Rumor: Terminator Franchise Could Get a Star Trek-Style Reboot

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
FattyMcGee said:
technically, since the terminator is about time travel and what not, not sure if they are "sh*t"ing on it, so much as just saying, oh well, instead of what originally happened, they just time traveled again and it changed a little.
But the Terminator movies should have ended after the second one. It had a good conclusion about the future being capable of being changed, and the man who made Skynet destroys his work and then himself to stop it happening.

Then the third and fourth movies take a dump all over that message, by going 'No, actually, the future can't change' and coming up with increasingly convoluted time travel excuses to keep making the movies.

And now they're just rebooting the whole thing. Because they're creatively bankrupt.
i have to disagree, reboots arn't always a bad thing. Look at the star trek reboot, or batman begins/the dark knight. It could be just what is needed for the franchise to grow again, too early to bash it, give it time to develop, as long as uwe bole and Micheal Bay stay away from it, i say give it a chance!

I mean really, they still casting, haven't started shooting, too early to assume it will suck.
Batman Begins wasn't so much a reboot as an alternative, more accurate adaptation of the source material. It's why the new version of True Grit wasn't really a reboot. As for the Star Trek reboot, they took everything that separated Star Trek from Star Wars and threw it out the airlock. While I like both franchises, I like them for different reasons, and if saving Star Trek meant turning Kirk into Han Solo and doing away with the very non-space opera idea of having an actual theme that was explored in the movie (and no, revenge wasn't explored, it was just used as a plot device) then they should have just let the franchise die. They basically killed it anyway, since the only series that is now canon is Enterprise, the one that was least like classic Star Trek.

And Terminator? You don't reboot Terminator. They may as well reboot Star Wars, and get Michael Bay to direct.

Edit: Please be more careful with your quotes in the future. You messed up your own so bad that it broke the autoquote button when I quoted you in turn.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I'd say something along the lines of "wtf hollywood, stop raping my childhood" but what's the point? Now I don't bother anymore.

Terminator series was already badly raped with t3 and t4 anyways, might aswell go all the way and defile the series completely by retconning the first 2 films.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
I prefer what Singer and Vaughn did with the new X-men film. The first 2 Terminators are classics and are better left alone. It's the latter 2 movies that sucked. Personally, I've always wanted to see the war referred to in the Cameron films. They should Scrap Mostow's and McG's films and start after August 29, 1997.

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
SpAc3man said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! This is terrible.. How can anyone even consider this? Somebody shoot them!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! NOOOOOOOOO! We don't need reboots of the first two Terminator movies, they're great movies.
My favorite movie of all time is Terminator 2: Judgement Day, I've been watching it since I was about 4 years old (yes, my parents allowed me to watch that).

Also, DO NOT F#@& WITH THE TIMELINE OF THE MOVIES!! Most time travel movies are horrendous, and they usually ruin the plot of the series.

Doing a reboot of these movies is also an insult to the great Stan Winston, he created the image of the Terminators. DO NOT INSULT HIS WORK!!

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
solidstatemind said:
As for how they justified T3 and Salvation, in the books (which weren't bad at all) they explain that the time-stream is like a river, and while there could be subtle changes, rather than being able to change major events in history, Time has a tendency to return to the 'original path'. The example used was Hitler and the Holocaust: even if someone went back in time to assassinate Hitler, some other crazy asshole would've caused the rise of Nazi Germany and the subsequent horrific events.
The 'Man in the High Castle' approach of constrained probability. In that book, the Axis won WWII, but the Japanese main character can do nothing to prevent the nuking of Japan. It happens in every iteration. Even ones without WWII.

Paul Walker as Kyle Reese? Ugh. Flashbacks to whatever douche that was that played Connor in T3.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
The Rock as the Terminator :p I'd love that, anything with The Rock in I want to see, except The Tooth Fairy...No Rock, just NO!

Swarmcrow

Dec 11, 2008
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy,,, in my case, the day hollywood actually approve such Stupid Idea, is the day I'm starting a movement to stop people from going to see crappy movies

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
You know what I have to say?
Y'know what I want?
A reboot of Pink Floyd The Wall!
..Y'know, if we're already on the "taking fantastic films and making unnecessary reboots that can be good but probably will suck" train.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
I am so fucking tired of hearing the word reboot. This sounds like a terrible idea.

Logic 0

Aug 28, 2009
So they painted themselves into a corner and decided to hit the big red button.

CthulhuRlyeh

May 29, 2011
Ensiferum said:
Anyone else find it ironic that last name of the new rights owner, Megan Ellison, shares the same last name with the man who James Cameron initially ripped off when he created the Terminator franchise, Harlan Ellison? Yes people, Cameron has been ripping things off LONG before Avatar. The man is nothing but a hack. And yet I'll shamelessly admit to being a huge fan of the Terminator franchise as well as the first two Alien movies. That being said, my feelings are too mixed to decide whether this really bothers me or not. Initially I'd say that The Terminator series wouldn't be the same without old Arnie, but I thought Summer Glau was fantastic in the Sarah Connor Chronicles Television series. And again, Terminator was a ripoff to begin with. If you don't believe me check out the Outer Limits episodes written by Harlan Ellison, they're GREAT! Especially if you're a fan of great, hard Science Fiction.

Soldier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZBJF6E3rHE

Demon With a Glass Hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImaly19Yps
Actually, The Terminator is only a "rip off" of Soldier and not of Demon With a Glass Hand. In fact, here is a quote from Harlan himself:

"And "Terminator" was not stolen from "Demon with a Glass Hand," it was a ripoff of my OTHER Outer Limits script, "Soldier.""
http://harlanellison.com/heboard/archive/bull0108.htm - August 12, 2001

The reason I put rip off in quote marks is because it is a huge stretch to believe that it is an actual rip off. You only have a case for 3 minutes out of a 90 minute film and that hardly counts as a rip off.
If we are gonna count having influences as plagiarism, then we might as well abolish art, since all great artists stand on the shoulders of others. If that were so, then George Lucas would have gotten a ridiculously large law suit up his rectum, since his "crimes" are way more blatant than Cameron's.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
Maybe Im one of the few, but I actually enjoy these reboots.

Gives and interesting take on classics.

It would be like watching Gone With The Wind: 3000

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
It's not hard to see why Ellison would want Schwarzenegger on board for the movie - his name is pretty much synonymous with the Terminator franchise - but it's a shame in some ways that the new cast doesn't extend to every character.
Do you have any clue how extremely hard it is at his age to look that buff?
If he can pull it off he deserves a big rol in the franchise he made big (and then sold out).
The damage to his body is not small either, plus I like him in it.

So go Governator: Terminate them one last time!!!