going 'No, actually, the future can't change' and coming up with increasingly convoluted time travel excuses to keep making the movies.

And now they're just rebooting the whole thing. Because they're creatively bankrupt.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
??????

What is wrong with Hollywood? Is there such a dirth of viable scripts that they have to remake everything every 20-30 years. Is all entertainment going to be like this; just sequels, spin-offs and remakes here-ever after?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Schwarzenegger was great in the first two movies, but it would be interesting to see a new actor put a different spin on the cybernetic killing machine.
You're of course ignoring the fact that Robert Patrick played the Terminator concept differently in Terminator 2, opting for a smarter, leaner fighting machine than Arnie's brawny warrior.

For all its absurdity, Kristana Loken tried to do some kind of femme fatale schtick with the Terminatrix and I personally liked Salvation, right up until the last five minutes. Sam Worthington played a good Terminator.

So no, of all the film franchises in need of a reboot, Terminator is not one of them. It needs to be left alone, and allowed to rest on its laurels.

Also, there is no way on this green Earth that Paul Walker is ever going to be as good at playing Kyle Reece than Michael Biehn. At one moment calm, almost stony faced soldier and then next a heartbreaking vulnerable man who seems lost.

And the biggest of all things I find just outright pathetic here is this: this movie would certainly lead its director to ruin. They would be handed the task of remaking one of the greatest science fiction movies of all time, one that still stands proudly today among its peers as a great flick. The pressure would be unbearable and frankly anyone who thinks they could make Terminator better than James Cameron won't be good enough, and those that are would have the artistic integrity to refuse to try.

Hasta la vista, baby.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Why do they need to reboot it? Can't they just put their creative energies into telling a story set in the same world but with different characters?

Terminator Salvation wasn't crap per say, I was entertained enough. No, it wasn't Terminator or T2, but it was certainly watchable. I think the biggest problem with Salvation was the insistence with including the character of John Connor.

Forget Connor for a while and focus on some of the other people that populate this fictional world. And don't bring Arnold back. He's too distracting at this point in any case.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
Anyone else find it ironic that last name of the new rights owner, Megan Ellison, shares the same last name with the man who James Cameron initially ripped off when he created the Terminator franchise, Harlan Ellison? Yes people, Cameron has been ripping things off LONG before Avatar. The man is nothing but a hack. And yet I'll shamelessly admit to being a huge fan of the Terminator franchise as well as the first two Alien movies. That being said, my feelings are too mixed to decide whether this really bothers me or not. Initially I'd say that The Terminator series wouldn't be the same without old Arnie, but I thought Summer Glau was fantastic in the Sarah Connor Chronicles Television series. And again, Terminator was a ripoff to begin with. If you don't believe me check out the Outer Limits episodes written by Harlan Ellison, they're GREAT! Especially if you're a fan of great, hard Science Fiction.

Soldier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBJF6E3rHE

Demon With a Glass Hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImaly19Yps

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gordon_4 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Schwarzenegger was great in the first two movies, but it would be interesting to see a new actor put a different spin on the cybernetic killing machine.
You're of course ignoring the fact that Robert Patrick played the Terminator concept differently in Terminator 2, opting for a smarter, leaner fighting machine than Arnie's brawny warrior.

Hasta la vista, baby.
Not really. I debated whether or not to mention Robert Patrick, but I assumed that people would know that I was specifically referring to Arnie's terminator from the first movie. Turns out I was wrong to do so.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So we have a first movie that practically defined its own genre, a second one that proved that not all movie sequels suck... a third one that went out of its way to prove that most of them DO suck, and a fourth one that hit its head coming out of the gate and stumbled all over its own plot for the entirety of its run.

And they want to redo the whole thing?

Can we reboot the brains of the Hollywood execs who keep thinking that reboots are a good idea? And by "reboot" I mean "kick repeatedly in the head with a boot".

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
I really would like to see him come back to movies, but he should take the role of some sort of retired badass he's no longer shirtless material.....

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
NickCaligo42 said:
How about a reboot of Casablanca? Have Rick played by Shia Labouf and add in a gratuitous CGI car chase with the Nazis.
You didn't see Barb Wire then?

Yes...it's a reboot (sorry, homage) (sorry, total rip off) of Casablanca.

