Rush Limbaugh Sticks Up for Video Games

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
"Your approval fills me with shame." -- Roy, The Order of the Stick.

Still, hey, glad to find some common ground with the guy. We just had the Rally to Restore Sanity (and/or Fear), so let's not immediately go back to "zomg Limbaugh is teh devilz!!!1"

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
samsonguy920 said:
Especially with liberals these days doing a good job of throwing our country in the trash heap even moreso than W did. And to be honest I am not sure anymore if W is as much to blame for the economy as many would prefer he was. Read up on Herbert Hoover sometime and the flack he took for something that occured just as his administration was getting started.
I know this isn't the R&P forum and thus not the place for this, but, uh...

Yeah. I'll just let that stand.

thejoshualee

Mar 12, 2009
I'm a conservative and I listen to Rush quite a bit. This doesn't surprise me at all.
Arnold, though he claims to be a republican, almost always falls on the liberal side of the fence, probably because he suffers from the same affliction that most politicians have: He uses government power to gain popularity and votes. Liberals and Conservatives both throw away much of their views if votes are on the line.

Rush makes his living on being hated as much as on being loved. He has pissed off the republican base more than once because his conservative views are not in line with political trends.

Look at John Huntsman in Utah. He vetoed an identical bill that passed through a very republican Utah governmental machine- because it wasn't conservative. Too bad he is in China now or I'd know who I would want for the next president.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Sneaklemming said:
Im confused - so is it the liberals in america that are trying to bad games, or the conservatives?
There's people on both sides attacking and defending video games.

N7 Ruiz

Nov 23, 2009
Well I dont see eye to eye with Rush at all but this I do see with him on the same level.

Norikue

Jan 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
As I said in the forum thread on this subject, having Rush Limbaugh on side makes me feel sullied and unclean.

But hey, free ally. I guess one shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.
I feel the same way...

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
Rush Limbaugh, saying something reasonable and backing it up with a decent argument. Yeah, I'm calling it. The world's ending in 2012.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I...I agree with Rush Limbaugh...I may have to go commit seppuku now.

As for people confused on the liberal/conservative sides in this, it's kind of a myth that conservatives are all about "less government" and liberals are all "more government". It's how they want that control applied.

The left often puts more effort into social and economic issues, i.e. health-care, education, civil rights. The right is usually more interested in defense and moral issues. Anti-gay marriage, anti-abortion, and immigration laws all increase government control, and these are things typically associated with republicans.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Well, this can be a great thing, because, it brings more attention to us, not to mention if they succeed with games they will probably go for talk radio next... then movies, then comic books, then trains....

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Bolo The Great said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
Bolo The Great said:
I think he's made the right decision (he even implied videogames were art!) but i think maybe for the wrong reasons. The cynical part of me thinks it's more of a stick to beat the democrats with than a commitment to videogames as such but we should take free allies like this as we can get them.

Censorship is one of the things i think thr right has right and we should try and publicise this issue ammougst anyone who has any kind of free-speech interests. You can say what you like about Limbaugh but at least he IS commited to the 1st amendment and i don't see any other public media figure, i mean this is perfect Daily Show fodder for christs sake!, defending videogames in the slightest. So i have to give him credit where it is due.

The Republican party would do well to stake a calim to free speech as a core value becuase at the moment all they seem to be doing is frankly crazy antics and weird rhetoric. They need to take a leaf out of the UK conservative's book and try and re-brand themselves as more of a 'smart power' party rather than a 'fucking crazy' party.
Is the right reason always the Democrat/Liberal/Obama reason? Do you even know that the new wave of conservatives coming into Washington are Constitutionalists? Do you know that most conservatives hate the Westboro Baptist Church? Have you considered the possibility that Hollywood might be a major player in this bill as it might remove the gaming industry as competition? Are you aware that it's mostly liberals that are in the anti-free speech arenas now? Do you ever think for yourself instead of letting Jon Stewart think for you?

Seriously, we have close to 400 comments on this in a separate thread. There are actually people who put their support of the medium in question because Limbaugh defended it, and are still bluntly in denial that this law was authored by a highly liberal democrat. I am dumbfounded by the amount of people on this site who refuse to research this issue and simply allow liberal propaganda to guide their viewpoints.

