Rumor: The iPad 3 Cometh

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Vault101 said:
zehydra said:
The whole idea that tablets are the future of PC computing is a joke. The iPad itself is little more than an oversized iTouch.
why not though? the apple zombies dont care about that...all they care about is "wooo look its apple..its inovative...ITS APPLE"

ok mabye that was a bit harsh...but yeah..I dont "get" the apple thing
I'm really more concerned about the attitude towards tablets in general, everyone's talking about the "end of the PC", and I'm here to tell everyone that it ain't going anywhere.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Spot1990 said:
brainslurper said:
Spot1990 said:
brainslurper said:
The iPad is what it is because apple can focus only on making the best tablet, without worrying about compatibility with different software or hardware, or about making it upgradeable.
What it is is a tablet that plays second fiddle to a lot of other tablets in everything from specs to price, the only area it's actually better in is devoted fanboys.
Where are these other tablets? Have you ever even used an iPad?
iPad 2:
Screen 1024 x 768, 132 ppi
Processor 1 GHz dual-core Apple A5 custom-designed
Weight 601g
Battery up to 10 hours
RAM (not on the website but several sources place it at 512Mb
Rear camera less than 1 megapixel

32 Gb Wifi model 463 pounds.

Samsung Galaxy:
Screen 1280 x 800, 149 ppi
Processor 1 GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2
Weight 565g
Battery up to 9 hours
RAM 1 Gb
Rear camera 3 megapixel
Has Flash support

32 Gb Wifi model 453 pounds.

And yes, yes I have. Much like every other Apple device I've used (and I used them a lot while studying multimedia) I found them nice but over priced for a weaker machine.
Thank you sir for doing it before me and saving me the time. What you will have to watch out for though is that he has a tendency to continue on with no proof whatsoever and continue to spout his opinions as fact.

OT: Would rather have a Transformer prime. All that tasty Tegra 3 and what not, not to mention android.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
So much 'not care' in my brain it boggles...

No...wait...numbness settling in as the preachers of false innovation flock to the dribbling hole of Apple... AAaaand okay back to not care... So when are Intel releasing the new ivybridge chipset...ahhh better.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Tablets are so fuckin' useless. Why would anyone with a PC and a smartphone need one of those? You don't need tablets people. Don't buy useless shit.
People buy useless shit all the time, that's why Sony and Microsoft are in the console business.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
brainslurper said:
Polock said:
I don't really know what to say. I got the iPad 1 for Christmas. Its a really nice tool, and I enjoy reading on it, but I couldn't for the life of me think of a reason I would need the "2" or the "3". They are really really expensive for the average user.

To each their own I suppose, but I don't understand the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE desire to own these things that people get.

I also have an iPhone 4, and I love it (although I miss my Droid alot), but when the 4S came out, and all it really was was the "Siri" upgrade, that shut me off from ever wanting it.

But I guess people who aren't into technology and ergo don't follow it as much, are easily intrigued by this kind of stuff.
I think a common misconception is that because a new device is released each year, you need to buy one each year. I buy one, and then buy a new one when I feel like it would be worth it.
Apple is like Scientology, they will only be happy when they have all your money

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Melon Hunter said:
Let the hostilities begin once again. Of course the iPad 3 was coming out in 2012. Every one of Apple's mobile products has been updated on a yearly basis for some time now. Just can we please not be to cynical about this? I own an iPad 2. It's pretty funky, but I don't think it's the be-all and end-all of tablets. I definitely won't be getting an iPad 3, although I do respect the fact that this is a major update for the iPad.
Well, I think my main problem with Apple is not their release schedule, hell everything has planned redundancy lately, and my dad seems to enjoy his iPad 2 well enough.

I think it's the smugness of the general Apple fan that everyone hates. Like everything Apple makes is a technological marvel.

They aren't.

You seem perfectly reasonable, and that's fine, nothing wrong with buying stuff you enjoy.
Toshiba thrive here and i play onlive on it lol cant beat full quality PC games but it s
Waaghpowa said:
Adam Jensen said:
Tablets are so fuckin' useless. Why would anyone with a PC and a smartphone need one of those? You don't need tablets people. Don't buy useless shit.
People buy useless shit all the time, that's why Sony and Microsoft are in the console business.

