Rumor: The iPad 3 Cometh

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
OK, I've got to ask: is there any legitimate reason Apple keeps releasing slightly improved versions of the same product, other than it's a total money-making scam? Yeah, you could get the Ipad 3, but why not wait another few months and then get the Ipad 4? >_>

Dec 14, 2009
Abandon4093 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
brainslurper said:
TsunamiWombat said:
At least they can legitimatly say they're updating the product between launches but thats only because they're selling unupgradeble proprietary appliances that force you to use their software and their hardware. Inevitably, this will be MOST of the market share in the future, but I can't help but lament how much money and buyer fatigue consumers could be saved if not for this multiple itineration release schema.

Of course, making people buy near the same thing over and over and over and over is the point now innit? Roll that beautiful cash footage.

Fortunatly, I don't need an Ipad. Because I have a goddamned computer.

PS: Greg, I noticed your forum title. Are you infact, "ain't afraid of no ghosts"?
The iPad is what it is because apple can focus only on making the best tablet, without worrying about compatibility with different software or hardware, or about making it upgradeable.
Great joke, you almost had me there.

OT: Apple are great at what they do, and what they do is sell bog standard tech at a ridiculously high price to people who will buy anything with an Apple logo on it.
oooo, ooo. You forget that they also make that bog standard tech shiny.

That's the selling point.
Of course, how else do you think they appeal to the magpie market?

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
Oh huzzah, another thing that isn't as good as it could probably be for the price that a bunch of people who know diddly squat about computers will buy and think themselves great and technical, because they own an apple product.
The thing I hate about Apple is the proprietary hardware and software, with everything on the device being funneled by Apple (god knows some people need that though, the people I have to help :mad: )
I also hate how it's not a computing device, but a status item.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Lemmings, on your marks!

It's sad to know that lots of people are still gonna buy this despite it very likely being almost the same as the previous generation with a few minor tweaks that could have easily been in said previous generations but were held back so Apple could continue to make silly money off people.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Well, I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only cynical one here. I honestly expected to see a gush of Apple fanboys stroking themselves at the thought of a slightly improved (read: battery life over an hour) and NEW NEW NEW version of the same damned thing.

Seriously, I had little enough respect for Apple as it was but this is getting pathetic now, I wonder if they'll follow the 4S route, that way they could squeeze out EVEN MORE in a year.

Man I really do hate Apple right now...yup.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hoplon said:
Wow, some of the rumours are just plain impossible

"The pixels of the the iPad 3 are small enough that images appear like printed material, one source said." apart from the whole being lit from behind which is the major difference.

"Videos should also take a lot less time to buffer and start playing because of the added processing power." really? I thought that was a bandwidth problem, nothing to do with the CPU since it's internet speed that makes them buffer in the first place.

once more in to the bullshit dear friends, once more!
This is an Apple product, mind. I'm pretty sure reality was thrown out the second "new ipad" was mentioned.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Hoplon said:
Wow, some of the rumours are just plain impossible *snip*
This is an Apple product, mind. I'm pretty sure reality was thrown out the second "new ipad" was mentioned.
well yes, but that doesn't stop the bullshit being hilarious.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Oh, so Escapist is a Mac friendly website. Otherwise you might hear about the already available quad core tablets on the market. Please no cult of Apple stuff on this website unless you are going to cover their competitors, I get enough of that on non-gaming tech sites thanks. And don't say it is because they are the most popular, Android devices out sold IOS ones 2:1 last year.

Delta342

Apr 21, 2010
Captain Booyah said:
OK, I've got to ask: is there any legitimate reason Apple keeps releasing slightly improved versions of the same product, other than it's a total money-making scam? Yeah, you could get the Ipad 3, but why not wait another few months and then get the Ipad 4? >_>
But that's the technology market in a nutshell. Why buy a new laptop next month when in a few months a new bunch of processors will be out? Why buy it then when a new speed of ram will be more common? Why buy it then when SSDs will be lower in price? If you want something in this area you just have to wait until, what is for you the best time to buy the product (unless you upgraded from the iphone 4 to the iphone 4s by buying yourself out of your contract in which case you're a moron).

But meh, that's just due to the speed of technology advancements I guess.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Tablets are so fuckin' useless. Why would anyone with a PC and a smartphone need one of those? You don't need tablets people. Don't buy useless shit.

Dec 14, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Tablets are so fuckin' useless. Why would anyone with a PC and a smartphone need one of those? You don't need tablets people. Don't buy useless shit.
Adam Jensen is right you guys!

He didn't ask for any of this.

[sub]Sorry mate, couldn't resist...[/sub]

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Let the hostilities begin once again. Of course the iPad 3 was coming out in 2012. Every one of Apple's mobile products has been updated on a yearly basis for some time now. Just can we please not be to cynical about this? I own an iPad 2. It's pretty funky, but I don't think it's the be-all and end-all of tablets. I definitely won't be getting an iPad 3, although I do respect the fact that this is a major update for the iPad.

Dec 14, 2009
Melon Hunter said:
Let the hostilities begin once again. Of course the iPad 3 was coming out in 2012. Every one of Apple's mobile products has been updated on a yearly basis for some time now. Just can we please not be to cynical about this? I own an iPad 2. It's pretty funky, but I don't think it's the be-all and end-all of tablets. I definitely won't be getting an iPad 3, although I do respect the fact that this is a major update for the iPad.
Well, I think my main problem with Apple is not their release schedule, hell everything has planned redundancy lately, and my dad seems to enjoy his iPad 2 well enough.

I think it's the smugness of the general Apple fan that everyone hates. Like everything Apple makes is a technological marvel.

They aren't.

You seem perfectly reasonable, and that's fine, nothing wrong with buying stuff you enjoy.