I would not begin to question anyone's decision to defend free speech regardless of their political party. But in all honesty, do you really expect that the liberal media would stand up for us? I saw a clip from Blizzcon on "The Soup" on E! earlier today. And the entire point of that clip was to make people like us look like retarded troglodytes who've never come in contact with women. Hey aren't a lot of the people here women? I could have sworn they were. But yeah, they still lump us in with the stereotypical pocket protectors, taped glasses, stupid hair...actually this is what the liberals think we are...

[/quote]

Are you aware im british and could give a fuck? Your pathological repetition of "Liberals" makes you should like one of those hitler sign carrying tea-party crazies. [i]"The liberals want to kill Grandma! The Liberals! The liberals! The Liberals!!!!!!!!"[/i][/quote]

...and this is the problem I have with Rush Limbaugh and the whole state of politics in the U.S. today. Everybody is always all like, "Those Liberals/Conservatives/Republicans/Democrats are EVIL!!! They are going to fuck up the entire country! You have to vote Conservative/Liberal/Democrat/Republican or else the Liberals/Conservatives/Republicans/Democrats are going to ruin this country/destroy your rights/take all your money and give it to illegal immigrants/pull the plug on Grandma..." and on, and on and on.

Let's get one thing straight. The [B]polarization[/B] in American politics is what is destroying our country and eroding our rights. Not the liberals. Not the conservatives. Not the Democrats. Not the Republicans. It's us.

Sadly, government has become a business, and most politicians are career politicians. Like any good businessperson, a politician will give their customers what they want. If you want your candidate to be a liberal, because you think the conservatives are evil, they'll be as liberal as they can be, and won't give the conservatives an inch of ground on policy issues. The opposite is also true. The media capitalizes on this, giving us coverage of candidates and policy that reinforce our biases, even if it pushes us further away from the truth and sound decision-making.

We need to look at INDIVIDUALS in government, and gauge them based upon what their INDIVIDUAL thoughts and ideals are. We need to [B]be[/B] individuals in terms of what we think about how this country should run, and how we view the issues.

I agree with Rush Limbaugh in terms of his stance on gaming. However, I disagree with him because he is profiteering from the polarization of American politics.

As for the rest of you, stop blaming the Liberals/Conservatives/Republicans/Democrats for every policy decision that doesn't jive with your views.

What you should do, is e-mail your local congresspersons, ask them to explain their stance on the policies that are most important to you, and if you disagree with them, don't vote for them. Simple.

OT:

Kudos to Limbaugh for standing up to these assholes. The thesis behind this kind of legislation is that people are too dumb to take responsibility for themselves, and therefore, we need the Government to protect us from the bad decisions that we are inevitably destined to make.

Fuck. That. Shit.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Odd considering his opinion on religion. I'm not saying that religious people must hate videogames but usually with exception on libertarianism means they are willing to make more exceptions. He obviously isn't a saint tho so why should he reprimand videogames.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Kavonde said:
samsonguy920 said:
Especially with liberals these days doing a good job of throwing our country in the trash heap even moreso than W did. And to be honest I am not sure anymore if W is as much to blame for the economy as many would prefer he was. Read up on Herbert Hoover sometime and the flack he took for something that occured just as his administration was getting started.
I know this isn't the R&P forum and thus not the place for this, but, uh...

Yeah. I'll just let that stand.
Yeah I got carried away there....discussion of politics is viral.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Commander Breetai said:
"Rush Limbaugh Looks For a Way To Earn Quick Brownie Points; Finds It in Protesting Game Law"
Sooooo, your for the restriction in games? What does your point have with this thread, I'll wait, actually no I won't. Nothing. Take your politics bashing somewhere else.

First off: Limbaugh, even though I don't agree with the guy a lot has been the target of laws to "silence" him, now that it's happening to someone else he isn't jumping on a political band wagon against us, he's taking the same position that he would that if it was against himself. I wouldn't call it Kudo's I would call this an act of character.

Second: Whats the deal with the trolling Skeletor? (I know what your image is robo tech) It's just that your jumping into a touchy subject and yourself trying to get "brownie points" bothers me.

So please, just go outside and leave this discussion to the adults. (if your 10 years old and can contribute to this discussion then I welcome you(ie. you don't have to be an adult, you just have to act like one))

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
I don't like Rush Limbaugh due to his logical inconcisten
Zhukov said:
As I said in the forum thread on this subject, having Rush Limbaugh on side makes me feel sullied and unclean.
This