And thats why nintendo keeps releasing the same zelda game over and over

[/quote]

CronoT

May 15, 2010
And this is why I don't do Mac. The forced obsolescence they keep putting their customers through is insulting, and, more importantly, EXPENSIVE.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Hugga_Bear said:
Well, I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only cynical one here. I honestly expected to see a gush of Apple fanboys stroking themselves at the thought of a slightly improved (read: battery life over an hour) and NEW NEW NEW version of the same damned thing.

Seriously, I had little enough respect for Apple as it was but this is getting pathetic now, I wonder if they'll follow the 4S route, that way they could squeeze out EVEN MORE in a year.

Man I really do hate Apple right now...yup.
Battery life is actually one of the few features that Apple can boast about.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
I received the Kindle Fire unexpectedly and it's a serviceable device for light Internet browsing and so-so quality video streaming. More portable than a laptop and provides greater ease of use than a smartphone (too small, imo). Then again, I'm averse to my valued electronic devices being tied to scumbag phone companies. Would not shell out for an iPad (or any similarly overpriced Apple tripe) though. Productivity device? Bullshit.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
god i hate apple, selling another tablet that does only slightly more than a smart phone and less than a laptop for an outrageous price that has almost no custom ability toward hard ware or software. And sitting next to me is a e machine desktop that if i wanted i could open it up and make is as powerful if not more than a 2011-2012 desktop.
That my friends is how products SHOULD be.

and the fact that the first ipad 2 i found on bestbuy was $499.99, and it seemed to be the cheapest, makes me cry.

For $499 i could buy that new lenovo desktop or a Dave mustain zero angle of death 2 electric guitar (look it up)
Man, for the price of a lousy Macbook Pro, you could build a beastly gaming PC or two. It was really disappointing to hear my friends brag about receiving Macbook Pros for college...so much money wasted.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
zehydra said:
The whole idea that tablets are the future of PC computing is a joke. The iPad itself is little more than an oversized iTouch.
Touch screens are antithetical to productivity.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I use mine to browse web, and read comics. the iPad2 is perfectly capable of doing both of these things. It cannot however, replace either my Xbox360, PS3 or PC as a full blown gaming item. Aside from Angry Birds, love that on the iPad ^_^

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yet another Ipad? oh ffs, this is too soon, way too soon. Glad i'm an Android fanboi :)

In all seriousness, the Ipad 2 hasn't been out long enough for the next iteration to be released. I wonder how much of the technology in 3 could have been in 2 but was held back intentionally?

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
brainslurper said:
Captain Booyah said:
OK, I've got to ask: is there any legitimate reason Apple keeps releasing slightly improved versions of the same product, other than it's a total money-making scam? Yeah, you could get the Ipad 3, but why not wait another few months and then get the Ipad 4? >_>
Every other major technology manufacturer does it too, the majority having more releases then apple (considering different products in one category). It seems like your problem is that technology is actually moving forward, whenever you buy something, there is eventually going to be something better. Apple doesn't force you to buy something new every year, their products actually last relatively long. You buy a new product when you feel that the upgrade is worth it to you.
Apple makes the whole process blatantly obvious though, was my point. Most sane people realise that Apple isn't forcing you to buy anything from them, but when they've got hordes of fans whipped up into a frenzy about their latest product that's special simply because it's the "latest", it's clear that Apple's capitalising on that reaction. I know that's how businesses work and that other companies work exactly the same way, but at least they tend to be more subtle about it.

Where on Earth did I say I had a problem with technology moving forward...?

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
CronoT said:
And this is why I don't do Mac. The forced obsolescence they keep putting their customers through is insulting, and, more importantly, EXPENSIVE.
How is this forced obsolescence?

I notice conspicuously no one has responded to my earlier, quite comprehensive post, in this thread. Instead it's just easier to wail about how expensive it is.

It's a 10" touch screen tablet - of course it's expensive. The "better" (subjective) Android tablets are not really cheaper. Well, the Eee Pad Transformer is $100 cheaper than an iPad 2, but that still puts it above the cost of a netbook. The form factor is simply expensive to make right now (the screen and touch interface itself is a large part of that cost).

I also don't see the "forced obsolescence" here - the iPad 1 still runs the most current version of iOS (just like the iPhone 3GS does, despite being two full generations behind the current model), and both continue to see updates.