Yeah, Pamela Anderson replaces Bogart.
Yeah, I know about it--you could hardly call it a reboot, though, or any kind of tie-in with Casablanca. Same plot, yeah, poor substitutes in place of the original characters, but I'd sooner just refer to it as a creatively bankrupt sci-fi action movie... if that. It feels more like they hoped you wouldn't notice that it was Casablanca again.

Ensiferum said:
Anyone else find it ironic that last name of the new rights owner, Megan Ellison, shares the same last name with the man who James Cameron initially ripped off when he created the Terminator franchise, Harlan Ellison? Yes people, Cameron has been ripping things off LONG before Avatar. The man is nothing but a hack.
He does credit Harlan Ellison in the first film's credits. Additionally, you can't debate the skill it took to make the first two movies as good as they were on film, even if they were adapted from outside material. You trying to tell me that Ellison could have put it on screen and coordinated the talent better?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Ensiferum said:
Anyone else find it ironic that last name of the new rights owner, Megan Ellison, shares the same last name with the man who James Cameron initially ripped off when he created the Terminator franchise, Harlan Ellison? Yes people, Cameron has been ripping things off LONG before Avatar. The man is nothing but a hack. And yet I'll shamelessly admit to being a huge fan of the Terminator franchise as well as the first two Alien movies. That being said, my feelings are too mixed to decide whether this really bothers me or not. Initially I'd say that The Terminator series wouldn't be the same without old Arnie, but I thought Summer Glau was fantastic in the Sarah Connor Chronicles Television series. And again, Terminator was a ripoff to begin with. If you don't believe me check out the Outer Limits episodes written by Harlan Ellison, they're GREAT! Especially if you're a fan of great, hard Science Fiction.

Soldier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBJF6E3rHE

Demon With a Glass Hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImaly19Yps
I'll also admit to being an appalling fanboy of James Cameron before I say this:

He's a total bastard, but a talented one. On one hand, some acknowledgements to writers like Ellison for inspiring the idea would be nice, on the other, how successful are Harlen Ellison's application of the idea compared to Cameron's?

Again, James Cameron is (or was at least) a cunning, ruthless rat-bastard of a man and an almost intolerable slave driver. Yet the results, no matter what you think of them, speak for themselves.

Feb 13, 2008
NickCaligo42 said:
It feels more like they hoped you wouldn't notice that it was Casablanca again.
But then why did they make such blatant shout-outs to it then? It's like Twiglet and Wuthering Heights...

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Gordon_4 said:
He's a total bastard, but a talented one. On one hand, some acknowledgements to writers like Ellison for inspiring the idea would be nice, on the other, how successful are Harlen Ellison's application of the idea compared to Cameron's?
I just posted this two seconds ago, but I have to say it again: Harlen Ellison is acknowledged in the credits for Terminator. It's not like Cameron unceremoniously ripped him off and claimed the idea was his own, he did credit the man, very openly.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
NickCaligo42 said:
It feels more like they hoped you wouldn't notice that it was Casablanca again.
But then why did they make such blatant shout-outs to it then? It's like Twiglet and Wuthering Heights...
You got me there. I still wouldn't call it a proper official re-make in the sense I'm talking about, though.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
NickCaligo42 said:
Gordon_4 said:
I just posted this two seconds ago, but I have to say it again: Harlen Ellison is acknowledged in the credits for Terminator. It's not like Cameron unceremoniously ripped him off and claimed the idea was his own, he did credit the man, very openly.
I thought that happened on newer prints of the movie after there was a court case a while ago? Seriously I might have to dig out my VHS of T1 and check.

Good to know there's acknowledgement either way though.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Gordon_4 said:
NickCaligo42 said:
Gordon_4 said:
I thought that happened on newer prints of the movie after there was a court case a while ago? Seriously I might have to dig out my VHS of T1 and check.

Good to know there's acknowledgement either way though.
Huh. Well, I'm going off my Blu Ray. -_o This does bear looking into. Certainly Harlon Ellison is the kind of guy who'd go barking mad if he weren't credited and who would raise that kind of a stink.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
mikozero said:
wasn't the (terrible) last one supposed to be a reboot ?

i'd much rather see a well done remastering and enhancing of the originals special effects tbth.
While this is a nice thought, the same issue comes up as it does for a director of a reboot: there is probably no special effects team worth their industry sized balls who would dare try and remaster special effects that were overseen/created by Stan Winston: self deluded posers would try and fail, and those with the skills wouldn't be so ethically bankrupt to bother in the first place.

This is opinion only, of course. Any special effects people, please feel free to weigh in and correct me.