Rush Limbaugh Sticks Up for Video Games

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
Huzzah to the Maha Rushie! It's good to hear Rush's take on the whole video game issue, with the added bonus of his belief that videogames are art! It's about time more people start connecting the dots on that one.

Sneaklemming said:
Im confused - so is it the liberals in america that are trying to bad games, or the conservatives?
I'm a conservative guy when I say this, there really isn't a right or left view on this issue. There exists a lot of closed minded views on videogames on both sides of the aisle, mostly because of so many soccer mom lobbyist's that view mature games as the spawn of satan.

As for Rush not being a viable voice in media, having the most listened to news radio program doesn't make you viable? Hmm, seems kind of odd. You may not follow his political views but the man is very viable to a large audience of people.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
burntheartist said:
TheBaron87 said:
I was raised liberal but I find myself becoming more and more conservative by the day, especially after stories like this.
It has nothing to do with liberal or conservative. People on both sides are attacking and defending the issue.
subject_87 said:
Hmm... I'd be willing to form an uneasy alliance with Mr. Limbaugh if he's on our side for this. Really, who'da thought that Rush Limbaugh of all people would support us?
My brain just exploded.

This is a "liberal and conservative" issue. Hardcore conservatives are anti-government- they oppose censorship. Hardcore liberals are pro-government- they support regulation. Rush is a hardcore conservative- he's against any unnecessary government.

What is the health care bill? Regardless of whether you support it or not, it increases government control. This is why conservatives are against it.

This isn't hard to understand, and it's not surprising that Rush is on the side that he is.

I guess the Internet is just used to being completely liberal.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Jumplion said:
As some other people have said, we should take our allies where we can get him. I have no idea what his stance on politics are and I really don't care, so long as we've got allies on all fronts we should be good.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about this bit of news. Just be thankful we got allies like this and hopefully more across the board and we might have a fighting chance against this nightmare that lays before us.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Putting Limbaugh on our side brings a lot of (admittedly unexpected) support to the video game industry. The biggest problem I can see is that we could theoretically get a lot of people supporting the bill now purely out of spite for Limbaugh.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I mentioned this yesterday, I would like to say.

I'm still aghast that Rush would pick a side, let alone ours. And even scarier is he's right.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
You ever get the feeling you've slipped into an alternate dimension? Yeah, I'm getting that right now.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
subject_87 said:
Hmm... I'd be willing to form an uneasy alliance with Mr. Limbaugh if he's on our side for this. Really, who'da thought that Rush Limbaugh of all people would support us?
Just about anybody who knows modern politics to be honest.

The Bandit said:
My brain just exploded.

This is a "liberal and conservative" issue. Hardcore conservatives are anti-government- they oppose censorship. Hardcore liberals are pro-government- they support regulation. Rush is a hardcore conservative- he's against any unnecessary government.

What is the health care bill? Regardless of whether you support it or not, it increases government control. This is why conservatives are against it.

This isn't hard to understand, and it's not surprising that Rush is on the side that he is.

I guess the Internet is just used to being completely liberal.
This is it.

But people, do not think "democrat=liberal, republican=conservative". There's more horse crap in that thinking than a stable. There are plenty of republicans (read: almost every single one of them) who are very liberal and the idea that this is any place 'in the center' is absolutely bogus.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Go there. See where you place. No, don't read the rest of this, take the test.

If you aren't in the bottom right (I.E. you believe in a smaller, government (THIS WOULD MEAN AGAINST REGULATION AGAINST MEDIA INCLUDING VIDEO GAMES) and you believe in individual rights (THIS WOULD MEAN AGAINST COMMUNISM WHICH WOULD MEAN YOUR FAVORITE VIDEO GAMES WOULD PROBABLY NOT BE MADE [HIGH PROBABILITY HERE, CHECK NORK OR ANY OTHER COMMUNIST COUNTRY])) you should probably figure out WHY you support ideas that do not go hand in hand with your hobby.

Also, the positions of the 2008 US election stuffs is off. Rather, it's not off based on how the media viewed them but off on their actual beliefs. For example, Obama is actually in the top left, around the same spot Bush is (nobody should argue this, the Health Care bill is incredibly left and incredibly authoritarian... of course the PATRIOT Act is heavily left as well, but more authoritarian than anything). Palin is much lower on the authoritarian side of things, but McCain is about where he should be.

Rush is somewhere in the bottom right. He believes strongly in individual rights and strongly against government. The surprise would be him NOT supporting the video game industry.

TheIr0nMike

Mar 3, 2008

Well, I do preach that help is help, no matter where it comes from. Maybe with this, the middle american moms will back off.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I don't get it. Limbaugh has been unusually rational these past few months, somewhat out of character.

P.S. Thanks

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
WOW! So...this is what it feels like to agree with Rush Limbaugh...I had though I would be left feeling dirtier...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
To quote many a source: WHAAAAAaaaaa?
This is unexpected but taking into account those who listen to Rush every day, this is a point in gaming's favor. Take the win.
Sir John the Net Knight said:
I would not begin to question anyone's decision to defend free speech regardless of their political party. But in all honesty, do you really expect that the liberal media would stand up for us? I saw a clip from Blizzcon on "The Soup" on E! earlier today. And the entire point of that clip was to make people like us look like retarded troglodytes who've never come in contact with women. Hey aren't a lot of the people here women? I could have sworn they were. But yeah, they still lump us in with the stereotypical pocket protectors, taped glasses, stupid hair...actually this is what the liberals think we are...

[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't let things that pop out of The Soup's arse get to you too much. The Soup is strictly satire of talk shows and many times has poked fun at Rush which tends to alienate many grandmas who watch or listen to Rush religiously.
If such a clip came from The Daily Show then I would be more concerned that such a portrayal might be taken a bit more seriously. But Jon Stewart and his producers know better.
If I had have seen that clip from The Soup, I would have laughed...a little bit. Anything from E! these days is trash and only spiralling downhill faster each day. Much as media these days is getting worse in narrow agendas and trash, I still have faith that most people still know better. Especially with liberals these days doing a good job of throwing our country in the trash heap even moreso than W did. And to be honest I am not sure anymore if W is as much to blame for the economy as many would prefer he was. Read up on Herbert Hoover sometime and the flack he took for something that occured just as his administration was getting started.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
Well I guess if a conservative person think games are great and should have the support of the first amendment then hopefully the supreme court will too.

Although I'm incredible aggrevated that a country 1000+ miles away decides what hobbies I can enjoy.
this

we brit's want our games too! even if our defense secretary cant keep his mouth shut!(ok i admire him for saying it but i dont agree with him)

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
I'm not a fan of this guy (or really any political radio voice in general) but Rush has scored major points with me today.