The only people who seem to be talking about forced upgrades are the Apple haters who assume it's the modus operandi of all people who own Apple hardware.

As someone with a 2006 iMac and an iPhone 3GS I can tell you that's quite categorically not the case. Both are running the latest versions of their respective OS and doing quite nicely.

This is no more "forced obsolescence" than AMD and Nvidia releasing new GPUs each year - sure eventually your old GPU goes out of date, but it doesn't mean you are forced to buy a new one every year.

The iPad 1 will continue to be a very capable tablet long after the iPad 3 is released.

I'm not sure what the rules are on this forum about linking to your own posts (especially within a thread), but my thoughts on the demographic of the iPad (and tablets in general) are already mentioned. In short, we are not the audience for them (I don't own one)

Captain Booyah said:
brainslurper said:
Captain Booyah said:
OK, I've got to ask: is there any legitimate reason Apple keeps releasing slightly improved versions of the same product, other than it's a total money-making scam? Yeah, you could get the Ipad 3, but why not wait another few months and then get the Ipad 4? >_>
Every other major technology manufacturer does it too, the majority having more releases then apple (considering different products in one category). It seems like your problem is that technology is actually moving forward, whenever you buy something, there is eventually going to be something better. Apple doesn't force you to buy something new every year, their products actually last relatively long. You buy a new product when you feel that the upgrade is worth it to you.
Apple makes the whole process blatantly obvious though, was my point. Most sane people realise that Apple isn't forcing you to buy anything from them, but when they've got hordes of fans whipped up into a frenzy about their latest product that's special simply because it's the "latest", it's clear that Apple's capitalising on that reaction. I know that's how businesses work and that other companies work exactly the same way, but at least they tend to be more subtle about it.

Where on Earth did I say I had a problem with technology moving forward...?
Edit your quote up there and replace Apple and iPad with "AMD" and "Graphics card" - your argument, as stated, pretty much rails on the relentless progress of technology. Why buy a 7990? The 8990 will be out in a few months!

For some reason there seem to be special rules when Apple releases a product - namely that they are not allowed to. When any other manufacturer releases something, especially on a short release cycle, no one bats an eyelid.

setting_son

Apr 14, 2009
Koroviev said:
Hugga_Bear said:
Well, I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only cynical one here. I honestly expected to see a gush of Apple fanboys stroking themselves at the thought of a slightly improved (read: battery life over an hour) and NEW NEW NEW version of the same damned thing.

Seriously, I had little enough respect for Apple as it was but this is getting pathetic now, I wonder if they'll follow the 4S route, that way they could squeeze out EVEN MORE in a year.

My iPhone begs to differ. The battery life was always appalling; it started off unimpressive and declined spectacularly after a year. At every stage when I took it to Apple's cult HQ in the city centre, I was told (By 'a genius') that the battery life I experienced was normal. I was thus very jealous of my friend's HTC Android phone which could at least do the 9-5 work day without crapping out on him.

I've since sold the iPhone to my flatmate (Who I secretly despise) and moved onto an HTC Windows Phone - similar features, better performance, longer lasting battery.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
setting_son said:
Koroviev said:
Hugga_Bear said:

My iPhone begs to differ. The battery life was always appalling; it started off unimpressive and declined spectacularly after a year. At every stage when I took it to Apple's cult HQ in the city centre, I was told (By 'a genius') that the battery life I experienced was normal. I was thus very jealous of my friend's HTC Android phone which could at least do the 9-5 work day without crapping out on him.

I've since sold the iPhone to my flatmate (Who I secretly despise) and moved onto an HTC Windows Phone - similar features, better performance, longer lasting battery.
You had a defective battery. The Genius should have replaced it for you (or you could have done it yourself for about $25 if you were out of warranty).

My 3GS lasts *at least* a full day (and that's with wifi, 3G and bluetooth on) and it will go much longer with bluetooth off. Are you also sure you didn;t have an errant location service running? The GPS really drains the battery at light speed.

nsqared

Nov 1, 2011
Which executive left it in a bar this time?

...OT: Wow. Cool. Too bad I just got mine...

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
setting_son said:
Koroviev said:
Hugga_Bear said:

I don't have much experience with their products, other than reading reviews, but that's a bummer. So, Apple doesn't really have a whole lot of anything going for it.